HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Unhappy PLEADING (Feels He Cannot Wait For DFCI)

Girls, I am asking for a quick response if you all could. I am the caregiver and feel the only advice I can give to my husband is from you, my warriors! We went to his 2nd opinion with another Oncologist on the 19th, very spiritual man with great insight for cancer and one thing he did say is that he feels treatment choices can wait until Dana Farber on July 2. First he wanted to get more info and we wanted a 2nd opinion from him; another Oncologist nearby with an unbias approach to the situation (our Oncologist went from private practice to Chief Oncologist and Professor to a Cancer Hospital=really do not wanna leave him!) Both doctors said that they think the cancer can wait until our appointment at DFCI and so did we.

NOT!!!! Hubby is telling me that he feels more bone pain than he did at dx. His last treatment of Taxotere was 4/12, that seems to be a LONG TIME TO US!!! Today he is getting stat x-rays to check those spots for possible radiation. Will radiation interfere with his need to wait for DFCI appointment & treatment suggestions? Should I try to persuade him to wait for radiation? He was fine last week and thought he could wait. Whatever he choses I will respect his decision, it is his body and he is the only one that knows how he feels. If you talked to me 2 weeks ago I would have said we have time and he can wait, that we have hope and we are on top of our game. Today I would say that complete fear has encompassed my soul!! Tough job being a caregiver, not complaining though because I always tell him that if he had to get sick then I am happy I am the women that would see him through! I went nuts trying to book these appointments, faxing, phone tag, interuptions during work, gathering records, mailing discs, applying for DFCI approvals, e-mailing doctors and institutes........no one knows better than YOU. Again, not complaining just voicing my fear of losing assistance in our new treatment stategy from DFCI. If we have to start chemo then that is what we will do, but I do fear being removed from their care.

He may be having some anxiety about the pain and maybe thinking the cancer is multiplying out of control, and it could certainly be. I am worried that since we had to cancel an appointment in November 2006 because he was so ill he could not wait for a 2nd opinion, that Dana Farber may not allow us to book any more appointments or disqualify us for future clinical trials if we go there having radiation or being on a new chemo plan.. I do not want him to cut his nose despite his face. Sorry this is so long, I am blown away at the sudden urgency, yet I totally understand because he knew he was sick then and he knows he feels worse now.

Is there anything I can say to help him to wait? Should we go ahead & start chemo again despite having to wait for DFCI? I know the decision is his, "it is all about him"!! Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. Haven't been this petrified since we first heard the word CANCER and my fears are interferring with my normally rational thoughts. Crying inside and heart is bleeding. So sorry for you girls to hear such a desperate post, I know sometimes I make you cry and I am sorry for that too, but no one knows these things better than My Angels!!

Tomorrow is my birthday June 23 and I think you all know what I want for my B-day gift!! Until we talk again do not worry about me girls, for I always have and always will still BELIEVE!!!!
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!

Last edited by Believe51; 06-22-2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: did a boo-boo
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
tousled1

I feel the anguish in your post. How lucky your husband is to have such a wonderful caregiver. I'm not a doctor but I feel that waiting for the July 2nd consultant will do no harm. July 2nd is just around the corner and if I'm correct in reading your post, your husband is still receiving Herceptin, Zometa and Tamoxifen. I can certainly understand your husband's concern with the increased pain as I suffer from severe bone pain myself. I just had a bone scan to rule out bone mets -- luckily it's not cancer. Your husband's increased pain may be caused by degenerative changes not related to the cancer. I don't know what you can say to alleviate his fears because I know first hand that words do not help. If the oncologist thinks treatment can wait until July 2 then I would have to trust that decision. Although the taxatore has been stopped, your husband still has the benefit of the other drugs. Again, I applaud you for your dedication in being such a great caregiver. Caregivers just don't seem to get the credit that they so deserve.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Barbara H.

I am also a patient at Dana Farber. I also suggest that your husband wait. However, I would call the office of the doctor he is going to see and explain his fears and the pain he is having. There might be a possibility to move up his appointment.
Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
SoCalGal

CALL Dana Farber

I agree with Barbara. Put a call in to Dana Farber. Ask to speak with the Doctor that you will be seeing - if he's unavailable ask for a call back for advice on what HE WANTS you to do. I think if you pose your question/call to his nurse or assistant and say you are not sure what "he'd" (the new doc) would want you to do about these new symptoms (pain, etc.) that you will get a response. I would also say that your referring doctor said you should call the new doctor for advice. I would also say that you are worried and having a gut feeling that he needs to be seen NEXT week - not JULY2nd.

Okay - that being said, I am pretty sure that toughing out the week will not adversely effect his prognosis - in other words it's okay to wait except that waiting with pain & fear is a HORRIBLE place to be.

I can't imagine the isolation that your husband must feel as a MAN with this disease. I know how isolated I feel and I have such a giant support community everywhere I look. Please tell your husband to stay strong and to channel our energy in riding out the week!
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 06-22-2007 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: incomplete sentences possibly due to being an old chick. or chemo brain.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Bev

My gut feeling is that gut feelings are usually right on. Great advice from all. If you can maybe offer to to do standby, if someone cancels. Men are more more reserved about iiterating complaints. Is there a real advantage waiting for DFCI? Are they doing a revolutionary treatment plan?

Well you know it's like all C treatment, you have to study your facts quickly and make the best decision you can. So find peace in that you're doing the best you can. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
chrisy

Hi Marie,
If I am understanding the dates in your "signature", your husband is having an MRI of his head (or is it skull?) and also having radiation both next week. And he currently has an appt at DFCI Monday of the following week. Right?

Waiting is just the hardest thing - especially when having symptoms. It definitely makes the mind race. It's so hard to not imagine the cancer just going crazy behind your back.

On the other hand, you have 2 oncologists telling you he can wait another week. I've had oncs tell me that, too - and part of my problem is that I always see this as urgent and want it taken care of NOW. Actually yesterday would be better! Although for me it's hard to hear "it's ok to wait a week", it is also somewhat reassuring.

I like the suggestions of seeing if you can waitlist, or at least let the doctor know your concerns. Although I know it's easy for me to say, but you are talking about not even a week and a half - and in the meantime you are also getting more info with the MRI. This will help in whatever decision process.

I don't know if you have your eye on something specific in terms of a treatment plan from DFCI, but if you are thinking of a some sort of chemo trial, getting a chemo treatment next week (even if you could!) might preclude getting into a trial, or at least delay it. The trial I'm in required 2 weeks since your last chemo. Besides, what chemo would you even do? I thought part of your goal for getting the 2nd opinion was to get guidance on WHAT chemo, if any, to use. I'm not sure if getting radiation might also cause a problem, so it's a good idea to try and get a green light on that if you're considering it.

I wouldn't worry about being blacklisted by Dana Farber - the very nature of the beast is that crap happens, I'm sure they understand this. I'd be astonished if they refused to take appointments for him or DQ him from future trials unless the trial protocols didn't fit based on the chemo he has taken (and note my comment above)

Keep the faith - I know you will.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Thumbs up He's Waiting, He's Waiting

Yes all of my Loves, he is going to wait until 7/2 for Dana Farber. When he had an emergency visit to his Oncologist on 6/22 (first visit I did not attend still in trama 'bout it) he said: "Yes I am going to put you on a chemo regime AFTER DFCI, for now I will only offer a series of radiation in the lower spine". When we went to the Radiologist he explained the side effects vs. benefits. Hubby chose to wait even for radiation we do not want to exhaust any options and there is no dire need for it with DFCI in the near future. The only option at the time was the rads to lower spine and he's waiting on that.

Thank You My Angels for the advice and support, we love you all!! So glad the doctor was firm. Also, when I left work to go and pick him up for the Radiologist appointment he was sitting in his chair at home. Soon as I walked in he said "Oohhh, I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go!" Firmly and gently I handed him his sneakers! God this man is so cute, well that was until we went to the appointment, all through it he said I would pay!!!!!!! (I know, I'm so mean!) I bought him lunch at a quaint little deli and called it even!

We went on to have a spectacular day!!

Everlastingly....Believe51...(Marie G)
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
kacey

2nd opinion

Marie--I haven't replied before because I haven't had the experience that you are going through I'm so happy that he is waiting since you don't want to mess up any trial that he may get into. I will be praying for you both.
Kacey
Groshong placed 10-13-05 and chemo started
TCH x6 and continue Herceptin for one year every 3 wks
Rads x 33 (at the end of chemo) finished 4-01-06
20 months NED
kacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
mslinda

Marie, I also haven't had the experience you are going through. Also I haven't been through what your husband is going through, other than having bc. My hasband had had different things, but nothing so serious as this.

I just want to say how much I admire you. I will be praying for you and your husband. May you find great results with Dana Farber. That will be my prayer specifically.

Love and best wishes to you and your wonderful husband.

Linda Nance
S. Mississippi
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Believe51

Talking Thanks For Loving Us

From the bottom of our hearts and deep from our souls we want to thank you all for your unconditional love, knowledge, prayers and the gift of your friendships.

Thanks to all our Angels you are surely Warriors!!

Waiting For A Miracle..>>Believe51..(Marie G)
Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
caya

Maire - how was the appointment?

Marie,

How did the appointment go at Dana Farber. I am praying for good news for your DH.

Wishing all the best for the both of you,
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote