HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #1
JoJo

Hi ladies, just letting you know that I don't have children neither, as my husband (for 7 years) and I had infertility issues. I was 35 when diagnosed, 36 when recurred. After cancer setbacks, we decided not to have babies, and not opt for adoption (cost factor).

So, I'm thinking: what can I do about it? I'm also volunteering at a school twice a week so that I could hang around children. Plus, I already told my husband that if my weekly Thursdays with my niece / nephew isn't enough for me, then I'll look up Brothers / Sisters or that kind of thing. Those kids are unfortunate and lead hard lives, so they really need good role model mentors. (Sorry I forgot the name for this group, but I'm sure you know which organization I'm referring to.)

If you need to outlet your maternal urges more often, you could offer babysitting for your friends' kids, nieces / nephews. How about helping out at a group home for girls? How about volunteering at a daycare? How about volunteering at a community art / music class for kids?... The list goes on & on... It's true that it won't be like the same as having our own babies, but unfortunately this is a sad fact for us, we need to face it, accept, and find ways to deal around it (i.e. adoption, fertility treatments, other creative ways to hang with kids).

I can so relate to your issues, this is a very sensitive topic for us.