HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Lani

Canadian Medical Assoc's new guidelines4 bc screening--you are not going 2like this

Maybe cost effective not to screen, may avoid some biopsies, but doubt it will SAVE any lives (versus screening)

New breast cancer screening guidelines released

Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care issues updated guidelines

New breast cancer screening guidelines for women at average risk of breast cancer, published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) (pre-embargo link only) http://www.cmaj.ca/site/embargo/cmaj110334.pdf, recommend no routine mammography screening for women aged 40-49 and extend the screening interval from every 2 years, which is current clinical practice, to every 2 to 3 years for women aged 50-74. The guidelines also recommend against routine clinical breast exam and breast self-examination in asymptomatic women.

The guidelines, aimed at physicians and policy-makers, provide recommendations for mammography, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), breast self-exams and clinical breast exams by clinicians. They target average-risk women in three age groups (40󈞝, 50󈞱 and 70󈞶 years) who have not had breast cancer and do not have a family history of breast cancer in a mother, sister or daughter.

"As the Guideline on Breast Cancer Screening was last updated in 2001 and breast cancer screening has since become a subject for discussion amongst doctors and patients, the revitalized Canadian Task Force selected breast cancer screening as the topic for its first guideline," said Dr. Marcello Tonelli, Chair of the Task Force on Preventive Health Care and Associate Professor at the University of Alberta, Department of Medicine, in Edmonton, Alberta. "We intend that this Guideline, which reflects the latest scientific evidence in breast cancer screening, be used to guide physicians and their patients regarding the optimum use of mammograms and breast examination."

According to the guideline, outcomes of breast cancer screening such as tumour detection and mortality must be put into context of the harms and costs of false–positive tests, overdiagnosis and overtreatment. False–positive results can have a significant impact on the emotional well-being of patients and families. They can cause lifestyle disruptions and result in costs to both patients and the health care system.

"Providing Canadians with guidelines that reflect the most current scientific evidence is our priority," said Dr. Tonelli. "We encourage every woman to discuss the risks and benefits of screening with their doctor before deciding on the best approach for them."

Key recommendations:

No routine mammography for women aged 40-49 because the risk of cancer is low in this group while the risk of false–positive results and overdiagnosis and overtreatment is higher

Routine screening with mammography every two to three years for women aged 50-69

Routine screening with mammography every two to three years for women aged 70-74

No screening of average-risk women using MRI

No routine clinical breast exams or breast self-exam to screen for breast cancer.

"There was no evidence that screening with mammography reduces the risk of all-cause mortality," state the authors. "Although screening might permit surgery for breast cancer at an earlier stage than diagnosis of clinically evident cancer (thus permitting the use of less invasive procedures for some women), available trial data suggest that the overall risk of mastectomy is significantly increased among recipients of screening compared with women who have not undergone screening."

In addition to the full guidelines, one-page information pieces are available for both physicians and patients on the task force website: www.canadiantaskforce.ca

The Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care is an independent body of 14 primary care and prevention experts. The task force has been established by the Public Health Agency of Canada to develop clinical practice guidelines that support primary care providers in delivering preventive health care.

In a related commentary http://www.cmaj.ca/site/embargo/cmaj111721.pdf, Dr. Peter Gøtzsche, Nordic Cochrane Centre, Copenhagen, Denmark, writes, "these guidelines are more balanced and more in accordance with the evidence than any previous recommendations."

He states that evidence does not support mammography screening and argues that screening is ineffective and even harmful because diagnosis of cancers that would otherwise be undetected lead to life-shortening treatments and mastectomies.

"The main effect of screening is to produce patients with breast cancer from among healthy women who would have remained free of breast disease for the rest of their lives had they not undergone screening," writes Dr. Gøtzsche.

"The best method we have to reduce the risk of breast cancer is to stop the screening program," he concludes. "This could reduce the risk by one-third in the screened age group, as the level of overdiagnosis in countries with organized screening programs is about 50%."
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Lani

Re: Canadian Medical Assoc's new guidelines4 bc screening--you are not going 2like th

Canadian BC Screening Guidelines Cost Lives

Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Guidelines for Breast Cancer Screening Ignore Best Evidence and Would Cost Thousands of Lives Each Year

New breast cancer screening guidelines by the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health (CTFOPH), which recommend against annual screening of women ages 40-49 and extending time between screens for older women, ignore results of landmark randomized control trials which show that regular screening significantly reduces breast cancer deaths in these women. While implementation of the CTFOPH guidelines may save money each year on screening costs, the result will be thousands of unnecessary breast cancer deaths.

Hellquist et al and Tabar et al, respectively, the largest and perhaps longest breast cancer screening trials ever performed, proved regular mammograms reduced breast cancer deaths by approximately a third – even in women 40-49. Their exclusion from CTFOPH consideration raises serious concerns about the CTFOPH analysis.

The Canadian guidelines, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, largely mirror those released by the United States Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) in 2009. The USPSTF approach misses 75 percent of cancers in women 40-49 and up to a third of cancers in women 50-74. An analysis (Hendrick and Helvie) in the American Journal of Roentgenology, showed that, if USPSTF recommendations were followed, 6,500 additional women each year in the U.S. would die from breast cancer. A similar proportion of Canadian women will likely die unnecessarily each year from breast cancer if the CTFOPH guidelines are followed.

“Panels without profound expertise in breast cancer screening should not be issuing guidelines. These recommendations are derived from flawed analyses and they defy common sense. Women and providers who are looking for guidance are getting bad advice from both Task Forces,” said Barbara Monsees, MD, chair of the American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Commission.

According to National Cancer Institute data, since mammography screening became widespread in the early 1990’s, the U.S. breast cancer death rate, unchanged for the previous 50 years, has dropped well over 30 percent. Every major medical organization with expertise in breast cancer care, including the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), American Cancer Society, American College of Radiology, and Society of Breast Imaging continue to recommend that women begin receiving annual mammograms at age 40.

“The Canadian guidelines may significantly impact the ability of women to get a mammogram in their community. The result may be to reverse the tremendous gains made against breast cancer over the last two decades,” said Dr. Monsees.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Laurel

Re: Canadian Medical Assoc's new guidelines4 bc screening--you are not going 2like th

The Nuks are nuts.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
chrisy

You're right - don't like that, but do like the denouncing news post where the ACR (something something of radiologists) call bull.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
PinkGirl

I don't see what has changed. Canadian women have always started
mammograms at age 50 and have ct's, mri's and mammograms at any age if they are high risk or having problems.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album

Last edited by PinkGirl; 11-22-2011 at 11:04 AM..
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
caya

Pink is correct. Any Canadian woman can go to her GP and request a mammogram. I started at age 40 and continued every year, including the year I was diagnosed by sheer luck while undergoing a breast reduction. The mammo missed my tumour because of my dense breasts.

all the best
caya
(in Florida on vacation)
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Lani

Routine screening with mammography every two to three years for women aged 50-69

Routine screening with mammography every two to three years for women aged 70-74

Every two or three years does not sound likely yearly to me!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
PinkGirl

"Providing Canadians with guidelines that reflect the most current scientific evidence is our priority," said Dr. Tonelli. "We encourage every woman to discuss the risks and benefits of screening with their doctor before deciding on the best approach for them."

That's pretty much how it works here ... the woman will 'discuss' and then have a mammo every year ...

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
caya

Lani

The every two to three years is only a guideline. Any Canadian woman can ask her doctor for a mammogram every year and get one. I get a yearly pelvic transvaginal ultrasound, a bone density test, pretty well anything I discuss with my doctor, she/he will write me a referral for any test.
And don't forget, ALL Canadian citizens are covered for health care- from a yearly physical to a walk-in clinic visit to an ER visit for a broken leg to emergency brain aneurysm surgery to chemo and Herceptin. No insurance forms to fill out, no worrying about losing coverage if you lose your job. You are covered from the moment you are born.

So I'm willing to put up with some guidelines that perhaps may not be the same as American standards, to have the wonderful EQUAL health care ALL Canadians have. I realize these are two separate issues, but sometimes in life one has to give a little to get a lot.

All the best
caya
(from Florida)
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 11-24-2011 at 07:21 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
Lani

Glad to hear how Canadian doctors feel free not to follow the guidelines.

Unfortunately in the US, insurance companies seem to love to use guidelines as an excuse not to pay and fail to allow individual circumstances or judgement to enter into the matter.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
AlaskaAngel

That is an interesting point -- the degree to which insurance companies influence medical care in the USA in comparison.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Britbee

Then I am really glad I live in Canada. Have a wonderful Doctor that has actually saved my life twice through mammos. Always insisted on full physical once a year with pap smears blood tests and mammo. Used to detest it but got to say this last year when they found the cancerous lymph node through mammo and it was HER2 would not have wanted to wait longer to find out about it!
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/

Britbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
hutchibk

In the US, insurance companies (which have terrible guidelines) follow Medicare guidelines first and foremost (which are monsterously terrible as a starting point), unless the insurance companies are bullied into paying something. Medicare is much harder to bully, but the guidelines start with them.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
norkdo

My surgeon brought up this stupid new guideline to scoff at it and to say how not one of his colleagues has even a grain of respect for anyone on the taskforce that wrote these guidelines. He said "no doctor I know would ever sabotage their patients' health by following these ridiculous guidelines."

One of the members of the task force was interviewed on the radio and she said it had "nothing to do with saving money." The reporters, like the public and the doctors who phoned in, screaming at her, are mystified. Why risk lives? How many women who think they are not high risk have all the facts about whether they are adopted or whether a grandmother had breast cancer ...when women used to deny having breast cancer out of prudery.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote