HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #1

I asked a question earlier, but it got off track a little. I found a small pea-size lump on the right side of my neck, about three fingers in distance (using index-middle-ring) up from my collarbone. I showed it to my surgeon (am 1 yr. out of treatment) and he made light of it and said that it was a lymph node, but very small, and that the cancer wouldn't move in that direction. Now two months later, it hasn't changed in size, but it's still there and causing me sleepless nights (when you've had cancer, you see these things much differently). I went online and read in the doctorsloung.net that a "next step" would be a CT scan of the head and neck and that "a biopsy of the node is only done as a very last resort as it has serious drawbacks on therapy if it does turn out to be cancer." Any experiences, comments, etc.? I really, REALLY appreciate your words of advice. Thanks, Jojo, for speaking on it earlier.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
*_Julie_*

I felt swollen lymph nodes just at the same place as you described. I got it checked with my oncologist and he didn't care much about it and said it may be due to the sinus or some thing. He said CT scan does not help. After two months it is still like that not growing and don't really know the answer what to do. I am on a year of Herceptin since March.

Julie
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Mickey

I would get the CAT even if it means faking an ache elsewhere in your body.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #4

When I recurred to supraclavicular nodes last year, they sent me to biopsy right away. But my nurse practitioner warned me that the lump could be a reaction to some kind of sinus or virus. I was hoping for that; unfortunately it was tested positive for cancer.

Then they gave 2 choices: since I couldn't eradiate the lump (already had radiation earlier), 1) have it taken out by surgery & be watched by an occasional CT scan, or 2) leave the lump in there, frequent a physical exam as often as every month & be monitored on the effectiveness of treatment (should the lump increase in size, we alter my treatment).

When I went in for a 2nd opinion on the node, they had the opposite recommendation to my current clinic. The 2nd opinion believed that a biopsy (even just a FNA) could cause it's size by just an inflammation. They also thought that the inflammation from a biopsy could mislead us on it's tumor markers. I didn't ask, though, what they thought about removing the lump completely. (Maybe I did ask, but don't seem to recall.)

My current clinic thinks that a biopsy was not harmful, but they do believe that the lump removal could spread cancer furthermore.

I just chose the 2nd selection & my FNA confirmed that the node was cancerous. My hormonal therapy & Herceptin together have been trying to keep my dang disease under control.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
jojo

I forgot my own name! :-) E.O.M.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
jojo

I forgot my own name! :-) E.O.M.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #7

Gosh, you've all given me so much good advice and a lot to think on. I e-mailed my onc. today and will see how she wants to proceed. One of you said a CT is useful and one said it isn't. I still don't know how a CT scan could tell if it was cancerous - seems like only a biopsy could do that, but what do I know. I'm going to a zen meditation tonight and hope to keep myself calm through all of this. Thanks, friends.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
Sheila

I felt a lump in my neck above the collarbone 1 1/2 years after original diagnosis. I was going through reconstruction at the time so the Dr. felt it could be just an inflammed lymph node. I went to a surgeon, had it removed and it was the breast cancer....odd since my original mastectomy, all nodes were neg. Anyway, I started on Herceptin, have been on Herceptin only for almost 3 years. About 8 months ago, another lump popped up in the same area. My onc. does not want it removed, she monitors it every 3 weeks and if it changes, she will add Xeloda to the Herceptin. None of mine have ever shown up on CT scans....and I have had several, every 6 mos. I guess we never know what the right decision is...so far I have not had any problems and the lump is stable.
Hope this helps
Sheila
Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Lolly

I've had mixed results with CT scans; sometimes the enlarged nodes that can be felt show up, sometimes not. I had a PET last year after a CT didn't show any abnormalitys, and they showed on the PET...neck, supraclavicular and underarm axilla. I'm going for another PET tomorrow as I've been worried about enlarged nodes in the axilla again. If the PET shows some activity we'll also do a CT and they'll compare the two. The old fashioned way of having a PET/CT fusion!

To Guest: the nodes in my neck are in the same area you describe and felt exactly the way you say; pea-sized and hard, like peppercorns. I did have a larger one at the base of my neck biopsied by partial excision(I asked to have it completely removed but the surgeon ended up just doing the partial excision as it was too close to nerves and veins, and he thought complications were too risky). Since then, I've realized that systemic disease is not going to be eradicated by taking out a node here and there, and they do serve a purpose for monitering treatment, and deciding whether to do scans again.

So, hope this helps a bit more, and sorry about not responding to your earlier post, somehow I missed it : \

<3
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
jojo

Sheila & Lolly --

What is the size of your lump, Sheila? My oncologist will give me Xeloda, too, should my supra node increase in size. She'll let me keep Herceptin, however she'll stop my hormonal therapy altogether. I'm hoping that I won't need Xeloda anytime in the future! Chemo does affect the quality of life with all nasty side effects. Yuck! :-(

I've had both PET & CT scans (but not yet the new kind of CT / PET fusion). Sometimes CT scans don't pick up my node, only because techicians simply don't take pictures of the node. The PET usually covers from head to toe. Lolly, I wonder if that was the reason for picking up your nodes?...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Kristen

Lolly and jojo,
I am confused, I thought the PET/CT fusion was relatively new? Lolly says to have the PET and then the CT and jojo is like me thinking it's new. So, what is it? I have read up on this and thought it was a good indicator, not fool proof for cancer patients as it combines the two and can see both views and then if anything is not looking good, they can concentrate on that area with other scans? Is that correct? I know it is not good for the brain but on the site I was looking on it was good for the jaw and nodes down to your feet. If I am wrong, can you please tell me if this is not a good scan to have? and why? I would appreciate it. Thanks for all your help. You ladies are terrific. TC. K
Old 08-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #12

JoJo and Kristen
My node is about the size of a small peanut (shelled of course). From, what I've heard, Xeloda (pill form of 5FU) is not that bad to take, mostly hand and foot problems, no hair loss or nausea. As far as the Pet CT, that seems to be the latest and greatest and seems to show more from what I've heard...it is used to compare to a PET and regular CT...and is substantially more expensive. Many insurance companies will not pay for it as it is so new. By the way JoJo, I am ER PR neg, so I have never been on anything but Herceptin.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 AM   #13
Kristen

Hi Shelia,
See I have heard that it is less expensive because it only takes 30 minutes vs 60-90 minutes. I went to the goggle search engine and looked up PET/CT Fusion Scans in Kansas City and the 3rd on down came up with names you could look under and I went to the Kansas City Cancer Center and I thought there it said it was less expensive also. I will recheck it. I did read in another site that because it's so new that a lot of radiologists don't know what to put it under. I will have to call my insurance company and see if they have a code for it.
Thanks for the insight,
Sorry Guest
that I interuperted your question. Best of luck on your scan, but I do think this scan maybe a good one for the neck and jaw area. TC K
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
Lolly

Yes, the PET/CT is the newest and supposed to be better than either a PET or CT by themselves, but the reason I had to have the PET and not the PET/CT is because it's SO new my clinic isn't contracted with the company that does the scan, so it's an insurance issue for me. I don't know whether it's more expensive for the fusion, but they do like to have something to compare it to, and in my case they're going to compare this PET to the one I had last spring plus the CT scan I had in December.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Mikel

Question Re: Lymph node in neck

Hi im new. Far as know nvr had cancer. I just went to doctor due to a lymph node on left side of neck thats kinda large. Bigger then a pea. I have had problems with it for the past year doctors said then that it was not swollen. One on right side is slightly larger as well. Doctor said today that the left one was bigger but it was soft and moveable. I have been sick past 5 days with with something nasty like sinus infection and cold. Doc said she thinks its caused by infection not cancer. Gave me antibiotics for ten days to see if node goes down. Im just scared node wont go down and if it dont they will then biopsy it. Over a year i feel my nodes daily no change. Only when i got sick 5 days ago did i notice it has gotton very swollen. I have some bad teeth as well. There is no pain. When i touch it in a certian area there is a slight soreness to the node. Does this sound like cancer? Or bad infection? Im very scared!! Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Becky

Re: Lymph node in neck

Dear Mike

Prior to having breast cancer, I too had a swollen node. When you have something like that, you touch it all the time. Now that you are on antibiotics, DON'T TOUCH it at all. Refrain, refrain, refrain. Don't touch it until you are completely done with the antibiotics. Also, make sure you take care of your teeth. At least brush, floss and rinse (with Listerine). If you have gum disease, the bacteria will also prompt the lymph nodes to swell as they are trying to fight a chronic infection there. The antibiotics may help with the infection in your mouth too (if you have one).

One step at a time, and don't worry too much. See what happens in the next 2 weeks and see if the node gets smaller with this medicine. Don't Touch!!!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Mikel

Question Re: Lymph node in neck

Hi Becky.

Was your lymph node enlarged due to brest cancer? Or was it unrelated to cancer? In a way it feels as if mine went down just a tiny hair. The meds are almost gone and no real reduction in size. Im very scared i was hopeing it would go way down so no biopsy wld be needed!! The doc said it was very soft and moveable. And that cancer would be hard and fixed. One on right side is enlarged as well just not as bad. Its just the two unnder my ear jaw bone. I have not found atleast not yet anyother ones thats bigger! How long does it take to go down after meds? How long shld i wait after meds to do a biopsy? Cause i read it can take weeks to go back to normal. Does it sound like infection to you or cancer? Is the doc correct that cancer would make the node hard and fixed to the skin? She was not too worried cause mine was very soft and moveable. Im just soo soo scared. Its hard to tell if it went down even though i feel it may have went down a tiny hair i cant really tell. I think its the size of a grape. What should i do? Is there any signs to look for that wld show its cancer related? It did not swell like this till i got sick almost two weeks ago. How big can a neck node get just due to infection alone? Thanks in advance. And if we cld chat on phone wld be great cus i need support. I dont mind giveing my # and u can call private thats cool. Thanks becky.