HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Chelee

Decadron for just herceptin infusion?

I was curious if anyone that does the weekly herceptin has to take the Decadron the day before, of and after like with normal chemo's? Most say no....but I have had a couple people tell me yes. So which is it?

I would think it would NOT be necessary with just herceptin? But I really don't know. Any opinions or personal experiences with this. I understand the tylenol and benedryl as a pre-med when you go get your herceptin...but that's about it.

Chelee
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Sue2001

I had weekly Herceptin and did not take Decadron. I was given Benadryl with the first infusion of Herceptin, which was a double dose, but from then on I didn't receive any pre or post infusion meds -- and didn't need them.

Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
DeborahNC

I don't take any pre-meds with my every 3 week Herceptin. After my 4th Taxol/Herceptin they dropped the Benadryl (I kept having allergic reaction to it, of all things) and cut the Decadron to 10mg. Even with my Herceptin between chemo I never had pre-meds and have never had a bad reaction to it.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Lee

No pre-meds here.

I recently finished 6 mos of chemo plus herceptin, and on the weeks I had herceptin only (every 4th treatment), I didn't get any pre-meds. I'm starting every-three-week herceptin on Thursday and my onc said I won't need pre-meds for that either.

I'm glad, I hate getting them. The Benadryl knocks me out and the decadron made it impossible for me to sleep that night, plus made me want to eat all the time.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Helen

I am getting weekly Herceptin without decadron. When I was getting chemo, I took it day before, on the day and day after the chemo.

Helen
  • Recurrence on the same liver spot in 7/07
  • Liver resection 9/07
  • Tykerb/xeloda 10/22/07
  • NED since 9/07 and continued Tykerb/xeloda
  • PET/CT in May 2009 show small spot in lungs. Continued Tykerb/xeloda
  • PET/CT in Aug 2009 shows progression on lung nodules (slightly bigger)
  • Onc considering Taxol/avastin
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
sherri

No decadron

It's about a year and I'm taking Herceptin every 3 weeks with no other medications.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Maggie

I started Herceptin every 3 weeks in November for a year. I got premeds when I started but not anymore.
I believe in the beginning, Tylenol and Benadryl are the standard protocol for Herceptin.

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Blondey

My oncologist does not give me Decadron any more now that I have been receiving Herceptin alone. She did give it to me when I was receiving Taxol and Herceptin.
Blondey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
michele u

I did not do any premeds with herceptin either. The problem is that, if it is a standing order they will automatically give it to you, so you need to speak up and ask what they are giving you. Most chemo nurses would tell you, but not all remember to do it.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
Chelee

I had my weekly herceptin this last Monday since I posted my question to you guys. And I sure APPRECIATE each and everyone of you that replied. It seems to be the first loading dose they do with herceptin...but after that there is no need basically.

Since I just had my weekly herceptin I asked my infusion nurse. She said what you all did here. Its not necessary with just the herceptin. When I had a few people off another board say you need to take it...I got concerned because I WASN'T doing that for my weekly herceptin. Now I feel better about it.

I had nothing with my herceptin this week...well I did take two tylenol when I was done. I stood up and all of a sudden had the WORSE headache. But I was fine...no big deal. Maybe I stood up too fast. Thanks everyone for helping me out here.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote