HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Clints72

Need advise

I've come to realize my wife feels guilty that she got cancer. I did not anticipate she would feel this way and I'm not sure what to do/say. It literally make me sick that she feels this way.

Would really appreciate input/perspective.

Thanks
Clints72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Nurse4u2day

Re: Need advise

Clint speaking from a point of view as a wife and a mother of 2 I also have had bouts of feeling guilty for getting cancer. It's not guilt in the sense of what did I do wrong that caused this, it's more of a sense of my feeling like my husband did not sign up for this when he married me and he certainly didn't sign up to have a wife with a mutulated body!
The sense of guilt that one has for putting there family through this can be awful. Sometimes i see it like I can take this cancer but it's do hard to see my family hurt. Us females feel like the core of the family and the guilt when we can't do our jobs can be imense at times. You need to remind your wife that you did sign up for this when you married her. You need to make sure not to shy away from her if she has scars related to the surgeries. Most of all you need to remind her of how much she has done for her family all these years and that now more then ever it's time for her to be taken care of. And to always say this is what you both signed up for and that is to love each other no matter what!
These are all the things that my husband tells me often and it helps with the guilt.
Best of wishes Tamara
12/13 port placed
12/13 neoadjuvant DD AC xs 4 rounds started
02/14 taxol/herceptin started every week xs 12 rounds
Herceptin for 1 year
Ki67=23%
BRCA1&2 negative
5/06/14 last round taxol/herceptin. Chemo done!!!
5/07/14 clear CT scan
6/11/14 Bilateral Mastectomy Done
6/15/14 8mm tumor post chemo. Removed by bmx
6/15/14 lymph nodes 0/9
6/15/14 officially Cancer Free
7/11/14 emergency surgery to left breast . Wound refused to heal and broke open. New TE placed
7/28/14 emergency medical procedure now to right breast( post op 6 weeks mastectomy ) wound opens.
8/25/14 - 10/07/14 Radiation
11/24/14 CT of Brain clear
01/23/15 One year Herceptin Complete
02/04/15 Diep done
5/01/15 1 year Ct scan- mass in thymus
6/23/15 repeat CT mass in thymus still present
6/30/15 biopsy thymus 7/03/15 mass Benign! Diagnoses Thymic hyperplasia rebound ( chemo at fault, no long term health effects)
7/08/15 phase 2 diep
11/23/15 phase 2b ( reconstructive surgery with lipo)
03/05/18 Vinnie Myer 3 D nipple tattoos complete.
11/19/2018 5 years since Dx of IBC stage 3c remain NED.
11/19/21- 8 years today I officially remain NED and in 12 days I will be having a lymphnode transfer to help decrease some mild lymphedema! Still working, living life and soon to see a day I thought never would happen and that’s becoming a grandparent June 22nd.
11/19/2023 - 10 years since diagnosis and I remain NED
Nurse4u2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Becky

What Tamara says is right on. I knew my husband could take it but I worried so much about my kids. I was that "somebody's else's mother" who was their mother this time. It wasnt fair to them to think all the things they think. But all this is normal and a progression of what one goes through on this journey. I am now ten years out and your wife will be one day too. All you need is love and I know you have plenty or you wouldn't have written
'

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Lnmum

Clint, I totally relate to your wife. I was married to Mac last October. I was diagnosed with BC WITHIN 2 months of being married. His first wife had died from BC in 2009.

I HATE putting him through this AGAIN. My story is different than his first wife. I was blessed with early detection. I had STAGE 1 cancer (triple positive, BRCA2+). He has seen me through hell this year. Partial masectomy, chemo, herceptin, total hysterectomy, and double mastectomies with tram flap coming up on Friday. The first marriage was 4th stage with chemo and radiation and only 6 months until she died

She probably feels bad for putting you through the angst, anguish, and grief. Just love her through it. You are an awesome husband. Please consider counseling (couples therapy would be great).
God bless you!
Loren
12/11/13 core biopsy with clip placed
1/6/14 Duke consult BC Treatment
1/30/14 partial right mastectomy, sentinel node biopsy 2 setinal nodes clear. 1.1 cm IDC, close margins.
3/13/14 met Dr Heather White in Greenville, NC. She is wonderful and my new oncologist.
3/18-19/14 Dr. White ordered pet scans, full body ct, bilateral MRIs and BRCA TEST.
3/20/14 5/15/14 chemo taxol/Herceptin 1x/week
3/25/14 port placement
4/17/14 BRCA2+
5/22/14 Herceptin only 1x every 3 was for a year. incomplete Taxol(neuropathy of hands and feet)
7/2/14 oopherctomy, salpingoopherectomy, hysterectomy at Vidante with Dr. Marie Rowe.
10/3/14 BMX/trams flap with Georgaide and Zenn at Duke.
Lnmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Cif

what aspect of guilt is brewing? income burdens, sex, damaged goods, an activity/sport/hobby given up, a list of things?

Our private comms have her and I with so many similar issues maybe I can help. I supported physically two households and now still trying to walk and keep balance and manage pain. Hubby and I earned nearly same and now I'm not working. I was physically and mentally ... hot, now I'm marked up and relearning to read, math, cook without burning house down ... so cognitively and physically challenged.

But I'm cooking things like Alton Browns Food network pork wellington, and many type 2 diabetes recepies tp benefit his health and is diet for BC (no dairy, low glycemic index, no pestcides - haa hard to find). In process I feel contributing to his improved mental and physical health, my learning to read and math, and learning to set timers/notes to adapt to to brain hit from chemo.

I'm contributing, he is getting healthier too. We experiment with flavors and share/learn likes/dislikes. Even spur reflections on childhood foods missed and try to recreate and associated stories and laugh at them. I have thick padded pieces of anything padded throughout (ewe yuck) kitchen, but greatly reduces pain and increases kitchen endurance. Regarding sex, working on those fixes per off comm with you (surgery to unshrink from chemo, dilators, YES, Replense).

I've physically benefited most from CLASSICAL STRETCH: THE ESMONDE Technique avail via public TV and internet. Key (for me) is to veg when in pain mode (thank you private poster for that priceless tip) and do this light yoga on good days. Esmonde is a BC survivor too and method used by all sports from hockey to snowboarders, football, Olympians).

Find out what is driving the guilt, then you can teamwork a possible solution. Don't rule out meds being mood driver. I'm in her shoes in many ways and willing to toss out unprofessional opinions/ideas to help.

here is the biggest help from hubby that has me improving (e.g., up to 15 min mile) ... on days I apologize for getting nothing done but a couple of bills, or phone calls to resolve my parents insurance battles he says " you are pushing too hard and likely how you got wore out and sick to begin with... I'm not worried, chill, everything can wait ... if you are not up to it tomorrow either have your Mom pick you up and do a movie or something. You've always expected too much from yourself, back off a bit" OMG, in a way he is saying, stop and smell the roses.

For me I pick three major things to do per week (sadly, what I used to do in an hour or day before). without a list on fridge I will lose time/focus, without setting a timer for things I'll lose time/focus. By getting lists done I contribute, then not feeling guilty.
Cif is offline   Reply With Quote