HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Mike (Cheryl\'s husband)

I regret to tell you all that my wonderful loving wife and mother of our three young girls Cheryl Newell passed away on Jan 8th. Cheryl loved this board and gained support from many of you.

She was hospitalized on Christmas Day with shortness of breath. They found fluid on her right lung and so they drained what they could with a small tube ( 2 liters )but there was so much cancer there that they needed to do surgery and a talc powder procedure where they use talcom powder to seal the lung against the chest wall. This procedure also didn't work and within two days the cancer had spread to her other lung. The fluid just continued to build up and the doctors suggested we take her to a hospice facility where she only lasted less than 24 hours.

Cheryl and I got a week to talk while she was in the hospital and for her to prepare herself for God and although she fought so hard, she was ready to be with her lord and savior. (Something that I thought I would never hear her say as she was so determined to beat this)

Now please hear this as this is something Cheryl wanted each of you to know. Cheryl was told in August of this year that her original oncologist was mistaken when he had told her that the cancer had spread to her bones. Her new Oncologist told her she didn't need Chemo because she was "cancer free". Of course this gave Cheryl what we believed to be a miracle from God. Time after time, month after month, Cheryl continued to tell the doctor of more pain she was having and each time the doctor would have some excuse as to why this pain existed always sticking to her belief that it was not cancer. Even when we went in on Xmas Day the doctor told her that her scans were clear. When Cheryl complained that she could barely breath the doctor sent her for an X-Ray. When we returned, the doctor told us "I don't know how I missed it but when I went back and looked at your CT Scan from Dec 22nd, I now see the fluid and a couple of nodules. ( I later saw the scan and there was 19 nodules!) This doctor was telling us 2 weeks before the cancer spread so much that it took her life that she didn't have metastic bone cancer! PLEASE,PLEASE, don't depend on your doctor! Trust what your body is telling you and get a 2nd, 3rd and even 4th opinion if it doesn't seem right. I am now left to raise our three girls and I had to watch my wife suffer in her final two weeks because of a incompentent Oncologist. Beware, there are more of them out there than we know. Demand answers! Demand attention! You all provided so much comfort and hope for Cheryl and it was important to her that I speak bluntly to you all so that maybe someone else won't suffer because of a horrible oncologist. This one was from a major cancer center so don't think just because you are being treated at a 1st class facility that this won't happen to you. Many simply don't take the time to really understand each patients entire situation.

May God Bless you all and protect you from this horrible disease. I've learned that when my wife had cancer, the entire family has cancer and it affects every aspect of your life.

Guys, cherich and protect your ladies. They need us!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Jackie

Mike, I am so very, very sorry to hear of Cheryl's passing. I am fairly new to this board but know Cheryl's name and remember her postings. The wonderful women who contribute to this board will miss her (as I know you will read). Thank you for telling your story which is astounding but is something all of us need to hear, and by telling it here you might be responsible for preventing that situation from happening to someone else. I wish you the best of luck in the future in raising your girls. May God bless all of you!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:54 PM   #3
Linda in MI.

Dear Mike,

Your post broke my heart. I followed your wife Cheryl, as did many ladies on this site. I am also a young mother so I took special interest in her posts. I don't know what to say except how very sorry I am that she was taken from you and your three beautiful daughters. THere is nothing more heartbreaking than for a child to lose a mother at such a young age. I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain and suffering. Just know that we are all here for you if you need a shoulder to lean on. It was so thoughtful and kind of Cheryl to tell you to share the information that you wrote on the post.

Cherish the memories of all the special moments you shared as a couple and as a family. Get counseling....I'm sure this will help the children.

May God bless Cheryl always and always keep her close by your side during these difficult times.

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:29 AM   #4
eleanor

Dear Mike,
I am so sorry to hear of Cheryl's passing. She was always there for us and will be missed.
My prayers are with you and your family.
el
Old 01-16-2004, 03:28 AM   #5
pam

Mike - my greatest sympathy to you and your children. I remember Cheryl's posts and am so sorry to hear this news. I Pray that you will all find some comfort at this time.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 AM   #6
Lolly

Dear Mike,
I thought of Cheryl as my Her2 Angel Sister. I'm saddend to hear she's passed on, and yet in a way she will always be with us, in our memories and on this board as we can go back and read her posts offering advice and encourgement. I will continue to remember her in my prayers, and will pray for you and the children also. Blessings to you and your family, and please remember you are a part of our "family" and are always welcome here.
Love and Hugs,
Lolly
Old 01-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
Lisa

Mike,
Like all the rest of us, I am so very sorry for your loss. I want to thank you for supporting her in this fight. I know it wasn't easy since, as you said, you too were affected. She was so fortunate to have a loving family surrounding her. I pray that the girls will continue to feel her presence as they struggle through this horrible time. Know that if you ever need to share, we're all here for you.

Much love and light,

Lisa
Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Kim in CA

Dearest Mike,
I am so deeply saddened to hear of your Cheryl's passing. I haven't visited this sight in such a long time because of some of my own troubling family issues, so I wasn't prepared to hear such sad news. I will keep you and your family in my prayers along with all the other Her2 Angels and we will all keep fighting this monster with all that we've got. Kim
Old 01-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Lyn

I am so so sorry, I was that upset I had to come back to reply to your post. It took a lot of courage for you to let us know what you and Cheryl have been through. We all know that there are no words to comfort you at this time, it helps to believe that the gentle breeze, the warmth of the sun on your face, and beautiful butterflys are Cheryl trying to comfort you.

Prayers for you and your children, Love & big Hugs from Lyn.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #10
Carla

Mike:
What a blessing it is to have such a loving husband, right there by her side. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
Carla
Old 01-17-2004, 05:17 AM   #11
JaneP

My sincere sympathy to you. Thank God she knew you loved her.

Jane