HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Lani

Chime in please! Has herceptin (or tykerb)affected your eyebrows/lashes,fingers/toes/

heels?

heard two fascinating lectures today--one by the man who discovered breast cancer stem cells, Dr. Michael Clarke, the other by a researcher, Howard Chang. who is discovering how the cells in the body know where they are and what they should turn into.

There were disturbing slides of chick embryos whose" skin" from the lower limb buds during development was exchanged with that from the upper limbs and vice versa--with the chicks that developed having scales on their wings and feathers on their legs.

Dr. Chang has found groups of genes which seem to do this and epigenetic ways(by altering the way the chromatin--interweaving of chromosomes--is "read" by blocking the ability of the "reader" to get to the gene by having something sit on it and block it (think of an old casette tape with honey dripped on it intermittently) in which the cells which end up on the back vs front, close to the trunk vs fingertips and toes, etc seem to know what to become.

I remembered in my thread regarding side effects of Herceptin several mentioned that they lost the "outside" arc of their eyebrows and had much thinner, shorter eyelashes as well as cracking of the fingertips, heels and toe problems. I also remember that even those on Tykerb alone (xeloda tends to cause hand-foot syndrome it seems) have developed problems with the tips of their toes and toenails.

The genes he has identified don't seem to control things on the head and/or few people are willing to have a biopsy done voluntarily on their fact, so he remains perplexed about how facial features and hair niceties develop and are maintained.

I would appreciate if all would chime in regarding:

1)were you ever on herceptin alone

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo

4)were you also on antihormonals

5) a)did you notice any problems with you eyebrows ?b) eyelashes?c) did they preceed herceptin, d)did they get better/worse on herceptin.e) did they get better after herceptin stopped?

6)a)did you have cracking of your finger tips, heels, toes, ingrown toenails-- b)similarly did they preceed herceptin, c)did they get better/worse on herceptin, d)did they get better after herceptin stopped?

7)Similarly for those on tykerb alone (or on teach and pretty sure they are not getting the placebo because of rash, etc)--are you having eyebrow, eyelash, toe, finger, heel issues and how long has it been since you had chemo (and whether you are on antihormonals as well)

There have been many popular threads here on hair and nail issues and perhaps we could help provide this researcher some direction regarding where to look in his research without his having to put scales on more chicks' wings or feathers or more chicks' legs!

Anybody?
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

During all of the chemo I took I had no heel problems. Since being just on herceptin my heels peel off in chunks. My lashes are much shorter and thinner as are my eyebrows. My fingers aren't very peely (is that a word?), but my nails bend. I always had super healthy nails, so this is really different. The nail thing began while on chemo and herceptin. The heel thing must just be a herceptin thing for me.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Well, I was on herceptin with taxol and also on herceptin alone. I started herceptin with taxol. When my 4 dose dense taxol treatments ended on Nov. 30, 2005 I continued with the herceptin, alone, every 3 weeks, until Oct.11, 2006. I was not on any antihormonals as I am hormone receptor negative.

I did not notice any eyebrow, eyelash, hair, cracking skin issues on herceptin. Only some weight gain which dropped off nicely when herceptin was finished. My eyelashes and eyebrows are much thinner since the chemo AND herceptin. But, that started with the chemo so can't really blame on herceptin. I wouldn't say they got worse when on herceptin alone.

So, there are my answers. Next.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Julie2

Lani,

I don't have any of the symptoms you described while on Herceptin except the runny nose.

Julie
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Margerie

Lani-

I was on herceptin alone for 21 months. During that time I experienced thinner eyebrows, eyelashes normal, brittle finger and toenails, cracking fingertips. I have also been on Arimidex for the same time period. I just finished herceptin 4 weeks ago, so hoping things return more to normal. (I must say my chief complaint is insomnia- not sure if Herceptin/Arimidex or both.)

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Becky

I started Herceptin 4 months after my last Taxol (4 DD AC then 4 DD Taxol). Started Arimidex 3 months after Herceptin. I did not notice much except a runny nose until after Arimidex was started. Then my finger and toe nails began to thin and split. My toes did not recover as nicely but I began running again and have "runner's toes" BUT I did not get the cracked toenails (where you lose half the nail) and black toenails prior to cancer. However, I still have a bit of neuropathy left in my toes from Taxol and I think I don't feel as much as I should (and have since purchased new running shoes with a wider toe bed). I attributed the thin nails to Arimidex (or perhaps the combo) as my fingernails are still thinner than before cancer but not as thin as on the combo (but I am also almost 4 yrs older now and had ooph to be fully thrown into menopause).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Karen W

Hi lani,

I started Herceptin two weeks after I completed DD AC & T... three months after the completion of my DD chemo I started Aromasin.

During chemo, I am not too sure what I suffered from because everything seemed wrong. But I can tell you that during Herceptin, I had all kinds of sinus, ear and balance problems. I also suffered from ocular migraines which caused pain and blurred vision. I completed Herceptin in August of '06 and will continue on Aromasin for 3 more years.

The residual problems I am experiencing now (from who knows what) are thin cracked nails, toe nail problems, cracked skin by my fingers, thin eyebrows and short thin eyelashes. Also, my hair (bangs) did not grow in very well. My hair is extremely thin in the front.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
tousled1

I had neoadjunct chemo and after my surgery started Herceptin. It was approximately 2 months after chemo that I started Herceptin. I was on Herceptin only for the year and noticed that my fingernails would crack and peel, I lost a toenail, my finger tips were always cracked no matter how much lotion I used and I was never on hormonals.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
hutchibk

I was on Herceptin alone for 14 months post chemo, and I did not have the side effects you are talking about, that I know of. My eyebrows have always been naturally light and almost non-existent, so I wouldn't really know if I lost them ends of them.

I have not been on Tykerb alone, but I have been on Tykerb/Xeloda for the last 8 months. I do have really bad fingernail and toenail issues. My nails are shot, shredded, thin eggshells, on both my fingers and toes. Toenails break easily and are like broken bottles unless I clip or file them every other day or so. My fingernails barely grow at all and break instantly if they get any length on them. It seems that I don't have any classic hand/foot syndrome from the Xeloda. I do have an occasional open crack on my left heel if I don't keep my feet well moisturized.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 01-11-2008 at 05:00 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
Jean

After I completed chemo (TC) I experienced neuropathy in toes.
It has improved, but I still some neuropathy.
Did have cracked finger tips and thin nails while on herceptin and Femara for the remaining year. After I completed Herceptin the skin on the heels
of my feet would peel in thick layers. This lasted for a few weeks.
Eyebrows have not fully grown back in the arch area and eyelashes
are thin and short. The hair on my head is much finer.

I remain on Femara.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
R.B.

Omega 3s.

One of my repeated questions is what impact does Herceptin have on the fat pathways?

A trial suggested one of its legs does work through the fats pathways but more than that I do not know. Does Herceptin block or intervene in the body's ability to make DHA from the mother fat?

If it does then the mother omega three would not get converted and DHA and EPA would only be available from food sources, primarily oily fish and fish oil.

Cracked skin is on heel or finder tips, soft nails are signs of fatty acid imbalance according to a book called Smart Fats.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
dhealey

I took taxol with half dose of herceptin for 2 months then herceptin alone, was on arimidex, then aromasin, (stopped these due to bad side effects) now just starting tamoxifen, just ended herceptin this week. During this time my eyelashes have fallen out 4 times ( grow back and then fall out again) My eyebrows are now very thin and the skin around my fingers are cracked and peeling, but I am a nurse and wash my hands alot. Nails are not soft but have horizontal ridges on them. Hoping all this subsides soon as I am only on tamoxifen now.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
mts

I started Herceptin after being off of Taxol 3 months. Stayed on the Herceptin 1 yr.
Because I was in "chemopause" I figured that the crackling heels was due to lack of estrogen.... but when that got better when my period returned 2 yrs later.
I also figured the lost little bit of arch in my brows was from the chemo and my new short length of lashes too. I had very thick lashes and brows before chemo and well, now they are skimpy... My nails did crack/split at the tips but that too has gotten better (although not as healthy looking as before cnacer).
I did not take anti-hormonals.

maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
DonnaD

I started Herceptin with Taxol in Jan. of 07. All hair was gone on my body, I think from Taxol and Nuelasta. I finished Taxol in March and my hair started growing slowly. I am not on hormones.

I finished Herceptin in Dec, a one year treatment. My eyelashes are very slow to grow and are very thin. My eyebrows are also the same except as you mentioned from the highest part of the arch back they are not there. Nails are paper thin. I did loose one toenail in Jan of 07 but that happened when on A/C.

Let us know what you find out.
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Gerri

I started weekly Herceptin with my second dose of Taxol. After Taxol was done I continuted on Herceptin every three weeks until March 07. I am currently taking Tamoxifen.

I lost my eyelashes twice while on Herceptin alone. They are now all back and reasonably thick. My eyebrows are thinner than before with my right one missing the outside arc. My fingers and heels continue to split at times. I have had to have both big toenails surgically removed on the sides because the nail bed was growing into my flesh (ouch!). My other toenails have split, fallen off and are thick and discolored. My Podiatrist just filed them all down and they are doing/looking much better.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Kim in CA

I was on Taxotere and Herceptin for about 8 months, and that's when my fingernail, eyelash, and brow problems began. I have been on Herceptin and Femara alone for almost 6 years, and those problems have not gotten any better. I actually think they are getting worse.

My eyebrows and lashes are very sparse and also very unruly! The hairs in my lashes and brows stick out in every different direction. This makes it very difficult to apply mascara, which is a must as I have no features without it ( I'm a redhead, think Sissy Spacek in Carrie!). Also my nails are paper thin with big ridges on both thumbs and and long lines, that look like they want to split open, on three of the fingers on my left hand.

I was contemplating stopping the Herceptin for awhile to see if it improved things, but have since chickened out after reading a post here, by Becky I think, that one shouldn't stop taking H after having had brain mets.

Luckily my toenails aren't too bad. They are thinner, but because they don't do dishes (thank goodness), or any other chores it's not an issue.

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Mgarr

I was the opposite during Herceptin - My always dry skin was much better my heels were softer & no problems with fingernails. The only thing I can say is my eyelashes are much thinner than they were prior to treatment. I believe the other answers to your questions are in my profile.

Mar

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Becca

While on herceptin, plus other chemos, my nails were always shredding off at the ends--had to keep them trimmed low. Now I am on tykerb with xeloda--still lots of nail problems, like cracking down the nail. Recently discomfort with both heels even though I keep them well lubricated. They feel dry with a pressure or throbbing feeling. It helps me at night to place a small pillow under my ankles to keep my heels off the mattress.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Hope This Is Helpful, Lani...

'95-'96 Chemo. Bald. No eyebrows or lashes. All grew back.

Sept '98 - May '99 Taxotere, Bald. No eyebrows or lashes. Nails turned black and lifted off nailbeds w/oozy stuff presenting. EVERYTHING DRY. Eyes, nose -- yet severe and constant tearing and runny nose. Fingertips, heels severely dry and burning. Neuropathy.

Overlap w/Herceptin Nov '98 -- to present. Hair did not grow back as after 1st chemo. Very thin, frail, dry, like fried hair. Receding hairline as in male pattern baldness camouflaged w/ right *do*. Eyebrows did not return. Eyelashes did not return as before -- some came back but most did not, now very sparse, shorter and not equal (meaning right and left upper and lower are not evenly distributed). Still dry eye but not as bad at all. No tearing. Still slightly runny nose. Very slight, especially when eating??!! Nails remain thin and splitting, frail. Cuticles very dry. Heels dry but not burning. One toe nail has a vertical split that grows out and returns. Toenails better than fingernails in genl.
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
Diane H

I started a year of herceptin with two months of taxotere, my eyelashes and eyebrows (which used to be exceptionally bushy) are very, very sparse. Am now on Femara, do not know if that contributes to it.
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote