HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Ragini

Angry Anybody with Experience of Doxil or Abraxane?

After a whole lot of soul-searching, finally decided to go with single agent Doxil as my next line of treatment. I've already been through AC+T, Herceptin, Navelbine, Xeloda, various rounds of radiation, a craniotomy followed by radiation, Tarceva, Gemzar + Cisplatin, Tykerb, and Taxotere. I never got a break in all this of more than 3 months before the disease started progressing again. Now, we're back to square one with an anthracycline. *@!&*@!?£*&!!!!!

Anybody out there with experience of single agent Doxil after being heavily pre-treated? What are the side effects?

Is there anyone who has gone on Abraxane after having previously done Taxotere? Was there a response?

Prayers and best wishes to all of you
Ragini
Ragini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
kareneg

Wink

Hi.

I have just recenltly been on doxil and had great response. my CA27-29 went fron 282 to 69. But unfortunaly I had to start onther treatment yesterday it seems that three tumours were acting up everything else stayed stable, lymphnods and the many other tumours I have in my liver. I was on doxil for almost six months so I will pray that it works well on you and you have a long run with it! We are all different so here's to the doxil being the right one for you. Please keep us updated on your progress.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Shell

Ragini-

I'm thinking I'm as heavily pre-treated as you!! I did not do well on doxil, but everyone is different... I have been doing well on abraxane after progressing on taxotere, so don't be hesitant about trying a re-formulated taxane... Best of luck with your choices...

Regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Lolly

Ragini, I'm on weekly Abraxane with Tykerb and responding well to the combo, but it's been 7 years since I had Taxol as adjuvant for tx of primary.
I'm finding Abraxane much, much easier than Taxol as far as the neuropathy. My hair did thin to the point that I had my husband shave it. I have to have Zofran as a pre-med for naseau, and don't usually need additional meds later in the week unless I eat something too spicey or fried.
Hope this helps.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
lu ann

I was about to start the tykerb trial when it was realized I did not have an anthrecycline chemo. This was one of the prerequisites of the trial. Since I did not want to take adriamyacine I was given doxil. It was very tollerable. No hair loss, no nauseau or vomiting. I'm not sure if I had progression on doxil, but I had to stop and had more radiation for my brain and spine.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Vanessa

I have been on taxotere for 9 months out of the last 13-1/2 months and the way my dr. talks abraxane will be my next treatment of choice. One of my chemo buddies is taking abraxane and avastin together and is tolerating well. She says she keeps waking up thinking she is going to experience bad sad effects and has had minimal side effects at this point. I can tell she feels better than before. I don't know anything about doxil, but I hope that your next round of treatment is very successful. You are in my prayers.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Shell

Ragini-

if you do the doxil, be sure the co. gets you the packet with the creams, and ice packs and everything - I firmly believe they should take all options in the infusion room to lessen your side effects one you're through for the day!! Good luck with it,,,and watch the sun!!

Kind regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06