HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Chemobrain / Chemofog

Post chemo cognitive impairment is pretty real to most of us. As "senior" moments occur in the gen'l population, I often question what my inability to recall names and words and my inappropriate placement of a refrigerator item in the kitchen cabinet is all about. Pregnancybrain is also a thing many can relate to, doing the oddest things, much like an absent-minded professor. So I googled and got this info and wanted to share it with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-chemotherapy_cognitive_impairment"

My oncologist has recently put me on PHYTO FORMULA -- 1 scoop in OJ a day for energy, but I have noted (8 yrs post "chemo", but still on Herceptin, and guess we're in uncharted waters on that) -- my mental acuity has suddenly improved. In groups over dinner, as we all try to remember the name of that movie, who starred in it -- I KEEP COMING UP W/ANSWERS, startling myself. I'm no med professional and am just giving you my experience which I can only attribute to this recently added supplement. It's got soy lechintin powder (which my onc/supplement expert says is the only kind other than natural soy to ingest), spirulina barley grass powder, tomato powder, wheat grass powder + multiple powdered anti-cancer lycopenes nd antioxidants. The OJ is rich in potassium. Phyto Formula boosts the immune system and mental clarity along w/providing energy. Kicked in after a month of giving this to work. My energy level has doubled, even as my hemoglobin is on the way back down. This Thursday I will get Vitamin H and have a CBC and see where my HGB is. 11.9 last week. Can't imagine this would be impacted by this supplement, but I sure feel better, clearer and able to do more in a day.

Sending you all happy, healing energy... Let me know what your experience is re this topic, please. Laughing and wondering... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Patricia

Hi Andi,

I have a terrible time with this. I have a job which has always required me to be quick on my feet, detail oriented, a good debater and a quick sharp brain and tongue. Since returning to work after chemo (now over 1 yr) I feel like I am trying to do the same job but with an impairment (both cognitive and verbal). I find myself avoiding debates or giving in when I would not have otherwise because I know that I cannot articulate or get my agruements across the way I used to. I have not found a way to compensate for this other than to just not get as invested in these normal debates and to not take the lead as much on these opinions. This will most definately limit my career and at this point, I have gotten mentally used to that fact (also fits with the readjustment of my life priorities post cancer), but it adds a level of stress to my job that never used to be there and has taken away a level of enjoyment in what I do.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with any sort of treatment, exercises or supplements that has worked for them. Where did you get the PHYTO FORMULA? Was this something easily purchased at a health food store or online? Can you provide more info (website or something like that) so that I can take a look at it and ask my dr's about it?

Thanks so much!

Hugs,
Patricia

ps.. finally going to an internist on fri for the dizziness. pursuing the non-cancer route first :-)
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
R.B.

The brain is 60% plus fats of which a significant portion should be DHA. (Long chain omega three found in fish oil) See posts on omega three and six on this site - click on search above if you have not found facility)

If there is not enough DHA the brain substitutes with other fats. Other fats are like using leaded petrol for an unleaded car or similar. The brain simply does not work as well.

There are lots of possibilities in terms of treatments blocking the body making long chain fats, fats being dissolved, or treatments taking high levels of DHA in terms of bodies response, all reasons why omega three may be low, as well as intake, blocked fat conversion pathways etc.

I cannot be specific as I have seen no trials as to why or if fat deficiency is possible cause.

For those who can afford it fat profile tests are available through medical advisers.

"Smart Fats" or the later "Brain Building Nutrition" M A Schmidt is a very informative book on the subject which you can find S/H for a few US on the web. Book finders .com is a useful resource.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Marilyn June

My doctor just recommended Provigil "the genius drug" for my chemo brain. I started it today. I will let you know how I react to it.

Marilyn June
Marilyn June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
MCS

Cool

I will post this separately and maybe try to link the article if I can find.

A study done at City of Hope found that chemo brain is for real. Actually there were a couple of medications given in trials that found improvement in memory. It was published in the Los Angeles Times about a week ago

don't despair. I still have words that just escape me, and I don't think it's old timers's stuff either. I could not come up with the word "resort" for the life of me at dinner two days ago. I fell embarrased sometimes.

What I did is, I took an adult education in a foreign language in my city. I had to memorize verbs, phrases. etc. This did two things for me. Once I was entertained and focus off cancer for awhile and it helped with memory loss. By the way this is also recommended for stroke patients. If you cannot go out, look for online courses online from many community colleges- auditing them is free or somewhat free.

Lots of love

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
theresaw

Wink

Mary June please let us know how it works for you, I mentioned it to my doctor and she is going to get back to me..I guess she wants to look up Provigil..hopefully I will start it soon also.
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Joe
Webmaster

Here's a link to the LA Times Article:

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...adlines-health

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Chemo Brain Is Not All In Your Head

For sure, it's real. Talk to a chemo room filled w/mostly bc patients and compare notes. I live w/it. I feel your pain, Patricia. I do find that daily crossword puzzles (I'd do them on the phone w/my dghtr and see who finished first), writing (which I do 5 hrs a day, working on My Book) all challenge my mind. It's a part of us that requires exercise! I watch History Channel, Discovery Channel, PBS and take notes. I read a lot and underline everything I feel important, making notations in the margins. Used to feel it sinful to write in a bk, but it assists me in absorbing material. I don't read fiction. I want to learn, w/ea day. I think all that helps and I've read that computer GAMES can help stimulate the brain cells. Never tried 'em.

All that being said, Patricia, I went to my supllements list and looked up my notations. COMPLETELY GREEN PHYTO FORMULA can be found at www.completelygreen.com. I actually called the # on the bottom of the bottle, while failing to find any matches for "completely...formula" on the web. They recommend $49 something. They sell it for $34.99 -- 180g jar.

I also saw that at the same time (a mnth ago) when I started taking Phyto, I also started taking NADH (Co-Enzyme1 - 5 mg) -- for energy. But in reading the box the 30 tablets come in it states "improves cellular energy and elevates mental clarity. Claims cell regeneration, DNA repair, boosts immune system, a potent antioxidant. My onc/supplem man says to take 2 a day (1/2 hr before a meal) (coming to $36 a mnth). I usually use Vitacost for my supplements and vitamins, but don't recall being able to get it anywhere other than VITA HEALTH APOTHECARY (David) 212) 628 - 1110. They will ship anywhere and do so within days. So I'm thinking -- maybe the combo is doing the trick. If you find NADH -- Enada -- anywhere else (for less than $36 for 2 boxes, or 60 pills) -- please report back!

Have been taking Ginkgo Biloba Extract 60 mg AM/PM for yrs and I think that counters in as well. People have noted that when I come up with a word, a name, whatever, as everyone else is struggling -- WOW! Where'd that come from, SO FAST! I take supplements, pops out of my mouth. They say, I think maybe I should start trying them... AND MY ENERGY LEVEL is amazing. I just seem to keep on going into the night, whereas I dragged myself around most days (when under 12 Hgb, my "normal being 13-15).

Go next wk for Vit H and CBC. Am anxious to see where my 11.9 stands. If I can feel this perky without Aranesp, I can give up that fight.

Am fascinated by the high altitude, mountain concept. I swear just looking at mountains elevates me (no pun intended). The serenity of such sacred beauty penetrates ev cell.

Sending healthy happy vibes your way, all my Soul Sisters... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Mental Alertness

Omega 3 improves brain function, detoxifies, heart healthy, anti-cancer. I take 1000. Check out Omega 3 in SEARCH above, click and type in and hit GO. RB has contributed much on this topic. Many links to expand your view on this. Sending good vibes your way... ANDI

Leslie, Started click your links within your post. Very interesting. Thanks so much for expounding on this important topic!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
Patricia

Hi Andi,

Thanks for the site info. I am going to the doc tomorrow and am going to talk to him about it. I did buy gingko last week after doing a lot of reading on that topic as well. It sounded very promising. Thanks for the advice - I desparately need the energy level that you have! :-)

Maria,
The foreign language class is interesting. I was bilingual (recent acheivement after living in costa rica for the year prior to my dx) prior to my dx and I now have a terrible time with it. It is like I lost years of progress. I told my doctor and he told me that he had a patient who was born in Guatemala and moved to CA over 20 years ago and had established her own very successful company years ago and had perfect english. After chemo she lost all of her English and had to learn it all over again. He said he believed that the chemo clearly affected the language area of the brain - which would explain the verbal 'hiccups' and gaps that we have all described.

Hugs,
Patricia
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
theresaw

Wink ChemoBrain!!!!!!!

My doctor will not let me take the Provigil. I guess I am okay with that. Since then I have been taking Ginkoba and Gensing so far I haven't felt as foggy I get thru the day, but I have now started going to bed alot earlier. Since I start my day at 5:15a.m. now. I pray that soon all of us will no longer have to deal with CHEMOBRAIN, my Onc just doesn't seem to want to think that it is something to be concerned about ( which makes me MAD)but what can you do.
My prayers are going out to all My Survivor Sisters
TheresaW
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote