HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Joni

Unhappy Herceptin and Heartburn

Hi All,
Having some heartburn (rarely get) tonight. Am in my 5th treatment of Herceptin along with Taxotere. Receiving both weekly for 3 weeks and the 4th week off. Is this something that I should expect from Herceptin? Anyone else? I see my onc on Mar. 3rd, so will ask, but interested to know your findings.
Thanks,
joni
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
karenann

I had heart burn with my last treatment (herceptin only). I just had a treatment yesterday...hope I don't get heartburn this time.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
newgg

Had heartburn with taxatere....none so far with herceptin. Just those "crusties" in my dear little nose !!!
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Joni

Thanks Karen and newgg,
I had a nice big green salad with lots of ruffage and thought that maybe did it...then started thinking about the drugs Herceptin and Taxotere. Could have been either I suppose. I will not panic should it happen again. As for the nose, my ENT doc says I have pollups (sp) so as I never experienced that before I guess it is just another of the "blessings" that comes with the "cure".
Thanks and have a great day Ladies,

joni
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
StephN

Wink Acid blocker with Taxotere

Hi
Hope you are feeling better. As with any hard care chemo, you should be taking some brand of stomach acid blocker.
The chemos kill the fast dividing cells and these kinds of cells make up the lining of our mouth, esophogus, stomach and intestines. You do not have the normal protection of these cells when on a rough chemo like Taxotere.
Heartburn would be a normal side effect.

Herceptin does NOT go after these same cells at all, so should NOT be the source of your disgestive upsets.

If you are taking Decadron as a premed with the Taxotere (also the usual thing) you would also be affected by that drug.

If you do not have a prescription from your doc, than get the over-the-counter version.

I also was never bothered by heartburn or digestive problems until I had chemo. But took the acid blockers faithfully and had some problems anyway. Was able to quite those about a month after getting off the chemos. ALso, avoid acidic juices and spicy foods during chemo - that should help as well.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
SandyBB

Weekly Herceptin gives me heartburn

I have to take Zantac pretty regularly. I realized how often I had had it only when I stopped Herceptin for 4 weeks due to a low MUGA score and I never had the heartburn.... the minute I went back on Herceptin - bam! there was the heartburn...I don't think I phrased that right - but hopefully you get the point!!!
SandyBB is offline   Reply With Quote