HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Michelle

BC epidemic(Are women's health concerns still ignored)

Ok, this is not very nice, but don't you think if 1 in 7 men were getting prostate cancer there would be more hoopla? I truly don't think people are really seeing this as the epidemic it really is. It seems the women are getting younger and younger too.
Let me be honest enough to tell you, I knew nothing about breast cancer at 33 last yr. Unfortunately , all that has changed. I was truly shocked to find out 1 in 7 women would recieve a BC dx. in thier lifetime , and that being young at dx was really not all that uncommon. The media , and medical professional's sure lead you to believe it is.
Also, during Breast cancer month you hear much talk of survivors, but very little of the women living day to day with Stage 4. I have heard several times-you'll be fine my (friend, Aunt , relative) has survived 20yrs. Well, do these people realize the different types of bc and how they affect prognosis?
My question is don't you think the education we are recieving in the Media should be more informative? I still read articles that say young women really should not worry. If you ask most women they will believe if they have no family history they are fine.
Personally, I wish I had been better educated. I believe because BC has become such an epidemic our young girls should even be educated about it in sex ed. Maybe Im just ranting here, but several conversations I've had lately bring me back to how little I knew a yr. ago, and how much more I should have been educated on something that will affect many of the women in our lives.
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
lu ann

When I was diagnosed 15 years ago at age 35 I was considered an anomaly. Now I see more and more women in their 20's having this disease. I was told that daughters of pre-menapausal breast cancer patients get diagnosed with the disease 7 years before their mothers. My mom was 42 when she was diagnosed and if the trend follows my daughters would be 28. My oldest daughter will be turning 22 on her next birthday. I am concerned, but I'm not ready to ask my daughters to have profilactic mastectomies. I have taught them to be more diligent with self breast exams. They probably have more of a chance getting in a car accident then getting cancer. Do I ask them to stop riding in a car? No, but I do remind them to wear their seatbelt, don't ride or drive with someone who has been drinking, and folllow traffic rules. That's all we can do in this life. I was told 15 years ago that early detection was the key to my survival of this disease, but I was diagnosed with a reccurrance anyway. So far I have survived and I am very thankful to have the next 3 months free from chemo treatments. Love and Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

bc awareness

Women should be more aware. However, I also think that it is very natural for many people who haven't yet been diagnosed to be in a state of denial -- especially those who are overall generally healthy. I am part of the health care system and yet I certainly was not "listening" when I should have been.

And that is why I agree that it should be an integrated part of early education and not just something "on the news".

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
Lisa

Yes, women AND men should be more educated about BC. But, think about it. Before your diagnosis, would you have really wanted to read or learn much about BC. Especially in your 20's, 30's or younger. Hey, I always skipped the chapters on Menopause because it was so far away. Until I got BC and jumped right into it.

I used to work at a cancer research center. I worked with Susan Komen and other organization who helped educate the pubic. I have been very pleased to see just how much more information is out there now, compared with 6 or 7 years ago. It's not perfect, but it's becoming much more recognized.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Unregistered

I agree the figures are frightening, and given cancer in general terms takes a long time to develop, how much rate increase is already in the process of creation. How long before governemnts put in the necessary funds to start really trying to tie down and agree some basic causative factors. It is only human nature that the drugs companies will not fund this work, until they find a way of making money out of healthy people. (Drugs companies have done some exellent work, and our society demands and measures them in large part by profit - it is just the way it is)

I totally agree that there should be a great deal more education.

I am sure things are improving, but know from my own experience how time consuming it has been to source and try and amass even a very basic understanding.

I think basic human biology, common diseases, diet, (which would include education as to how things such as pesticides, plastics etc can effect us, which would include fats etc.) would be a very useful compulsory subject to be taught in schools, and probably of a great deal more use in later life than many subjects taught.

RB