HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Sandy H.

I was wondering if anyone knows how many types of breast cancer there is? I heard someone say there were about 15 but I thought that was a lot. Just interested in knowing. Hugs, Sandy
Old 06-30-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
Jojo

Sandy,

I'm no doctor myself, but this is all I know so far:

DCIS (typically not invasive, but could change to invasive in later stages??)
lobular carcinoma (invasive)
ductal carcinoma (invasive)

Anybody else know more??
Old 06-30-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Sandy

I know there is the IBC which is what I have so that maked 4. Thanks for your reponse. Hugs, Sandy
Old 06-30-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
JoJo

Sandy, I assume that you're referring IDC as invasive ductal carcinoma?../

Oh of course, there is inflammatory breast cancer. Me duh! Plus, there is also the Paget's disease.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
Cathy W

Isn't Paget's and IBC the same? If not, what's the difference. Just curious.
Cathy
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
JoJo

Hi Cathy,

Although they share one same symptom: redness on the skin, I think they are different. I think that Paget's stems from the nipple, whereas IBC stems from anywhere in the breast, except the nipple??

Anyone is welcome to correct me! :-)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
Sandy H.

Its my understanding they are not the same. Paget's is cancer of the nipple with itching and scaling. Its not very aggressive. IBC is the whole breast including lymph nodes as well as skin and very aggressive. Does anyone else have any in put on this? Hugs, Sandy H. oops, I forget to put the H. on.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
pattyz

If you Googled this question you'd get a definitive answer.....and I think you'd be surprised by it.

pattyz
Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #9
eleanor

There's another one that's really rare. I know someone who has breast cancer. I forget what it's called but it's a type of glandular cancer (cancer of the glands). Anyway in her case it attacked the mammary glands (thus breast cancer). Anyway, she was dx at age 26 and given 6 mos at best. It's now been over 10 yrs but she has been in some form of treatment consistently and the prognosis remains poor. Although she defied the odds, she literally spent her entire adult years living month to month, so she never married, was unable to have children. And though she is not bitter and has lead a relatively rewarding life, she does resent not being given the early years of not worrying about dying that we took for granted.
el