HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Raz

Diagnosed this month

So glad I found this forum. I have great support at home but searching for outside support from other diagnosed with bc. I am the healthiest I have ever been. i workout, eat right, and get yearly mammos. This really sucks!

First I was really sad and now I am really mad..
I am 48 and I was diagnosed with stage 1 HER 2 positive over expressed with invasive and in situ grade 3. Not sure how to explain the diagnosis.
I have a lumpectomy scheduled for 10/3/12. Chemo starts 1month for 6 months. Then radiation one month after chemo.
This is so much to wrap my head around so fast considering I feel so healthy.
Any suggestions out there?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Paty

Re: Diagnosed this month

Dear Raz,

Welcome to the board! This is a very special site where you will find support, knowledge and many 'sisters' that will help you through your path on bc. All of us here have lived that journey. Please feel free to ask any questions should you have any doubts. Now that you are going to start with chemos, try to drink many fruit and vegetable juices. Please let us know ow you are feeling and how things develop. Welcome again.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Welcome Raz,

So glad you found it early at stage 1. You did everything you could to stay healthy. If you had not - the diagnosis could have been much more advanced.

Have you considered a clinical trial for treatment?

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/result...&Search=Search

Have you considered a second opinion? I would expect the recommendation would be similar for lumpectomy and radiation. But 6 months of chemo for stage I seems aggressive.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Raz

Thanks for quick responses. It feels good when people respond.
I did get a second opinion and it was the same. The tumor is aggressive.
Grade 3 and 7 on Nottingham scale. Staining is strong. Not sure what staining is?

I am starting to drink more veggie and fruit juicing type diet in preparation for chemo.
I'm starting to get a little freaked out about the lumpectomy. I have never been under general. Kind of scary. Hot flashes aren't helping.
Crazy stuff.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
BonnieR

It is "crazy stuff", all of it! Good to be mad, gets one motivated and in fighting mode!
You have caught things in the early stage, got a second opinion and seem to have your ducks in a row. I recall my surgeon telling me "it might be small, but it is aggressive"
you are entitled to be scared . Does you treatment facility offer groups or a therapist you can see? Ask for a mild tranquilizer if you want. I found Ativan helped me get through scary times
Take advantage of any programs that are available to you. And speak up. You are your own best advocate.
We are here for you
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Zingy

Hi Raz,

It's a shame to be saying "hi" here but here we all are and although I'm new too there's a lot of information and support available. I was diagnosed in June this year aged 42, recently had my 43rd birthday. You're right, the diagnosis sucks and it can be scary. I've had R mastectomy and just done my first chemo (FEC) last week. I was fit, healthy and full of energy before this and it has made me feel like a different person sometimes. All I can offer is that the science behind our treatment is getting better all the time, catching this early and taking hard, positive action makes a difference and it's ok to be however you need to be about it - angry, sad, determined - we're all different and we all find our way through by trial and error. One thing I would say is try not to dwell on statistics, they can paint a picture that's hard to swallow when you're first facing this and we're people, not numbers.
You're in my thoughts.

Zingy <3 x

IDC T1N0 stage 1c, ER weakly positive, grade 3, HER2+++
Diagnosed 12 June 2012, RMX 1st Aug 2012 immediate reconstruction with ADM and silicon implant.
Starting FEC-T + H Sept 2012, 3x FEC, 3 x T+H
Persephone trial (Warwick university, Cancer Research UK & Cambridge University) 6 or 12 months H
Zingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
carlatte7

Welcome- there is so much support for you here, and answers to questions big and small. HER2 is a scary beast- i was healthy and a careful checker, yet my lump was almost 3 cm before i felt it, and i had a+ node. You will have good days and bad days, but I'll bet it won't be as bad as you are imagining. You will find strength you did not know you had, and will soon be looking back at all of this. Best of luck to you.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
snolan

Welcome to the club. I too was Stage 1 and B mastectomy w chemo and radiation. My advice is just take each proceedure one at a time. It is a long journey and gets to over whelming if you worry about the whole thing. breaking it down into each proceedure will allow you to stay focused and strong and it feels great to check off each one as you finish. Good luck!
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
suzan w

Hi Raz! This is a great support network! I have been relying on the friends here for 7 years now and there is nothing I would not put out there as a question or concern!!! Most of the questions that you have, I can assure you, we have all had at one time or another, so ask away!!! The first months are the scariest as it is all new. With time it becomes your "new" you!!! New and improved because you are continuing to take good care of yourself by reaching out and learning as much as you can about this dreadful dis-ease. Knowledge is power!!! Welcome!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Joanne S

Exclamation Re: Diagnosed this month

Hello Raz, I am sorry to say Welcome, but welcome. Receiving a cancer diagnosis is one of the worse things that ever happened to me. It wasn't the cancer, it was the emotional shock. I think the traumatic impact it has on our emotions is the worse part. And it usually occupies our mind constantly at first. You are in a great place here. We're all different but share a close bond with each other and continue to support each other from time of diagnosis and every step of the way---through each treatment, diagnositic procedure, side effects, coping, sharing and living. It's best to educate yourself as much as you can so you understand what's going on and all your available options. I found this following video easy to understand, and helpful in my initial stages of diagnosis.
National Breast Cancer Foundation, BEYOND THE SHOCK http://beyondtheshock.com/?gclid=CLO...FYQ7Mgod1igAyA
Although this is an long video, it is divided into separate chapters so that you don't have to watch it all at one time. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Welcome!
hugs,
Joanne
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 10-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: ADD LINK
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Mary Jo

Hello Raz,

First let me say that I am sorry your journey has breast cancer as part of what you will go through. Scared is normal and mad is too. You've done all you could, but sadly, some things are out of our control.

You've come to a great place. Her2support is full of wonderful, caring, knowledgeable and loving people. You will be prayed for, supported by getting your questions, hugged and loved on. Everyone here gets it because we've all been where you are.

Now on a positive note. I was diagnosed at age 45 with stage 2B, her2 positive breast cancer. (See my signature below). I am now a 7 year NED (no evidence of disease) survivor.

We're here for you. Praying Gods peace surround you.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
'lizbeth

Hey Raz,

So happy that you got a second opinion.

I drove my doctors crazy trying to get out of chemo - I was diagnosed at age 44, Stage 2b, 3 positive nodes, Her2+++, ER-, PR- with Paget's of the nipple and IDC.

I'd forgotten about that scale - I was a 9 of 9.

Still I the standard of care: 6 treatments of Taxotere which they administer every 3 weeks, so that's 4 1/2 months - and I was more advanced.

So perhaps I should have asked what chemo you are doing - as I'd be curious what the current recommendation is for early breast cancer.

I would have loved to be in your shoes and had the chance to enroll in a clinical trial with only targeted therapies and no taxanes, platinum salts or adriamycin.

Well I'm sure any little cancer cells are going to get knocked out fast and hard. And will not want to come back for sure!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Pray

Raz and Zingy, Welcome, I hope you both feel comfortable coming here and sharing often. Please know that you are both in my prayers. Gods blessings to you and your families.

Peace my friends,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Raz

Wow!
It felt so good to log on and to read all the support.
So tomorrow I get the dye injected and Wednesday is my lumpectomy.
I will take all your support with me.
I am with kaiser not a clinical trial. They have been great.
The chemo is a combo called TCH with hercepten hormone to follow.
I guess I am off the margarita cocktails and on the chemo cocktail this coming November. Thanks again ladies. I will sleep better tonight.
Raz

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Zingy

Thank you kind, wonderful folks for your support. I'm in the UK and we don't have a forum like this. I'm so glad I found you all.

Zingy <3 x

IDC T1N0 stage 1c, ER weakly positive, grade 3, HER2+++
Diagnosed 12 June 2012, RMX 1st Aug 2012 immediate reconstruction with ADM and silicon implant.
Starting FEC-T + H Sept 2012, 3x FEC, 3 x T+H
Persephone trial (Warwick university, Cancer Research UK & Cambridge University) 6 or 12 months H
Zingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
mschwab

Hi Raz,

I am so sorry that you had to join this club of brave and wonderful women, but you"ll be glad that you found your way to this site. There is so much love and support here, and a community of peers that can understand what you're going through like no one else can. I too received my care at Kaiser, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about my experience. The coordination of care was unbelievable and made the whole treatment experience so much easier to get through. You are in a wonderful place, and you will be well cared for.

Maryann
June 22, 2011 - Drain out. Yay!
July 7, 2011 - Start chemo. 4x A/C, 12x weekly Taxol/Herceptin, Herceptin 1 year
June 28, 2011 - Port installed
July 14, 2011 - Ultrasound for mass on thyroid.
July 22, 2011 - Biopsy on thyroid mass. Results: inconclusive. Another biopsy scheduled in a couple of months.
September 8, 2011 - A/C chemo done. On to Taxol/Herceptin.
October 19, 2011 - 2nd biopsy of thyroid mass. Benign. Yipee!
December 16, 2011 - Final chemo!!!
January 11, 2012 - Started 33 rads
February 24, 2012 - Finished rads! Herceptin only now.
September 26, 2012 - Finished Herceptin.

www.CaringBridge.org/maryannschwab/visit
mschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Raz

I made it through the lumpectomy. I am on Norco now. This was my first surgery so I was not so good coming off the morphine. Good nurses at kaiser.
My home team is awesome making sure I take my pills.
Now just waiting for lymph node biopsy.
Another waiting game.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
pwiswell

Raz and Ziggy- you are both in my prayers. I too am new to this forum, but not new to the cancer scene. I'm sure you will both do well with the current treatment options. Herceptin has proven to be beneficial. It kept my mets at bay for three years before it stopped working. I am now on another drug that is keeping it under control. You will both be fine and you are in the right place for support. I have only been around here for a few weeks and I have already learned so much. Keep the faith. I recently had the opportunity to listen to an inspirational speech by a couple of ladies who run the "Trust Your Journey" site. I have a T-shirt of theirs that says "If you can change for thoughts, you can change your world." Stay positive and treat every day like a new beginning.
pwiswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
Raz

Got my results. No cancer in my lymph nodes. Woo hoo!

However my treatment changed from chemo and radiation to just radiation

Seems odd.
Did anyone's treatment plan change post lumectomy?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
'lizbeth

Raz,

I checked the NCCN guidelines for breast cancer. Since you are lucky to have discovered Stage I cancer before it spread to the nodes the standard of care is radiation only, unless you fall into a high genetic/familial risk.

Have you done the genetic testing for BRCA 1, BRCA2 or BART?

Early stage - I would expect some studies or current clinical trials on Herceptin. You might want to explore more information on that.

Additional treatments: