HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
GracePang

Unhappy Brain Mets came back -- Help Needed

I saw people posted here saying that the Tykerb/Herceptin combo was approved for Stage IV BC sisters. Can anyone give me the approval link/papers/report so that I can fight/convince my oncologist? I am panick now and any information would help.

I feel so devastated today hearing the news that 3 tumors go bigger after my whole brain radiation in July. After wbr, my onc didn't change my drugs (Taxotere/Herceptin) and I had even a 1-month break from Taxotere due to a illness with a flu. In July, I asked my onc to change drugs to Xeloda/Tykerb/Herceptin after WBR, but he refused saying that Taxotere kept my other parts of body (lungs/livers) stable and he would not change until it stopped working. At end of November, my lungs mets slightly progressed; he then agreed to change me to Xeloda in combination with Herceptin (I started 2nd round or Xeloda today -- two weeks off, one week on). Now, just got the news today that the brain mets are back. While my rad onc said he could treated them with Gamma knife (don't know when), I am thinking to add Tykerb to the Xeloda/Herceptin combo. I phoned my onc today and he said (throgh a nurse) that he would not change or add anything now until he see me next time (Jan. 3) and he refuses to add Tykerb. If I insist, he would drop Herceptin and do the Xeloda/Tykerb combo. I don't want to give up Herceptin, and read so many positive stories on this board about Tykerb/Herceptin combo. However, he said he doesn't have data to support this T/H combo, even for Stage IV. Please help me fight with my onc for this combo. Any information/advice are appreciated.

Love,
Grace
GracePang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
StephN

Re: Brain Mets came back -- Help Needed

Hello Grace -
Very sorry to hear that the WBR did not finish off those brain mets. A number of the ladies here have had to treat small numbers of brain mets with some sort of radio-surgery, and Gamma Knife should put them away for you.

It looks like your onc is one who goes by the book. The FDA has approved Tykerb with Xeloda, however, a study was reported last year at San Antonio on Tykerb and Herceptin in combination. The results showed they do work well together.

You will have to ask him what he has against using Tykerb. That should be a pointed question.

Any place you can get a second opinion if he stays stubborn about treatment changes? Sounds like you need a more creative thinker on your case.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
schoolteacher

Grace,

My doctor told me the same thing. I am no longer on Herceptin. I receive Tykerb on the study I am participating in. I really want the Herceptin and Tykerb together. I completely understand what you are saying.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
GracePang

Thank you, StephN and Amelia, for your responses. Heard back from my pharmasist. She told me that there is now new information in our hospital that Tykerb/Herceptin could be an option, but only if cancer progressed after using Tykerb alone. If I did progress on Tykerb+Xeloda, she would apply hard for me to get the Herceptin added. All your responses already make me feel much better. Still my onc won't see me before Jan. 3rd; or before my rad onc treats me with Gama Knife. uhh...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Maybe it's time to change your onc Grace for one with a more forward thinking and open mind if thats possible. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, my friend had brain mets before this combo was approved and had temodar with herceptin which gave good results for a while.

I hope your onc can come up with something for you, or a second opinion can be had and just wanted to send good wishes as you face this.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
BonnieR

I , too, was going to suggest a second opinion. And to say I feel badly that you seem to have an adversarial relationship with your onc. You have enought to deal with without his attitude.

Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Becky

Maybe its time for a second and third opinion.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
GracePang

Thank you all for your responses. My onc is actually one of the best here in our local hospitals. He is already my 2nd one (the previous one was worse) and I try to work out with him. Maybe I am too anxious. Everything here now has to wait for Jan. 3rd; I guess I am unlucky to find the progression at this time.

Wish you all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! Will have you updated later.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Joan M

Grace,

I had my brain met treated with targeted radiation and that was two years ago. So far, I'm doing good. And I don't blame you for being anxious. I've been there, and every time I'm ready for the next brain MRI, which is every three months, I get even more anxious.

Let us know what happens, and try to enjoy the holidays. Although I realize that it's hard.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Mary L

Red face Re: Brain Mets came back -- Help Needed

I just realized that quite a few of us have onc visits and tests coming up in Jan. It is so nervewracking time. Best Wishes to all us. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
MaryAn

It is frustertating to have a doc that will pointedly just deny a treatment that you feel is better for you. While you say that this is your second doctor, I would not let that stop me if I felt my needs were not being met. Doctors are not Gods and I refuse to treat them as such. I hope you get the help you feel you deserve. I wish you had better news, I guess we all worry about turing for the worst and just hearing we will wait til it stops working seems like we will plug up the dam when it breaks as opposed to making a better dam.

I will pray for you sister. We all need good doctors who include us in the treatment decisions or at least let us know their rationale for their treatment choices.
tumor HER2 ++ Nottingham Grade 2 margins not clean
5/10 3 problem teeth removed
6/10 radical mastectomy
6/23/10 start on TCH 3 rounds with Herceptin chaser,
9/10 stopped TCH because of allergic reaction to TCH
10/10 UTI
10/10 allergic reaction to antibiotics
10/10 becan FEC (4x) stopped Herceptin for during this regimen
12/10/10 last round of FEC
so far...
waiting to see if I need radiation and will begin Tamoxiphen and Herceptin
MaryAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
GracePang

Thank you, sisters, for your encouragements. Mary, I think you are right and I will push hard for what I want on Jan. 3rd and have it updated here.

My onc's philosophy is to use drugs unless it is necessary. His logic is that I may run out of options fast if I use them up front. For example, what if Xeloda/Tykerb/Herceptin combo doesn't work? I then have no other choses. If Xeloda/Tykerb combo works, then we don't need Herceptin; if doesn't, we can add Herceptin as another option. I don't know how to interprete this opinion. He said he would use one drug until it stops working, like what he did with Taxotere. When my brain mets were found in July, I asked him to switch to X/T, but he said WBR would deal with brain mets, he would not give up Taxotere, since it was working for my lungs and liver. Until it stoped working for lungs in November, he switched me to Xeloda. Now, brain mets progressed, he may add Tykerb.

Do you see his philosophy? Do anybody else's doctors use this philosophy?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
Jackie07

Grace,

The statement "First, do no harm" came to mind regarding your question. Since most chemo treatment carries risks and side effects, most oncologist would not use 'excessive' force unless it's absolutely necessary.

But the new study has shown that Herceptin + Tykerb combo does wonders. You might want to show him the report from San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium to change his mind.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
GracePang

Jackie,
Thank you so much for the information. Found the article in Day 4 and will bring it to my onc to see what happens. Happy Holidays!

Grace
Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
yankeebikachic

I think you should get a second opinion. I know it's hard to change and one more thing to have to do but obviously you are having some differences there and it is very important to have faith in your onc. I think you may have lost some? ?
11/06 bilateral mastectomy
12/06 begin Rads
1/07 Finished Rad-started H, weekly for one year.
1/08. Finished H, scan showed activity in nodes, Doc says 'not to worry about it' and sends me on my way.
7/08 Scan shows numerous involvement in armpit, also large active nodes in supr. clav.
Doctor refused to give me HER2 meds.
8/08 fired doctor, found another. Started Tykerb/Xeloda. After one round, nodes are shrunk and normal sized!
12/08 NED continue Ty/X
3/09, 6/09, 9/09, 11/09, all scans show NED
Dropping X, continue Tykerb
As of 6/10, 3/11 still negative, continuing Tykerb...
yankeebikachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
GracePang

YanKee,
good question. I don't know anymore what to expect from onc. When I was first diagnosed as Stage IIIb in 2004, my onc then was soooo lovely and he took care of everything without me asking. He left for another city 4 years ago though and I really miss him.
Ever since my recurrence in sept. 2009, I found I have not been treated the same. The first onc doesn't give me hope and ordered a surgery to remove my port after one week of installaton, even though the port worked well. The reason was the surgery was rough and they found a small clot close to the port (I had no symptom whatsoever). I fought with him to save my port and left him. The second one (the current one) helped me saved my port, but I have to push him for things; sometime, even for an appointment. I am confused sometimes, if I asked too much, since I sometimes feel that I am a trouble maker. I really don't know how other patients take everything without questioning. I think I will eventually change my onc, but I need to ask around and find a good one who would be willing to take me. They have a small circle. I tried to ask for 2nd opinion in Aug after my WBR. The doctor wrote a letter stating she would agree with my onc's plan, without seeing me. I asked for an appointment with her, have not got one by now. See ....

Grace
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
GracePang

Update on Me:
I just had Gamma Knife done last Thursday. Everything went smoothly and the doctors zapped 3 tumors, the biggest is around 1cm. They told me that the MRI showed that these 3 tumors did not grow since December 15th and even got slightly smaller and no new tumors showed up. I am happy with this and I guess it might be due to the Xeloda I have been taking since end of November.

I saw my onc on Jan. 3rd and he would not add Tykerb for now. He would wait until I finish Gamma knife or until I show progression again in the brain or else where. He keeps saying that he doesn't want me to run out of options by changing drugs too often.

This is where I am and I also feel good in terms of breathing after I started Xeloda (I also have lung and liver mets). My next scan will be sometime in February and I hope to have good results from Xeloda.

Grace
Old 01-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Jackie07

What wonderful news! We are so happy for you. Thanks for the update.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
Joan M

Grace,

Good news about getting the three tumors zapped.

As to adding Tykerb, I'd push for it even though you had Gamma Knife.

Although I understand the idea of not using up drugs unless you need them, there's also something to be said in adding drugs to push harder against the remaining cancer cells in your system.

In my own case, since I became metastatic in January 2007 I've had only local procedures (surgery, radiation and interventional radiology), but never chemo, only Herceptin. And while I'm happy with that decision, I'm now concerned that I didn't add a course of Xeloda and Tykerb at my local onc's suggestion at the time I had those procedures. The last procedure was for my brain in October 2008. After the procedures, she offered to give me chemo as a follow-up, but I declined in order to get back to work. I'm now nervous about that decision, and both she and another onc (who I now see) disagree with adding anything currently unless I show progression.

You could get another opinion for additional feedback.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
flynny

That's fantastic news! I am so happy for you.

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote