HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
eric

I know this is probably reduntant since we probably went over this recently, but I'm wondering what some of you do to boost your immune system. My wife's blood counts are good but she seems to be having trouble fighting off some infections and the onc says it's due to all the chemo that she's gotten. When I asked what could be done to boost her immune he said "nothing" but I have to believe there has to be something that could help. I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks, Eric
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Ruth

Eric,

There are many things that I think can honestly build your immune system. Granted chemo takes its toll on you physically and sometimes the energy it takes to make yourself do things to help is hard. I know we have talked about supplements and nutrition so I won't go there. The number one thing is exercise. Even if she is only able to walk 20 minutes a day that is enough - as long as it is brisk enough that her heart rate increases. Accupunture and a huge dose of laughter can help. She needs adequate sleep at night during the right hours and a method to reduce stress - whether it is yoga or mediation. I worked on building my immune system through my chemo treatments. It was not easy changing old habits but it was worth it in the end.
Please let me know if you would like any additional food recipes etc...be glad to help.
Peace, Ruth
Old 09-17-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
jaenlle

Eric,
I have a Chemo relaxation tape that I would be willing to send you. Let me know if you are interested.

janelle
Old 09-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Sandy H.

Hi Eric: I do lots of supplemenets, exercise, drink as much water as I can. As for supplements that is a big question on what to take and not to take. I do only what my supplement consultant tells me. She is an R.N. and researches all things for the immune system. Her name is Barbara Johnson, 410-628-6877. I would suggest you give her a call. She is free to consult with and if nothing else you will learn alot as she is always interested in the immune system and how to keep it working. She is not against conventional treatments but believes one needs to do both. If you enjoy talking to someone regarding this topic she is a good one to do it with. I spend hours on the phone sharing my research with her. She is a good listener and I love that. She says she had learned much from just talking to people. She just returned from a huge convention in Las Vegas regarging whole foods that matches the microbiotic diet that is so easy to do. Says she went to meet others doing what she is doing and getting new resources. She is not pushy in selling anything and can tell me vendors to stay away from as well. She is very hard to reach as she is very busy consulting all over the world. I just keep trying. I hope this helps. Hugs, Sandy
Old 09-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Karen

Hi, I almost at this a full year now and as soon as I was diagnosed and had my lumpectomy I have been doing weekly acupuncture treatments and mushroom supplements all to boost my immune system. To date I have had minimal issues with my immune system, energy is not as high as usual but I have worked full time since the start. Hope this helps. Just so you know my acupuncturist is also an herbalist. Take care and keep the faith.