HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
Marlys

Me too! Every 3 weeks, 30 minutes. Also take 2 Tylenol before starting but no long waiting period before they give me the Herceptin!
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
Roz

Smile

It's amazing that this topic should come up again now!! I Have just changed doctors and hospitals and had my first 3 weekly dose of Herceptin last week. There was some catastrophe regarding getting the Herceptin made up (all the chemo etc was incredibly late because of ...blah..blah), and when the nurse was setting up, I asked her if
1. I was getting a triple dose
2.She was going to give it to me over 90 minutes (as that was my usual)
She said it was usually given over 1/2 hour and often without a saline flush afterwards (always the heparin flush for the port). I negotiated 1 hour with her.
However, I believe that if we are going to get dosed long term, we should be looking after our bodies/hearts as much as poosible, hence I will be insisting on at least 1 hour time frame, and a saline flush.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #23
Susan

I get herceptin every 3 weeks, and they've slowed the drip, so it takes about 2 hours now. I was getting bad headaches before slowing it down. I also still get the benedryl and tylenol. I'm also getting the faslodex shot every month.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #24
cherylynnie

Smile

I have only had my loading dose, which was ninety minutes. I can't remember if it was on the first herceptin day or one of the last taxotere treatments, but the onc came in and told the nurses that all herceptin doses will be 90 minutes for everyone from here on out. He didn't state the reason, but I am sure they probably asked him later. But it makes sense that it will be easier on your heart by going in slower. I will ask when I go next time.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #25
lisahammo

I have my Herceptin weekly, and over 30 minutes. It used to be 1 1/2 hours due to the size of the vein they were using. It was a tiny vein near my knuckles, so they ran it slower. However, now I have a port, and it can be run quicker.

Take care.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #26
Cathya

It usually took around 90 minutes for my herceptin....BUT...why are you NOT on arimidex now that you have had your ovaries removed?? I would DEFINITELY look into this aspect of your treatment with your oncologist.

Best regards,

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 AM   #27
Kimberly Lewis

questions regarding infusion times + side effects

Why is there such a wide range of Infusion times? I was 90 minutes on first one and then lessening the time each tx. At one point I went down to 20 min! I thought that was good untill I woke up with a bloody nose every morning and thought that there was a connection. I asked them to slow down the time and still have what I would call "nose boulders" - continual nasal problems, even though my new onc does a 1 1/2 hr infusion. anyone have similar treatments, side effects? Stage 3a her2+++ er/pr+ 7/20 nodes.
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #28
Chelee

Hi Kimberly, My first was 90 minutes and once they found out I had no problems it is down to 30 minutes weekly. But like you...I always get the bloody crusty nose. It can get quite painful if I don't stay on top of it with saline spray and sometimes putting chapstick or vasline in my nose.

Although its strange...this LAST Monday I had all three of my drugs on infusion. Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin. This is now Thrusday and this is the FIRST time I have NOT had the blood all over my kelnex...or my nose running and crusty. But sometimes it will take a few extra days.

But you are NOT alone in that side affect when it comes to herceptin...its been brought up before and I see quite a few of us deal with that problem.

The ONLY thing I noticed this time for me that MIGHT of made it different...is I STAYED on TOP of them and made sure I had my Procrit shot, and Neulasta. I wanted my counts right this time. They always let me go TOO LONG without. But I am speaking up now. I have to do my own research...seems like they enjoy saving the HMO's money over the patients care.

So this time I had all my counts up for a change...now no bloody nose. Maybe its just a coinidence? (sp) Either way it feels better this time around. But we will see how long that lasts. But like you...I have alway has nausal problems since hercetpin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3 +++, Er &Pr positive, Node positive, & on herceptin, taxotere, & Carbpotin.

Chelee
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #29
Unregistered

Thank you all for your replies. I will discuss Arimidex with my onc. Is it ok to take with the Herceptin? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #30
Becky

It is okay to take Arimidex with Herceptin. I have been taking this combo for 8 months now. It is a recommended combo as well.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:09 AM   #31
janet/FL

Somewhere I read--thought it was on this board--that the standard in the clinical trials in Europe? was 30 minutes for a 3 week dose. But then they realized there were more heart problems doing it this fast.
I go for 2 hours on a 3 week dose and at least 45 minutes on a weekly regime. I sometimes get a saline flush, depending on the nurse.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #32
athena453

I get a 30 minute infusion every three weeks. No premeds.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote