HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
Becky

I would send mine out too. Since I am ER+ but PR-, it would be a different kind of Her2+ tumor that is not as common. I'm in and in to help if need be.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #22
Lolly

I would be willing to donate samples of my original tumor, ER/PR-, HER2+++. I haven't yet requested them from the facility storing them, but as soon as the holidays are over will start that process.
As far as actual leg work, I'm not physically able to offer any at this time, but if my new regimen is effective that may change.
Anyway, count me in for the tumor registry. I know UW/Seattle took many blood samples in the course of my participation in the vaccine trial, but I believe they can't share those.
But, as someone else pointed out, one of the samples they needed was drawn at my onc's office during the course of a regular blood draw, after UW had sent the "kit" to ship it back.

Count me in.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #23
DEBBIE S

Lani and others ....

I do not post a lot on the site .. but I try to read as often as I can since
I do this all from my employer's PC .... I would be willing to particpate in the study and send samples ... I have kept as many copies of reports that I can.. I am so thankful for Lani and the others who keep us so informed and truly dedicate much, much, time and energy to the site..
I will keep checking for updated info regarding this ... and again a big
thank you to all of you who invest so much time on this site...

God Bless,

Debbie
11/04 treated with hercp, taxol & carboplatin - every 3 wks
3/05 ned - stopped chemo; hercp only
5/05 reoccurence left breast
6/05 added navelbiene w/ hercp every other wk
7/05 mascetomy
12/05 ned ; same regiment- every 3 wks
3/06 & 7/06 ned
9/06 stopped navelbiene.. hercp only.. every 3 wks;
10/06 pet scan shows positive lymph node in pec
12/06 PET no change;
4/07 scan showed 4 abnormal nodes in right pec area ... these have increased in activity since last scan... will start back on weekly navelbeine & hercp
7/07 PET done ..this time it showed new nodules in both right & left lung area as well as increased activity in pec area..
8/07 started Taxol & Carboplatin with Hercp every 3 wks
10/07 PET done ...Great Report ... NED ....
11/07 continue with Hercp every 3 wks & do Taxol & Carboplatin every 6 wks
4/09 still on same regiment; 1 positive node in left lung and right pec area
DEBBIE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
Sheila

I too am interested in getting my tumor and helping if needed. I would think this project would get major support here!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
hutchibk

I have to check to see where they are stored (will do that tomorrow - my doc should know), but I have 2 tumors to donate... which might be interesting in it's own right, since my original tumor was
HER2+/ER+, and my first recurrence was HER2+/ER-.

I'm in.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 12-20-2007 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
Christine MH-UK

I'm interested in donating

Despite neoadjuvant FEC my tumor was still over an inch when it was removed, but moth-eaten, so there should be plenty to share. The only complication is that four years post-diagnosis my onc signed me off (new hospital policy), so I will have to deal with such matters through the surgical team. Still, I am willing to see if I can get a bit of my sample/ blood work sent off for this project. I have had too many friends not make it and also have no idea why I have survived NED for so long.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #27
Julie2

I can definitley share my medical records and blood sample but my tumor sample is very little as I had complete response with my neoadjuvant chemo.

Julie
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #28
Barbara2

I will share all that is necessary, too. I'm wondering what my onc would say...Once when I asked him about testing my tumor for Ki-67 he talked me out of it siting that I have had a couple of tests done on the tumor, and we don't want to use up too much of it, in case further testing has to be done at a later time.

I had a large tumor...4.5cm which is almost 2 inches, so it seems I should have plenty to spare. Only a small piece is needed, so I am not concerned.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #29
Cathya

Lani;

I am not sure how to go about this but am totally prepared to offer whatever you need (tumor and/or pathology report .....I am ER+/PR+, Her2+ borderline). I live in Canada (if that makes a difference in obtaining samples?) and know a couple of other Her2+ bc patients not on the site who I am sure would also agree to support this effort. Your efforts are certainly not unappreciated .... rest and let us know exactly what you need. Happy holidays.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #30
AlaskaAngel

Question Donating from your tumor

Barbara and everyone,

The idea of donating seems pretty simple until some of these questions come up. I was considering participating in a clinical trial that required a piece of my tumor for analysis just prior to what I knew would be 5 years from my surgery for breast cancer. So while I was waiting for the Seattle site for the clinical trial to start accepting candidates, I had my tumor blocks sent to me, to be certain I at least had them for certain. As I think maybe StephN pointed out, there are the slides of the tumor that were originally made from part of the tumor and stained and used for the diagnosis, and then there are the tumor blocks. I was given the choice of taking either one, but not both. I had the blocks sent to me. The slides are still held at the Seattle path lab. In the particular institution where my slides are maintained, they are kept for 5 years where they can be rapidly accessed and then at 5 years they are transferred to storage that takes a little longer to access, and are kept there at least another 5 years and most are kept much longer.

Tumors vary. Some, for example, might be 2 cm across at widest point, but maybe some of that is just fingers here and there sticking out... so some parts might be better for analysis than other parts. For example, I had my original core biopsy here in Alaska and that is stored at the path dept here. When it was read by the pathologist, that pathologist came up with a preliminary estimate of the characteristics of the tumor, and that estimate was that it was only grade 2 based on the portion of the tumor that was the core sample removed from the entire tumor. Then when I had my surgery in Seattle to remove the tumor, more tissue was available and.... that portion was analyzed to be.... grade 3.

So, for some of us it isn't like any part of the original tissue block is as good as any other part when it comes to being used for scientific purposes, including any future use I might have for some of it if I want to use it for analysis to use with some future targeted drug. Some parts of mine are more "valuable" to me than other parts.

So when I was considering participating in the clinical trial, I asked how much was going to be required for the trial. I was told that mere microns are sufficient. (They did tell me that no one EVER asks these questions. That doesn't stop me, or even slow me down.) I don't know about YOU, but if I have just one tumor to hang onto and it can mean the difference between being able to use a better treatment at some point or not due to lack of adequate or accurate representative piece of it, I'm going to be... downright PICKY about it. I could not get a definite answer as to how much the path lab was going to take for the trial, or even whether what they would take would leave any truly representative portion for me to use for future testing if I needed it. My guess is that when the path lab is asked to create the sample for the trial, they aim at taking the most representative part of the tumor for the portion they remove. I may even need more than one sample eventually for targeted treatment, who knows?

Some people's tumors are very small. Or even if the tumor is large, maybe most of it is fingers or even thready or scattered bits of tumor cells. So this can be a very important thing to define before simply contributing to a registry.

If anyone knows any different, I hope they will correct me. I am all for establishing a registry and donating but I do want to be sure we each have what we need for our own testing and that we each know what we are doing when donating any.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #31
Lani

Alaska Angel

in fact most researchers prefer either a core or an already "sliced" slide

Both require tiny bits of tissue--but if you are someone who had DCIS with microinvasion or a 2mm tumor, it might not seem so insubstantial

I got my first reply from the three emails I sent:

It was nice meeting you again in San Antonio. When you have a more detailed proposal please forward it to me. I did discuss the general idea with the head of our bioinformatics and she will be glad to further discuss the proposition, once we have more details. Of course we need to make sure that if and when material will be collected, it will be via appropriate means, i.e., transferring it from one institute directly to the other, to allow high fidelity of the material.

I am waiting for a reply from the gentleman from Washington University who supplies tissues to researchers,

Not a good season to get prompt replies, but...I am thrilled that there are now 29 replies on this thread and it is only 4 days old.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #32
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
i am very excited to hear that this may be possible just wondering if being Canadian will come with different rules and protocols? I will begin to look into it from this end after holidays.
just recieved via mail a request for tissue for research being conducted here in Can but will hold off till i know more from this site.think it make more sense to have her2 tissues all together for mass research.
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #33
Lani

finally got a reply from the gentleman from Washington University who

is already involved in a service (?don't whether whether for profit or not-for-profit) which helps researchers find tissue specimens to work on

Seeing how Washington University took their right to hold onto the prostate cancer samples donated to Dr. Catalona's research when he decided to move to Northwester (not sure of the chicken vs egg of this) all the way to the Supreme Court, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether this would be an institution in the running at all. Unsure of his motivations, but here is his answer:

Good afternoon,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Of course, everyone wants
everything before the holiday.

As far as a Her2+ registry...
Most investigators want to compare the results on Her2+ and Her2-
When using the same biomarker, reagent, protein, etc.

When investigators request our tissue microarrays we give them the ER,
PR, and Her2 status on each case. When investigators request full
tissue sections, we cut another section for them to run the Her2 test
(if they desire this result).

So at this point, I would suggest donating the tissue to a resource so
they can use it. Of course, keep a block for yourself (well for your
doctors).

Creating a tissue resource requires a lot of time, money, government
approvals, IRB approvals, training, etc. Most resources take years
before they are actually up and running and can help investigators.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #34
Lani

finally got a reply from the gentleman from Washington University who

is already involved in a service (?don't whether whether for profit or not-for-profit) which helps researchers find tissue specimens to work on. I thought perhaps he could pass on some words of wisdom on what it takes to set up a registry or donate samples to an established institution to be utilized in their own or others research.

Seeing how Washington University took their right to hold onto the prostate cancer samples donated to Dr. Catalona's research when he decided to move to Northwester (not sure of the chicken vs egg of this) all the way to the Supreme Court, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether this would be an institution in the running at all. Unsure of his motivations, but here is his answer:

Good afternoon,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Of course, everyone wants
everything before the holiday.

As far as a Her2+ registry...
Most investigators want to compare the results on Her2+ and Her2-
When using the same biomarker, reagent, protein, etc.

When investigators request our tissue microarrays we give them the ER,
PR, and Her2 status on each case. When investigators request full
tissue sections, we cut another section for them to run the Her2 test
(if they desire this result).

So at this point, I would suggest donating the tissue to a resource so
they can use it. Of course, keep a block for yourself (well for your
doctors).

Creating a tissue resource requires a lot of time, money, government
approvals, IRB approvals, training, etc. Most resources take years
before they are actually up and running and can help investigators.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #35
Lani

It is not as easy to donate as one might think

I have learned that even those who leave art collections to museums cannot be assure that they will keep the collection together and that they will not just sell the objects to another museum.

We live in a complicated world...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #36
Bev

Yes it is complicated. I'm fine with paying costs if they're in 3 figure mode. I'm not very useful but can email or do pm's to members. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #37
lilyecuadorian

I WILL SEND MINE TOO ..NO DOUBT ABOUT IT
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #38
Barbara2

Alaska Angel, my tumor was very similar to what you described. It had a core of about 2.6cm, but fingers that stretched out to 4.5 cm.

The report from the needle biopsy said the tumor was a grade 2; after the sugery, the report listed the tumor as a grade 3.

You brought up some interesting points. It's good to question things. I have also been told by my onc that "no one has ever asked that question before." It seems most people accept whatever they are told and don't think about the "why's" or "what if's." They simply accept whatever they are told.

I'm so glad we have people on this site that ask tough questions and are forever looking for answers to this cancer puzzle. More "heads" are always better than one when looking for answers.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
Mgarr

Willing to send mine or anything I can do. Let me know.

Mary

ps thanks for all the time & energy you all put in

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #40
Lani

for those who would like to learn more about the research

of Dr. Margaret Huflejt, I found a video of her talk at an AACR conference regarding TACAs

http://www.aacr.org/home/scientists/...ferences.aspx#

I think you get a sense of her abundant energy and passion for her research.
_Warning--lots of long words, but illustrations