HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
KatherineM

Re: Hello NEW Member Looking for info

Maureen -

Wow, your poor sister! What she is experiencing seems to me to fall far outside of the range of ordinary side effects. Do the docs say what the neck pain is attributable to? Are they from clots caused by the port? Clindamycin is what they gave me for folliculitis, where I had big pus-y sores on my head, but I used it as a gel, and had Doxycycline as well. But this doesn't sound like that.

I hope she starts feeling better soon. I ended up hooked up to IV fluids the day before yesterday b/c, after 4 treatments of no nausea or vomiting, I started feeling uncontrollable nausea and couldn't keep even water in my stomach. Since then, have been nauseated, vertiginous, and unable to eat much of anything. Bleck. And I was so proud of not having thrown up since New Year's Eve 1977!

I sincerely hope that things regulate themselves with your sister soon. Demand that the doctors tell you exactly what is causing the issues with her neck, and why this keeps happening. There needs to be a reason. Good luck, Maureen! In solidarity, Katherine
Started TCHP 4/25/14 - 6 rounds
Oncologist can no longer feel tumor, after 4th round
Chemo shrunk tumor to less than a mm
Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection 9/3/14
Radiation for 5 weeks, with boost
Herceptin until 4/3/15
CT Scan on 4/27 shows lung mets (lots of little ones on both sides, largest 1.6 cm) STAGE IV
Lung biopsy shows still HER2+++/ER-/PR-
Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta May, June, July 2015
Lung mets reduced by 50%
Just H&P through Fall 2015
11/15 Progression
Back on Taxol with H&P January 2016
THP no longer working March 2016
Start Kadcyla 3/16 After first treatment, experienced low platelets, tongue turned black, had to have transfusion. Dry cough and shortness of breath for first week, improves over second and third.
4/16 Platelet transfusion after second treatment, blood blisters in mouth. Allergic reaction to platelets.
6/16 Kadcyla not working. Progression to liver, though lung mets smaller.
7/16 Start Xeloda and Tykerb.
11/16 Port infected. Taken out. Have to go off chemo.
1/17 Back on Xeloda and Tykerb
5/17 Tykerb and Herceptin
11/17 Navelbine and Herceptin
12/17 Progression in lungs, liver reevaluated, no progression
1/18 Haloven and Herceptin
2/18 Sloan Kettering consultation
3/18 Brain mets, 16 lesions, largest 16mm
3/18 Cyberknife to 16mm lesion
3/18 Haloven and Tykerb added
4/18 Scan shows all lesions significantly smaller! Some almost gone. Radiation oncologist says she's never seen anything like it
7/18 Brain scan shows progression, w/ with one new lesion. Don't want to do WBR. Will try for tucatinib.
8.15.18 Start Keytruda
KatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
MaureenS

My sister's diagnosis and prognosis and dates are close to yours; no they haven't discussed what this back of the neck pain could be - it's a weekend don't you know!? She's been sleeping a good part of today and is exhausted and stressed out. This thing really wears on different family members differently - some seem to not be able to take any of it and just don't seem to be even willing to try; some seem to think they can take it but don't seem to really be able to handle it and some who end up handling it who probably shouldn't be handling any of it because they don't know what the hell they're doing (me.) The patient suffers too I know watching the different reactions - I can't even imagine and I'm curious as to others take on this - I know I'm veering off topic here but I'm feeling pretty alone.

My sister is really discouraged and sick of being sick and I'm frightened because I've never seen a family member - one who was always the picture of health and always so positive - go down so fast. I know these days in the treatment cycles are the worst and I keep telling myself that and she does bounce back but it's really sad to see her so miserable.

Anyway that's my story tonight.
Thanks for listening.
Maureen
MaureenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
KatherineM

Maureen - The stress on patients and their families is enormous! I keep having to remind myself that I've only known I had cancer for four months. How can one person process that, with all its ramifications and consequences? Families function, in duress, the same way they do normally -- only more so. With the same issues, the same personalities, just heightened and attenuated. I've been surprised by some friends and family who have really stepped up since my diagnosis, and disappointed in others who have kind of disappeared into the woodwork, or who promised things they didn't make good on, etc., and I've tried to not judge. You are the only one who can know if you're taking on too much, or if you need to ask for help. Make sure you have support for yourself, and do some things each day to try to alleviate the anxiety. Yoga helps me, meditation, and talking with my partner about what I need. He is unbelievably amazing, but I worry that he doesn't do enough for himself. So be kind to yourself. Tell your sister to start reading and posting on this site; she'll find a lot of company, practical suggestions, reassurance, and support. I hope she feels better soon. I'm starting to feel a little better, on the eve of Day 10.

Cheers, Katherine
Started TCHP 4/25/14 - 6 rounds
Oncologist can no longer feel tumor, after 4th round
Chemo shrunk tumor to less than a mm
Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection 9/3/14
Radiation for 5 weeks, with boost
Herceptin until 4/3/15
CT Scan on 4/27 shows lung mets (lots of little ones on both sides, largest 1.6 cm) STAGE IV
Lung biopsy shows still HER2+++/ER-/PR-
Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta May, June, July 2015
Lung mets reduced by 50%
Just H&P through Fall 2015
11/15 Progression
Back on Taxol with H&P January 2016
THP no longer working March 2016
Start Kadcyla 3/16 After first treatment, experienced low platelets, tongue turned black, had to have transfusion. Dry cough and shortness of breath for first week, improves over second and third.
4/16 Platelet transfusion after second treatment, blood blisters in mouth. Allergic reaction to platelets.
6/16 Kadcyla not working. Progression to liver, though lung mets smaller.
7/16 Start Xeloda and Tykerb.
11/16 Port infected. Taken out. Have to go off chemo.
1/17 Back on Xeloda and Tykerb
5/17 Tykerb and Herceptin
11/17 Navelbine and Herceptin
12/17 Progression in lungs, liver reevaluated, no progression
1/18 Haloven and Herceptin
2/18 Sloan Kettering consultation
3/18 Brain mets, 16 lesions, largest 16mm
3/18 Cyberknife to 16mm lesion
3/18 Haloven and Tykerb added
4/18 Scan shows all lesions significantly smaller! Some almost gone. Radiation oncologist says she's never seen anything like it
7/18 Brain scan shows progression, w/ with one new lesion. Don't want to do WBR. Will try for tucatinib.
8.15.18 Start Keytruda
KatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #24
MaureenS

Katherine,
We're almost one month behind you - my sister's first chemo session was on 6/12/2014 and we found out in April. She's scheduled for a mastectomy and then radiation once the chemo finishes (six rounds.) I'm glad you're feeling better and hope your recovery continues. I appreciate your cheering and kind words and feel better knowing you're out there. Thanks.

Maureen
MaureenS is offline   Reply With Quote