HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
cjjhero

Surgery pending for sister.

My sister has estrogen/progesterone negative, HER2+, stage 2 with no lymph node involvement.

She was given a treatment plan of 6 rounds of TCH chemo prior to surgery, double mastectomy (her choice not her doctor's) and herceptin for 1 year. No radiation therapy is scheduled.

Surgery was delayed for a few months because she developed a very bad yeast infection on her chest.
She has seen the plastic surgeon for reconstruction and the oncologist cleared her for surgery in February. He wants her to have one more herceptin treatment prior to surgery. She'll have 3 more rounds of herceptin after surgery. Also, there is no evidence of the tumor which the breast surgeon and oncologist have verified which is good news.

She has been a fighter with a good attitude. She is a little concerned but said the chemo would probably be worse than the surgery.

Which was worse the mastectomy or chemotherapy?

Thanks.
cjjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
whatz

Re: Surgery pending for sister.

I expected chemotherapy to be a lot harder than what it actually turned out to be. It wasn't easy, not my most favorite thing every, but not nearly as hard as I had expected it. My Dr. had my accompanying medicine down to a science and I did not have any problems with nausea. I also was lucky that I did not have any allergic reactions and overall tolerated both course of chemo well. The easiest was the adjuvant 1 year perception with minor side effects (runny nose etc.). Worst side effects were foggy brain and great, great fatigue. I listed to the advice that my Dr gave and rested as much as I needed to and did not try to push through fatigue and that helped. I was able to work throughout my chemo (though not sometimes not in full capacity due to "chemo-brain".).
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Lucy

Hands down, no contest, chemo was much worse than the mastectomy. With the mastectomy I had some range of movement issues, which is to be expected, and that was it. I couldn't reach things for a while and couldn't lift a lot but otherwise the only "discomfort" I remember was during the first couple of days trying to get up from the couch (because it's a deep couch). I remedied that by putting some large pillows behind me so that I didn't have to "work" to get up. Other than that, I didn't have pain or sickness at all with the mastectomy. I didn't have to take pain pills either, although I think some sort of "pain booster" shot was given during the surgery.

Chemo, on the other hand, was much worse than I expected. So definitely, chemo was worse for me.

Good luck with your sister. Sending good vibes that all will go well.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
thinkpositive

Chemo was worse for me than the mastectomy. As Lucy mentioned, there will be some range of motion limitations after surgery. Having the drains in after surgery and not being able to take a bath was annoying but that being said , it was still easier than chemo.

Good luck to you sister
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Dakini52

My mastectomy was a cake walk compared with Chemotherapy and I found radiation to be the worst of all. It just keeps on working and tightening the skin long after the appts are over. I have a separated rib that will never heal as one side effect due to aftereffects.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
whatz

I just re-read my post and saw my atrocious spelling (I think I had some auto-correct going). My apologies. Reading through the other responses though you can see that individual responses are different and it always depends on how the individual can tolerate the respective treatment course.
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Cari

Chemotherapy hit me like a freight train. I was only able to complete 4 of six rounds due to multiple blood transfusions for hemoglobin, dehydration, and vomiting that could not be controlled.
The double mastectomy was a piece of cake. I was out slowly walking 1-2 miles a day within a week. VERY slow miles, but it felt good. Dr said I could walk.
Cari is offline   Reply With Quote