HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
kvogler

Chemo again?

Just wondering and can't get it out of my mind until my next appointment with my oncologist.......at the beginning of my cancer journey my oncologist had said "Chemo first to shrink and prevent spreading, surgery, radiation for sure, and possibly more chemo at the end, followed by herceptin alone. Okay, had 6 rounds of chemo up front with herceptin which shrink the tumor so well that it showed no activiy on a PET scan and I could have had a lumpectomy, but I chose a masectomy instead. Just had the surgery a week ago and I'm recovering preparing for the weeks of radiation. But I wonder since I responded so well to the chemo will I need any more chemo? My oncologist will tell me eventually, but what do you guys think? Anyone ever had a similar experience? I'll do what I have to but I so hope I don't have to have more chemo since it responded.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
sarah

Re: Chemo again?

My guess would be that you will not do more chemo but will get Herceptin, radiation and if you're ER+ an anti-hormonal.
good luck with your journey.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
roz123

i had chemo before surgery aswell. What chemo did you have prior to surgery? if you have the full course -6 TCH or ACT-H or FEC-D (like a/c) then you will not get any more chemo after. I have seen where they break up a full course but from my understanding of neoadjuvant they give you the entire treatment up front. I have seen some ladies on clinical trial who do the trial part first, surgery and then standard of care chemo
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
kvogler

I get confused with the abbreviations for chemo. I had docetaxel, carboplatin given with Herceptin is this TCH? I'm not in a clinical trial so I'm really hoping I got the entire treatment up front. I did well with chemo but it got harder the further in I got (fatigue and one fainting spell with last dose) and I started chemo up front when I felt healthier. Now after surgery, I'm getting worn down a bit. Chemo will be harder now.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
'lizbeth

Yes you did TCH. Drugs have two names, docetaxel is also Taxotere, which the the T.

If you just have the year of Herceptin it will get easier. The Taxotere really kicked my patooty too.

Let us know what the report & doctors say.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
sarah

Herceptin is a breeze not like "real" chemo which is exhausting, etc.
You may be a little tired after the session and may be have some skin problems but you won't lose your hair and you will be able to function in a normal way. I drove myself 45 minutes to and from my Herceptin treatments on a highway and I did it every 3 weeks for 6 years; I certainly would not have been able to drive on a highway after my chemo which was Taxol. Herceptin is a miracle drug for us with HER2. We are all lucky to have it. Thank you Dr. Slamon!
Herceptin isn't considered a chemo, it has another name. So take a deep breath, you won't be doing chemo again, so life will get back to normal. You will have to have periodic heart function scans while you're on Herceptin but that's easy also. You might want to search the forum for posts about a supplement: co-enzyme Q10 which some people take to help with heart issues. It's apparently good for many things. I take it but everyone must make their own decisions along with their doctor's advice.
take care
health and happiness
sarah

Last edited by sarah; 12-08-2012 at 06:00 AM..
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
kvogler

Yes, I've been taking Coenzyme Q10 also. In fact, I've heard it suggested for people just on cholesterol meds.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
sarah

Hope your EF bounces up soon. Good to know about its effect on cholesterol meds.
take care
sarah
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
twosenuf99

Hi I had chemo before surgery then more chemo then radiation then herceptin. I also responded well to the first chemo. When they did my mastectomy I had no tumors, or cancer cells left at all but still did the rest of the treatment. Doctor said since my cancer was as aggressive as it was that was her standard treatment plan. Good luck.
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
norkdo

i just want to give you props. Well done on choosing the mastectomy over the lumpectomy. I grew up with a mom who had a mastectomy in 1975. She hated hated hated that she had a mastectomy instead of the lumpectomy that came into fashion a few yrs later. She was mad at the loss of her breast when she learned that women could just have a lump removed instead of the whole breast.

However, my own experience (dx'd at stage three, instead of the stage one or so my mom was dx'd at...) is that my mom god love her (she lived another thirty one years to the age of eighty six after her mastectomy) was wrong.

Survival, prevention of recurrance, survival, prevention of recurrance, survival.

Say it with me!!!!!!! I had my mom for the rest of her natural life til she died an old lady!!

If ANYBODY offered me a lumpectomy (had i been dx'd earlier than stage three) despite my mom's moaning for thirty years about the loss of her breast, I'd have tossed them across the room. "TAKE IT OFF! TAKE THE BLOODY BREAST OFF!" In fact I elected to have the other, healthy breast off, in the vain efforts of recon, which I still have hope in, once the botched attempt at reconstruction heals.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote