HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Brenda_D

Herceptin alone and toenails?

Hi ladies and Joe.
I've read through the thread about Herceptin side effects, and see where some of you are having issues with finger and toenails, but it seems that those are also on a chemo drug along with the herceptin.
I'm on Herceptin alone, at this point, and just recently noticed that one big toenail is acting like it's ingrown, but it's not, and it's got a cut (for lack of a better word) near the base, on the side.
Anybody think it's Herceptin related?

I just had H #3, and the lump on my neck has swelled again, but not as big as last time. They never did find out what caused it. Port seems ok. They don't seem worried that you can't draw blood from it. Scans and doppler didn't show any blood clots.

I have noticed that a day or so after treatment, I have a headache, and I also never had headaches before. I assume that's from the Herceptin.

Thanks.
Brenda
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Melinda

Brenda,
here is a link to the Herceptin side effects that our sisters have experienced. Nails in general do seem to be effected by Herceptin as well a other minor S/effects. I personally find that using some type of cream of Vitamin E oil helps keep the from "splitting.cracking" etc.
I started H in March o7 and did not know which drug was causing each of the side efefects. Now that I am on H alone its becoming more eveident what I can contribute to Herceptin. We all have different experiences, but fortunately my issues are minimal.
Hope this helps
Melinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Chelee

Brenda, I would think herceptin is most likely to blame for the toe nail problem. It seems everyone I've heard from on herceptin has had problems with nail growth, weakness and splitting of nails.

On another note I can't understand why they aren't concerned about your port? I am glad they did the doppler to rule out possible clots but obviously there *is* a problem if they *can't* get a blood draw from your port. I don't know of any cancer center that doesn't remove a port like yours if it won't draw. One of the biggest reasons for a port besides having infusions is the ability to have all your lab work done from your port. Just for that reason alone I don't understand why they aren't removing it? It makes life so much easier for you AND your chemo nurses. Its better then getting poked all the time for your CBC's and CMP's. I think I might ask them why they aren't getting you a new one. And since your still having that swelling on the side of your neck I would want to rule out the port 100% as a problem by having it pulled. Process of elimination.

The headaches you mentioned are no doubt from herceptin...that *is* very common after herceptin infusion. I always got a headache. I was given two tylenol before herceptin and sometimes it helped. But the headache is pretty normal. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
harrie

Nails

I was having some nail problems and it looked worst after my 6th TCH tx. Since then I have been on H only and it has been maybe 4 or 5 times. My nails have IMPROVED dramatically. They were really bad...discoloration, lifting, junk underneath top of nail...I thought I had a fungus! But my oncologist said it was just from my chemo and recommended I use tea tree oil. I put it on my nails every night and since then the deterioration of my nails stopped and they look 100% better and feel 100% stronger. If anyone is interested in seeing what my nails looked like before, email me and I can send you a closeup pic.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
fauxgypsy

The clinic (a well known clinic) that I was going to first told me that it was common for them not to be able to draw blood from a port, that it happened all the time. So they ignored it and a week later after chemo I had pain in the area around it all night. After an ultrasound and chest x-ray where they said they found nothing, the ultrasound technician told me that the nurse practitioner said the radiologist wanted another test but then she told me there was nothing wrong and basically to leave her alone. Later that week, they called me with an appointmnet to have it replaced. This one works much better and has never bothered me like the first one did. Maybe I sqeaked enough to get their attention. Good luck.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
weezie1053

Harrie, I completed chemo in Feb 07; however, I still have nails that are splitting. They are far better than they were back when I was on Taxol, but it sounds like you have been successful with the splitting as well. When on chemo, they turned black and red, and I had to be placed on antibiotics. My Nickname was "Gothis Barbie. Where do you purchase "tree tea oil?"

Also, I agree with the other gals. My port was not working properly, and one of the Nurses got in the Oncologist's face until he scheduled the surgery to have it replaced. Second port works like it should.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
StillHere

Tea Tree oil can be found at health/vitamin stores. I just asked at the front desk. There were a varity of brands to chose from. My pedicurist recommended it. I also heard at a Homeopathic seminar that Tea Tree oil is antibacterial and can be used in aroma therapy to kill germs in the air. Peace Karen
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
harrie

Weezie...and I also keep my nails very short. I am very happy with the improvements. Hope you give the tea tree oil a try. Good luck.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote