HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
fullofbeans

Detox buddy, anyone?

Hi all,

I have been a bit slack in my diet and in taking some of my supplements lately and I was wondering if anybody would like communicating with me if they fancied embarking in a 4 week detox.

I have started today and basically my plan is to eat veg, veg, veg! with over 60% raw the rest mostly lightly steamed or soup, for 4 week. Fish sometimes (specially when going out so can be sociable) andjust a small cup of oil (4 table spoon or so) daily, mostly uncooked i.e. for seasoning. Exercise daily and go to bed early!

If any of you fancied joining me we could communicate and support each other on the path of even better health, any taker????

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 04-08-2008 at 01:06 PM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
hutchibk

I want to join you. I love the idea. However, I will be traveling until Apr 17 - which makes a disciplined diet a little difficult, but I can certainly try!

This is a great idea, and it might also be a lesson in brutal honesty, hahahahahaha...

Let's do it!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
R.B.

Full of beans

What oils are you thinking about ?

Juicing?

High in greens?

Have you seen this site. Nutritiondata.com

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
StephN

Thumbs up

Hi "Beans" -
Wish you had posted that a couple of weeks ago. With special wine dinners, a trip to San Diago and 2 birthday parties coming up, I can't do this right now. But, even with all that, I am pretty strict with myself as far as my eating goes. (Perhaps you recall the organic grocery we plundered.)

Keep posting on how you do with it. AND what recipes/salads/soups/shakes you like the best.

Keep up the incredibly good work!

P.S. The "going to bed early" part I am not good at!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
Mary Jo

Hi Beans,

I probably shouldn't be commenting here because you are asking for detox buddies and I will not be one.

But, I did want to comment that this "detox" thing has always intrigued me. I'm not sure I could live on veggies and soup but again, it interests me and I think it would be a good thing.

Me personally, right now, I've kind of been bad. I am having DIEP reconstruction in June and "working" on hanging onto abdominal fat and have even gained some. THAT has made me anxious and not happy. Not only because of how "icky" I feel (appearance wise) but because of the food choices I've been making as of late - wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much sugar. Startiing today I am saying NO to the sugary treats - ENOUGH ALREADY - and will hope that the abdominal area will "hang on" till June. I suppose I'll not worry about "watching" my weight as much as "watching" the sugar intake. Oh well...........................

Like I said this intrigued me and I KIND OF would have liked to jump in BUT now is not the time. If nothing else though, you got me thinking about "detoxing" my body of some of the crap I've been ingesting as of late and for that I thank you.

I, like Steph, hope you (and those who join you) keep us posted on how it's going. What you're eating - good recipes etc.

Good luck and happy crunching.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Becky

Oddly, on Sunday, my oldest daughter and I discussed a 2 week detox. I am sure my middle daughter would do it too since she wanted to do the one where you drink the cayenne pepper, lemon juice, maple syrup and water mixture for 10 days.

I want to do the one where for 2 days you eat only fruits and veggies, one day just juicing then 10 days of water only (at least 3 quarts a day). After that - the reverse, a day of juicing then fruits and veggies (this part is raw only going into the fast and out). Gradually add back.

So, I think sometime when college is done (after May 15) we may do this. I'm not sure yet. Unfortunately, I cannot do it with you now. I wish I could but need some preplanning (like a slow down in business travel and I am going to New Orleans for 4 days next week and I am REALLY looking forward to the food).

Keep us posted though.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
fullofbeans

Ok then!

Thank you for yo responses with one taker Hutchibk, I'll mail you directy. Indeed the brutal truth will come out but I am very motivated; So far I have done well (yep I know it is only a day and half!!!).

RB, I will still be taking my omega 3 fish oil and the oil I will be using is as usual walnut, olive and flax in about equal proportion and all limited to very little everyday. Although sometimes I also use almond instead of walnut (lot of omega9). So I beleive my omega3/6 ratio shouldbe good. I also now also sprinkle some grounded flax seed (for ligand thanks StephN..I miss Seattle by the way)

Any veg allowed but no potatoes (cannot eat them lightly steamed anyway) and as much organic as possible with lots of green off course. (I get a box or local organic veg delivered home every week).

Becky, 10 days fasting, pretty tough if doing it in everyday life, good luck with it. Rest a lot, the first 3 days are the most difficult.

Marejo, always nice to hear from you and today 9 April 08 I had a great day again thank for your wishes the other day.

Perhaps we should report our progress in bed every week so we would be even more motivated...

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 04-09-2008 at 09:32 AM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
R.B.

HI Fullofbeans

Interesting choice of oils.

How much fruit?

Fruit juice?

Green tea?

Herbal tea?

Plain Yoghurt?

Dried seaweed Nori is good as an additive to juices.

I will think about it overnight. It does seem like a good idea.

It is not far from what I eat anyway. An occasional coffee would be out as would be the 85% chocolate, sweetened cranberries (it is the only way to get them dried). I would miss the comfort of a baked jacket or sweet potato - a winter habit.

Tastes do change over time. I am reaching for raw broccoli as a snack, which even surprises me. Appetite also seems to reduce.

What's an early night?

RB

R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote