HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Early Detection of Brain Metastases from Advanced Breast Cancer Through Education and

I know several members had tried to enroll in this study, BUT it is still recruiting.

Regards
Joe

Breast cancer is the most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death in women. Death is sometimes caused by to the spread of breast cancer to other body systems or metastatic breast cancer (MBC). An increasingly frequent cause of death in patients with MBC is brain metastasis, or cancer in the brain. The Early Detection of Brain Metastases From Advanced Breast Cancer Through Education and Screening is being done to look at the potential value of routine brain imaging in the detection of brain metastases in subjects with advanced breast cancer. It is hoped that information will help doctors in the early detection of brain metastases. The study is also being done to increase awareness about brain metastases in breast cancer patients and the potential benefits of early detection and treatment options available.
Participants in the study must have previously been diagnosed with advanced breast cancer. For the study, advanced breast cancer includes HER-2 positive Stage III or Stage IV breast cancer. Stage III breast cancer is breast cancer that has spread to 4 or more lymph nodes in the armpit, or has spread to the chest wall, skin, or to lymph nodes near the breastbone or collarbone. HER-2 stands for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2. HER-2 helps control how cells grow, divide and repair themselves. Each healthy breast cell contains 2 copies of HER-2, which helps normal cells grow. Sometimes a cell may have too many copies of HER-2. Breast cancer that has too much HER-2 is referred to as HER-2 positive. Stage IV breast cancer is breast cancer that has spread outside of the breast to bones, lungs, brain or other distant lymph nodes or organs in the body, also called metastatic breast cancer, or MBC.
If you meet certain requirements, you may be eligible to participate:
A. Subjects must have an initial primary diagnosis of high-risk and/or HER-2 positive breast cancer. For purposes of this screening study, high-risk breast cancer at initial diagnosis is defined as:
» Stage IV disease, or
» HER-2 positive Stage III disease
B. Subjects must be > = 18 years old.
C. Subjects must be within three to twenty-four months of first metastases or Stage IV diagnosis or within 12 to 24 months of initial diagnosis of HER-2 positive Stage III disease.
D. Subjects must sign a written informed consent form approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Enrollment is ongoing. For additional information, contact Sandra Davis, Vice President of Endovascular Services and Research, @ 773/250.0423 or sdavis@cinn.org.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Brenda_D

Too bad I didn't know about this a couple months ago. I am now 26 months out from dx.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Midwest Alice

Thanks Joe, I will call on Monday and get some information. I am very interested in finding out the schedule of scanning, every three months? six months?
I have my first routine Brain MRI scheduled at MD Anderson at the end of April. I had a brain CT at dx that was clean. I don't know how often Dr. C plans on doing the brain MRI or how often my insurance coverage will allow.

I have sent a FYI to another of our Her2 family, JenniferS, this is just what she has been looking for.

Thanks Joe, you really keep us informed.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Brenda_D

Good news! I emailed them and they have expanded the time out to 36 months!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
feonad

Re: Early Detection of Brain Metastases from Advanced Breast Cancer Through Education

you are fabulous for checking that brenda!
feonad is offline   Reply With Quote