March 23, 2010
Richard Pazdur, M.D., F.A.C.P.
Director
Office of Oncology Drug Products
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
richard.pazdur@fda.hhs.gov

RE: Opposition to TDM-1 Fast Track Application

Dear Dr. Pazdur:

As you are no doubt aware, Genentech intends to seek fast track approval of TDM-1 based on the results of a single-armed, Phase II trial.

It is our understanding from the sponsor that the FDA was asked two years ago about what would be required for fast track approval of TDM-1, and that the agency took the position then that a randomized trial would be necessary.

Despite this clear direction from the agency, the company has completed -- and will seek FDA approval based on the results of – one single-armed trial, TDM4374g.

Breast Cancer Action believes, as the FDA does, that only sufficiently large, randomized trials will give us the information we need about drug efficacy and safety. We urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to require the sponsor to submit Phase III data before you consider approval of TDM-1 for breast cancer.

We understand that there is an important unmet medical need for people with advanced breast cancer whose treatment options have run out. We desperately hope that TDM-1 proves to be a beneficial option for these people. But we oppose sacrificing drug approval standards on the altar of hasty access.

As you know, the FDA used to require the results from two Phase III trials before considering approval of a drug for the market. More recently, a single randomized trial has been found by the agency to be sufficient in some cases. We think this weakens standards for drug approval. Please do not weaken them further by allowing marketing based on a small, single-armed Phase II trial.

We are in conversation with the sponsor about an expanded access program for TDM-1. While we applaud the company’s desire to make sure that those who might benefit have access to the drug, we are very concerned that the company intends to use what they are calling the “Expanded Access Study” as a substitute for a Phase III trial.

The Expanded Access program will not provide Phase III data. The FDA must insist on sufficient randomized results before approving TDM-1 for the market,

Sincerely,

Barbara A. Brenner
Executive Director

Note: As a matter of policy, in order to avoid the fact or appearance of a conflict of interest, Breast Cancer Action does not accept funding from Genentech or from any other pharmaceutical or biotech company.

runtolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
StephN

Re: BCA fighting to keep tdm1 off market

"But we oppose sacrificing drug approval standards on the altar of hasty access."

Tired cliche! Is this the best they can do?

I have to say that while at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium just last December, I heard more than one "mover and shaker in the cancer research world" say that we have a system of approval that is too ponderous now. The top oncology brains in the world are, as we speak, meeting and looking for ways to incorporate trials and data at a more efficient rate.

This revised system can shake out in both directions - drugs that don't fulfill the promise from labs to humans and those that do better than expected.

It seems to me that BCA just wants to slow down the approval and not have any special dispensation for this drug.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Rich66

Should the phase II have been better designed? Is TDM-1 available via "compassionate use"?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Jackie07

Here's a list of the 'accomplishments' posted on the BCA website:

http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=recent-victories

I wonder how many of their members are breast cancer survivors... I'm going to dig into the Tamoxifen thing...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Jackie07

Found it!

http://www.bhg.com/health-family/con...isk-reduction/

"The FDA approved tamoxifen to be used for breast cancer risk reduction in women who are at high risk and not in average-risk women."

I guess BCA is more of a 'watch dog' type of organization that wants to make sure no unnecessary sufferings are forced upon us 'desperate' breast cancer patients. They seem to have a point. But to delay TDM-1 seems to be somewhat extreme...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-12-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Lien

Hmm. The point is, that if it becomes too easy, the big Pharma companies can just fast-track meds that are no better than the old meds at high prices.

If they really wanted to prove that TDM-1 works, they should have complied with the rules and should have organised a large double blind phase 3 trial. Lots of people who desperately needed the med would have had access to it. Ofcourse, that would mean that some would have gotten a placebo, and when you think you found the magic bullet, that's a hard thing to do. But we have thought we had the magic bullet before, and sometimes we were wrong. There have to be some safeguards in the system.

So I think if they want to market the new combo, they will have to invest in giving it to a lot of people, even as compassionate use. That way there will be enough data.

But who am I? U dont even live in the US.

Love

Jacqueline

(wishing everybody would get the right drug to keep them dancing with NED)
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Ellie F

I understand what the arguments seem to be however I am yet again dismayed as even when drugs get approved in the States it takes ages for the UK to catch up. It both saddens and angers me that more sisters will be lost for whom T-DM1 may be their magic bullet.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Unregistered

Torn between "oy!" and "wtf?????"

whose side are they on?
Chris
Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Soccermom

In my personal experience BCA is a rather "radical" organization that tends to sabotage the very disease its supposed to be fighting against by making outlandish comments and press releases for publicity sake...
Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 04-13-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Unregistered

Jacqueline, and all
I don't think it's an issue of they "did not follow the rules". There are in fact Phase III studies underway. As well as multiple Phase II studies. With a totally new investigational therapy they first need to do Phase I (safety) then Phase II (continued safety and efficacy) studies. These are necessary prerequisites to a Phase III.

Consider the difficulty of recruiting patients before these steps are taken: Here, you can try the approved therapy which we know works for some people and might work for you or you can try this other therapy that we have no idea if it will be safe, or work at all.

True, to get really strong data you need to have valid, large trials. But you can't get to valid, large trials without some smaller steps first. And all these take many years. Plus the many many years it takes to develop the drug itself - TDM1 has been in development for over 10 years.

I do not see "big Pharma" as the villain - or at least if they are, there are many others complicit including the FDA. True, they are in it to make money, but not ONLY to make money and internally they struggle mightily to keep sight of their mission to save lives.

I think too often they all lose perspective - for example to me it is ludicrous to prevent access to not-yet-approved therapies to patients who's only other option is to die quickly from their disease, in the interest of "protecting the patient". Certain death from cancer is a pretty serious "adverse event".

Or, worst of all, lets say that someone actually does invent a "magic bullet" - even a less than 100% one such as TDM1 which has an extraordinary clinical benefit rate considering the heavily treated population that has been studied so far. How many people died or had metastatic recurrence waiting for Herceptin??? How many is too many?

What does BCA or the FDA have to say to the families of all the people who die waiting for "proof"? Oops, sorry about the wait but your mom/sister/daughter/father died for the greater good of validating the data?

Sorry, I'll climb down off my soapbox, but in my opinion BCA should have as part of their "strategic mission" supporting efforts to (as Steph notes) speed up the process by improving the applicability of the science.
c
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Rich66

Quote:
to me it is ludicrous to prevent access to not-yet-approved therapies to patients who's only other option is to die quickly from their disease, in the interest of "protecting the patient". Certain death from cancer is a pretty serious "adverse event".

Or, worst of all, lets say that someone actually does invent a "magic bullet" - even a less than 100% one such as TDM1 which has an extraordinary clinical benefit rate considering the heavily treated population that has been studied so far. How many people died or had metastatic recurrence waiting for Herceptin??? How many is too many?

What does BCA or the FDA have to say to the families of all the people who die waiting for "proof"? Oops, sorry about the wait but your mom/sister/daughter/father died for the greater good of validating the data?
Boom. Boom. Boom. outta da park. Someone post this at ASCO.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Nancy L

I don't support BCA. I strongly suggest you all get linked into Faster Cures, an organization that wants to bypass all the BS with the US government bureacracy. It was set up by Michael Milken after he was told he only had 18 months to live. He didn't accept that answer. Here is their website you may want to visit

http://www.fastercures.org/

I believe any metastatic cancer patient should be allowed to take any drug that has passed Phase I trials. It should be my choice, not the governments. If I sign the papers and understand the risks, then give me the drug and learn what happens to me. It can't possibly be worse than dying with no hope. I have already watched that happen to my sister.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
hutchibk

Steph, Soccermom, Unreg/C, Rich and Nancy... bullseye.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
Pam P

Bullseye from me too!!!

Like others I'm one of the people who are running out of options and desparately waiting to get access to t-dm1. I had hope it might be available by end of 2010 or beginning of 2011. Now that's shot and I'm hoping I'm not going to be one of the "oops"!
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
Carolyns

What a load of crap. As a heavily pretreated Stage IV Cancer Warrior I am more limited to Phase I studies... if I can find one. I have participated in 3 clinical trials and got the placebo once (cancer progressed). I am a lab rat and do what I must to live. If I am drowning in a river do you think it matters if you perform more tests on the life saving ropes while I sink below the surface of the water? Yeah, we found this rope better than no rope at all... where the heck did she go?... whoops I guess we lost her.

TDM1 just gave me 7 more months... Tykerb at least 6 months... the science is moving fast data travels slow. No one in my situation would slow the science to wait for the data.

If I was standing out on a ledge TV cameras filming no one would let me die. Everything would be done without regard to risk or cost.

Healthy folks with options don't want to enter trials. Stage IV patients (many of us) are getting more limited and NEED trials to keep going. Groups like this seem to want to prevent us from getting access. Expanded access is a joke so we can't go there. Trials that are further along don't want us because we are too heavily treated. We walk a tight rope that is difficult for anyone else to imagine.... until it is them or their loved one.

Give me a break.
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
Sheila

Maybe we should start a new campaign...our photo, with the caption

I'M DYING TO TRY THIS DRUG

which in fact is true for many

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Joe
Webmaster

Great Idea Shelia,

I am sure that we have many prolific writers in our group who can also write to the FDA.
In case you missed it:
Richard Pazdur, M.D., F.A.C.P.
Director
Office of Oncology Drug Products
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
richard.pazdur@fda.hhs.gov

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
StephN

Question Re: BCA fighting to keep tdm1 off market

This is the part of the above letter from Breast Cancer Action that I don't understand AT all:

"We are in conversation with the sponsor about an expanded access program for TDM-1. While we applaud the company’s desire to make sure that those who might benefit have access to the drug, we are very concerned that the company intends to use what they are calling the “Expanded Access Study” as a substitute for a Phase III trial.

The Expanded Access program will not provide Phase III data. The FDA must insist on sufficient randomized results before approving TDM-1 for the market,"

I have not heard that there even IS "expanded access" to this drug. Joe or anyone heard of the referred to "Expanded Access Study??"

And BCA is in "conversation with the sponsor" about expanded access??

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Joe
Webmaster

Expanded access is another name for "Compassionate Use"

Christine and I have been meeting with Genentech since last June's ASCO meeting lobbying this issue.

Unfortunately because of liability issues, Genentech could not release the drug for this purpoise until they could provide data to the FDA based on the phase II study.

Here is a copy of their press release from the Symposium: T-DM1 Press Release

I think this excerpt from ther release sums it all up:

As assessed by independent review, T-DM1 shrank the tumors (also known as objective response) in 33 percent of women with advanced (metastatic) HER2-positive breast cancer that had worsened following previous treatment. Women in the study had already received an average of seven drugs for metastatic disease, including chemotherapy, trastuzumab and lapatinib, prior to receiving T-DM1.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Carolyns

Interesting. At last year's annual NBCC I was an attendee. I felt very much alone as a Stage IV warrior. My greatest concerns were different from the majority of attendees. I went to the NBCC Comparative Effectiveness Presentation hosted by Sean Tunis MD.

The concerns that I expressed were in two categories - A). Over half of the chemos that had worked on me to beat back breast cancer were not approved for Breast Cancer. What if there isn't any data that proves / confirms what is already working? B). Trials for heavily pretreated patients like me. How could I get into trials to stay alive when trials wouldn't accept me or were closed? He mentioned expanded access and compassionate care... He also said that groups could be formed to study and gather data so that people like me could get treatment (sounds like what Joe mentioned). This came up when I mentioned that over 100 women had applied and had not made it into a TDM1 trial that filled up quickly.

I was finally able to get into a TDM1 trial but found all of the other options to be straw man options. They sound comforting until you reach for them and find out that in each situation there is are very valid reasons one of the parties that needs to be involved in the solution can't. Everyone feels just awful about this... terrible... but only one dies waiting and hoping.

This is Sean's information and he seemed very informative and nice. As I said during my ramblings he was the featured speaker at the NBCC conference in DC last year so I am assuming that this organization might also be involved in these sorts of issues.

Sean Tunis MD, MSc
Director, Center for Medical Technology Policy
www.cmtpnet.org

This topic makes me ill and scared out of my mind. Carolyn

Last edited by Carolyns; 04-14-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote