HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Sandy H.

I have been following posts from several on Abraxane and was excited on what I was hearing. I was so hoping that it would be something I could take later. I had read about the neuropathy still being there and maybe, it being worse then on Taxol. I asked my oncologist today and he said he would not use it with me. He said the only advantage to using that instead of the Taxol is it can be given with no pre meds and that is good for avoiding the steriods. He said that was the first thing he looked for was the neuropathy and so did I. We were both very disappointed to find that it would be no different and it maybe, worse. He said he will continue using the Taxol until they come out with something better for the neuropathy. He said for some of us such as myself, the neuropathy changes our quality of life and he said he is looking for something to help us and so far there is nothing. I am happy for those of you that it seems to be working for. I kept putting off asking him because I didn't want to hear what I knew he was going to tell me. hugs, Sandy
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Lisa

Sandy,

I thought that clinical trials showed it had greater responses than Taxol?
My onc did say that the neuropathy might be greater, but then receeded quicker, too. I don't know if he meant between treatments or after several sessions. I'll know more after this week's followup PET scans.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
al from canada

Hello Ladies,
My understanding is that due to the difference in solvents used in the manufacture of the 2 drugs, abraxane can be dosed 50% higher than taxol with the same dose-limiting side effects. Abraxane and taxol are supposed to be the same drugs except for the solvent. The reason abraxane was out-performing taxol was because the doseage was 50% higher. It seems to me that if you dosed the 2 drugs the same, there would be no clinical advantage.
Some please correct me if I am wrong.
Al
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Sandy H.

Al that is a good question. I am not sure but this maybe, where the neuropathy may become worse is with the increased dose. My oncologist didn't seem excited over this new drug which surprised me. He is CEO of oncology where I get my treatments so he should be on top of anything new coming out. A nurse told me her personal opinion and, ITS ONLY HER PERSONAL OPINION, was that this new drug was to make more money as the Taxol would remain the cheaper one now and would be used less. Anyway, I think it is good that there is no need to use steriods with it as I always hated the steriods and only took half dose. My oncologist said that some people don't have a problem or very little problems with neuropathy from the Taxol. Unfortunately, I am not one of those but it works wonders with my skin mets. He indicated to me there was no difference in the two. He said he was looking at the side effects and was disappointed with the Abraxane!!! I am sure being new and just out it will change and we will see some more good come from it. The way I look at it its worth a try for anyone to try it. Al keep us updated. I am always interested in your posts. Sandy