HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
lizm100

Continued hip pain and MRI results.

Hi-

I've been meaning to post but my saga of hip & joint pain continues and I just don't know know how to proceed. Need some advice & input please.

Diagnosis background:
When I was initially diagnosed with stage T1MIC (DCIS with less than 1mm of a microinvation) bc in Febuary 08', my oncologist ordered a baseline CT scan of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis and all was normal. I also had a baseline bone scan which was normal. I have had repeat CT scans a year ago and had my last bone scan in March of 09' for other aches and pains, they were all normal.

This is my worst and latest saga:
For at least 3 months I have had pain in the whole left side of my pelvic area which includes the front hip, back hip, joint & socket, rear end area, upper leg pain the radiates with sensations of pulling, burning, shooting, tingeling, throbbing, to just plain pain. The intensity of the pain varies. At times it feels muscular & at times it feels like the bone, it's so difficult to tell. Motion/activity such as walking & standing relieve the pain, not make it worse. Inactivity such as sitting & especially laying down intensify the pain. I tried physical therapy but the stretches made it worse. I'm taking Zyflamed which is a herbal anti-inflamatory(suggested by my naturalpath) and at times Motrin which only help moderately. The pain started shortly after I started doing yoga (I did hip stretches to open the hips) simutanously I also started working out on a weight machine that require pulling and pushing of weight that work out your back end and hips etc.

I don't believe the pain has gotten worse & may have improved slightly (I think?). I feel like I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm starting to obsess over this now.

A few weeks ago I went to see an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hips. The doctor has ordered x-rays and had an MRI of the pelvis. The X-rays showed a little wear and tear.

The MRI reported stated that "there are small subchondral degerative cysts & bone marrow edema in the superior acetabular rim. Heterongeneous red marrow throughout the pelvis, sacrum & proximal femurs. My doctor told me the type of pain I'm experiencing is not consistent with the findings but wanted to start off with a steroid injection which I had on Dec. 24th & it didn't help the pain.

In addition, having a clean bone scan 6 months b/4 the onset of this pelvic pain; my oncologist feels confident that it's not cancer related but injury related. I am very nervous and the fear of mets is starting to consume me. How good are MRI's at diagnosing mets?

Thank you for reading my post and any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Margerie

Re: Continued hip pain and MRI results.

Liz,

could it be sciatica??? http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1448.html

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
tricia keegan

Liz,

A recent bone scan I had showed a small spot of concern, this was followed by an mri which showed the same as the bone scan but was inconclusive. I then had a pet/ct which was negative, the area is too small to biopsy so another mri is planned for the end of this month to note any changes.
I'm not sure if anything cancer related has to be of a certain size before being seen on the mri but agree your pain could well be sciatica.
I've also had ongoing joint pain in the past from arimidex so this too may be a factor?
Sorry I can't help more, but it appears many of us have varying degree's of bone/muscle pain since diagnosis and always think it's cancer!
I really hope your Dr's can give you some answers soon
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Laurel

Liz,

I had pain very similar to what you are describing a few months ago. It had been developing over a period of perhaps 6 months or more. After a bone scan which was negative, I found it was related to how I was sitting. I cannot remain in certain positions for any length of time or they cause me great discomfort and stiffness that can last for many days. I must not prop my feet up on the coffee table when sitting at the sofa. Why that irritates my left hip I do not know. I know that whenever I fall back into that old manner of posture I pay for it dearly! Certain positions at my office desk kill my lower back! I can hardly straighten up! Ridiculous this damn disease! In my case I blame it on the A.I.'s, my catch-all culprit for everything achy!

I have included glucosamine/condroitin/msn into my regimen, garlic, and EPA all of which reduce inflammation. I think it helps, but who knows? At any rate, I wish you health and freedom from worry. Why not ask for a bone scan if you continue to be concerned?

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Becky

Hi Liz

Your MRI clearly shows that you have degenerative disease (cysts etc). I would go to an orthopedic guy and see what they recommend for recovery/physical therapy. You sound just like my mom (also a bc survivor) who had every test in the world (including a PET/CT) and it was bursitis and arthiritis in the hip. She is almost 80 (and very overweight) but slow walking helps her and some physical therapy. They threw the "testing book" at her when her symptoms began (about 6 months after Arimidex started) since she was less than 2 yrs out at that time and everyone (including me) thought it might be a recurrence to the bone - but it wasn't. You do need to get to the bottom of it though so you can get into a phys therapy program that will work for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Jackie07

Liz,

Sounded like you overstretched yourself. I got 'Diastasis recti' - pulled my belly muscle while doing yoga last January. At the time I was very panicking about it and thought it was mets. But my oncologist asked me to move in certain way and confirmed it was just a muscle pull.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Ruth

Liz ~
This describes to a tee my problems with sciatica. I have been through some great physical therapy and without it I wouldn't have learned correct ways of sitting; driving; and using the computer. Physical therapy helped immensly and it taught me to notice when it flares up to help myself. The "burning" really describes it!
Please try physical therapy again...it hurt me worse at the beginning before it improved. Strenghtening your abs makes a huge difference too. So sorry for you!
Hugs ~ Ruth

"upper leg pain the radiates with sensations of pulling, burning, shooting, tingeling, throbbing, to just plain pain."

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
lizm100

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my post. All of you are so knowledgeable and are always willing to offer very helpful advice and insight.

Margerie, thank you for the link it is very informative and detailed.

Tricia, you always have a story to share that makes one feel better. Thank you for sharing your story and I truly hope your MRI will come back with no worrisome changes. Imaging and scans are a great tool but they can also cause one to worry unnecessarily if something new and unexplained shows up.

Laurel, its coincidental that you mentioned glucosamine/condroitin/msn since I just added that to my arsenol of supplements along with fish oil since it's supposed to help with the joints. You had commented on a bone scan, I am one of those that worries about too much radiation exposure and if the risks outweigh the benefits in my situation since I had the MRI of the area of concern.

Becky, may be a different Physical Therapy program may help. Glad to hear your mom did not have a recurrence. That is great news!

Jackie, you & me are probably the only few that yoga did more harm then good. I think that I will stay away from it and stick to my walking, running & free weights.

Ruth, as you and Becky said, may be I need to get into a different Physical Therapy program that is specifically for sciatica and be treated by a Physical Therapist who has treated many sciatica patients. There are many programs out there, I just need to weed them out. I agree strengthening the ab muscles makes a huge difference with many aches and pains.

I hate this damn disease!!! Thank you again for your time and responses.

Sending (((hugs))) to all of you.

Liz
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
fauxgypsy

I am taking Arimidex and I have hip pain similar to what you described. I didn't take it for a couple of weeks (I forgot to take it on a trip) and my hip improved. I am back to taking it and my hips are bothering me again. I can't sleep on my right side because of the mastectomy and sometimes my left hip feels like it on fire. After my commute my hips are very stiff. It takes a little while before I can walk comfortably. My hope is that this is not going to cause damage that will continue after I finish the Arimidex, I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is where this hip pain is coming from.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
lizm100

Fauxgypsy - as I had heard from a BC survivor..."cancer, the gift that keeps on giving".. I hate the fact many medications seem to help in one area(preventing recurrence) while "hurting" another and that's a fact with many medications. Since I am pre-menopausal(hormone neg too!) and taking only supplements, it wouldn't be the cause of my pain.
Thank you for sharing and I hope you find some relief too.

Sending (((hugs))) your way. Liz
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Westcoastgirl

I too have had hip pain along with other joint pains. I find deep tissue massage for trigger points is what works best for me. I also try to be very aware of my posture. Habitual bad habits are often the case of many problems, along with inactivity. It is hard to go through treatment and continue to be active but take heart and keep plodding. As Winston Churchill said, "If you are going through hell, keep going." I have found there are good times and bad times for my pain and hold to the belief that things can only get better when they are bad.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
lizm100

Westcoastgirl - you just put a smile on my face & made me crack up......especially about Churchill's comment )) I've gotten back to working out; yoga excluded ofcourse and am definitely hurting especially from all the post stretches. I've got figure out what helps (P.T. or may be a new dr's opinion?) but for the time being...working out (brisk walking/running & free weights) helps to keep me mentally focused.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
v-ness

liz - you can add me to the list of those hurt instead of helped by yoga. i too badly injured my hip doing exactly what you were doing, hip stretches! it took a while to go away and i was spooked off any yoga aimed at the hips. if they're tight, let em be tight, i now say. my husband used to call me China Bull (as in bull in a china shop) because i do nothing gracefully or lightly. so naturally i'd hurt myself doing something like yoga. i hope your hip improves soon. i just managed to hurt my back sweeping and mopping. if only i could use that as an excuse never to do housework again. valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Midwest Alice

I can join in on the hip pain. I had my shot in the right hip joint yesterday. The one on the left hip joint in December it helped. My movement is still limited. My PT gave me exercises which I have not been doing over December. So I will start up again.

The like you Churchill comment. .. just keep going.

My arthritis started progressing quickly last spring.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Leslie304

I everyone! I just can't believe all I'm reading. I've been having hip/joint pain too and was wondering if it was a side effect of any particular drug. I've just finsished radiation and am currently on Tykerb/Xeloda. I had the whole regimin of chemo drugs. I'm very stiff, my joints ache, my finger joints are swollen and I cannot sit on the floor cross legged at all!! It's very painful. Prior to radiation I was doing yoga and my hips were fine. Could it be that radiation accelerates arthritis systemically? My oncologist does not approve of many supps, definitely no antioxidants. Currently I'm only on calcium, vit D, and b-complex. I'm leaning toward doing some anyway. I even consulted with an integrative doc at the hospital and she also said no antioxidants, even when treatments are done. She stated that antioxidants can proliferate cancer cells!!! What?!
Any feedback would welcomed.
Leslie
5/1/09: Adria/Cytoxan for x 3-no response
6/12/09: Taxol/Herceptin for 1 tx -no response
6/24/09: added Carboplatin to T/H x 3 - no response
7/09 -added F5U -no response
7/29/09: Herceptin/Xeloda/Tykerb no response
8-18-09: 2nd opinion at MDA - IDC not IBC! First Onc disagrees,
BRCA 1/2 Neg
8-19-09: continue on Herceptin/Xeloda/Tykerb-slight response
9-24-09 MRM right breast 10x10 cm tumor! (Huge!) no necrosis - Got clear margins! A miracle!
13 of 18 nodes positive
11-2-09 -12/10 started radiation
12-10-2009 - Finished with radiation!!
1/13/2010-Back on Xeloda x six cycles (have been on Tykerb/Herceptin all along)
4/4/14 - stopped Xeloda/Tykerb one cycle early. Liver enzymes high!
4/20/2010 Clear PET Scan!! NED
6/10/2010 - Finished Herceptin11/8 - Brain METS! CRAP! WBRT only option given. Four mets, separate locations in brain, no SRS
12/10 - Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda
Leslie304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
lizm100

Hi-

Ok, I just spoke to my orthopedic doctor who is a hip specialist and now he wants me to see a sports medicine doctor since he said my symptoms are consistent with Piriformis syndrome which I believe is like sciatica as some of you already stated.

Valerie, I guess you too can join Jackie and me as far as skipping yoga since it did harm rather than good for us. I'm sorry that you hurt your back by cleaning, I can relate. Actually you have a valid excuse for not being able to clean, at least temporarlly. I wish that I could get away with no housework but I know that will never happen (with 3 young kids and 2 dogs) in reality. My friends & I always joke around that we need cleaning elves and a laundry fairy...LOL! Do you remember how long it took your hip to get better?

Alice, glad to hear that the injections are helping. Yes, life does not stop when we're in pain...all we can do is keep going and life goes on.....

Leslie, I love your BIG black dog. I have a black labradoodle that has a wavy coat and actually resembles a New Foundland instead of a doodle. I can't answer the chemo question but I'm sure there are many wonderful members on this forum that probably can. As far as radiation.... I have read & from my own personal experience I have experienced more aches and pains, especially in my radiated areas that I have never experience b/4. I know radiation is supposed to be local treatment but personally I believe that it adversally effects other parts of the body. For example I had chronic diarrhea while getting radiation which is supposed to be local treatment. After radiation, I developed chronic costochondritis along with many other aches and pains that I never ever had b/4 in my life. I see a naturalpath who specializes in women's health(my breast surgeon referred me to her) and treats many breast cancer patients; she too says NO antioxidents while in treatment and I waited about 8-10 weeks to start the antioxidents after treatment. You may want to find a good naturalpathic physician to assist you in your decision making. My naturalpath suggested I take glucosamine/condroitin/msn and fish oil since they are great for the joints. May be you can check with your doctor if that's something you can do but it takes 4-8 weeks to feel improvement if it will work. Also, epsom salt baths are supposed to help with joint and muscle pain. Best of luck to you.

Thank you all for caring to respond. I don't know what I would do without this forum. Sending (((hugs))) to all of you and please keep the advice coming.

Liz
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
SoCalGal

My knee is killing me as I read this. My hips have been bothering me on and off for years, but doing pilates on the reformer helped my pain quite a bit. Hahaha, yesterday I went to a private "Yoga Therapy" session. It was a super gentle set of stretches, not more than 15 minutes, all on the mat laying down. In other words, perfectly appropriate, no impact, lots of breathing which is good for all of us. Meanwhile, I was in such agony last night it was ridiculous. Today is better. I find that Wobenzyme N is very good for inflamation. I've been off it for a few weeks, and maybe that's why my knee is hurting. Of course, my mind goes to the worse case scenario. Who has knee-cap mets? It doesn't even sound sensible. BUT if this pain continues I'll have to mention it to someone doctorish. It hurts to bend my knee, which interferes with...everything. Feels like I slammed my knee into a pointy table but I didn't. Maybe it's the zometa, it can create a bunch of aches post treatment...
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
v-ness

hi liz - i remember the pain taking several weeks to subside and i know i went to the doctor about it, it bothered me so much. this was a number of years ago so i am foggy on anything else, like what i might have taken for pain. perhaps 600 mg Motrin - that usually helps me (although it hasn't helped this back thing). the funny thing is, when my back improved a bit this week, the first thing i did was go to the gym and walk and do some yoga - but just cat & cow pose and child's pose. gentle for the back. i learned my lesson!

when i got gingerly out of my chemo chair on thursday the nurse asked me what was the matter and i just brushed it off. she said if it lasts 2 wks to mention it to the onco. i guess that might be a standard thing? i don't know. i am new to all this even at 5 months.

i hope your hip problems are relenting!

p.s. flori - i once had that sort of pain in the knee you are describing, like you'd slammed it into a pointy table. it turned out i had patellar chondromalacia and a loose bone chip in there under the knee cap which can cause some amazingly sharp pain. it was from running, which i can no longer do.

valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Laurel

Boy, we sure are a rickety bunch, aren't we?

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
lizm100

Hi-

I can finally say that my hip pain has improved just over the past week, I think the walking, epsom soaks, an husband's messages to the area really helped to loosen the muscles in the area. But now my costochrontis is back again. I never in my life got costochondritis until I finished radiation. Now I have been getting a flare up every couple of months that take months to go away. I'm only 40, too young for these aches and pains according to my doctors but then again too young to have had bread cancer too...... OK, I'll stop venting..

Flori- I have heard from so many that taking glucosamine/condroitin/msn has improved their knee pain, (including my physical therapist...lol) May be that's an option for you? My mom swears by it too! As far as the yoga, I think I'm done with it.

Valerie - you're brave ; I too enjoyed yoga but the pain for me is just too much I hope your back gets better soon.

laurel- I think you are right :0)