HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
LisaJ

How do you know if Herceptin works?

I feel like I have so many questions. I have recently been diagnosed (Stage IIIA, Her2+++) I am in the midst of AC/Cy and then will start 12 doses of Taxol and Herceptin and then Herceptin for the rest of the year. I have read a couple posts that say Herceptin doesn't work on everyone. How will I know if it works for me?
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

You may ask your oncologist his opinion of the Bayer Serum Test and if he feels it will be useful in monitoring your status.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
kristen

Lisa,

You will know. Have faith that it will. Herceptin works on the majority of the people.
You are getting Herceptin as a first line of defense where as some of these women it was not available to them from the start. Herceptin was orginally only given to met patients.
I think w/all the data that is coming out, you should feel reassured that you will be in the majority of women who don't met. That it cut your chances in 1/2 that it will not come back as far out as the study is. Easier said then done. This is a scary journey no matter if your her2 or otherwise. The hardest thing for me was to trust my body again because it didn't tell me it was sick in the first place. But in time you will trust it and listen to it and if anything doesn't feel right let them know ASAP. The rule of thumb is if it hurts longer then 2 weeks you should contact your onc. or pcp. Right now your in treatment and with me, my onc wanted to know at every visit if anything hurt, she did physicals and I am sure you are getting blood work done. Those will help them identify if something isn't working, that and you. You have to be your own best advocate. I am 2 years out and NED. I feel very forturnte to have been part of this study and getting the Herceptin arm.
This disease will change your life, your outlook and the way you care for your body.
It's a mind game and one that can consume your thoughts or you can say, I have done everything I can to discourage this from coming back and know in your heart that is all you can do and then give it up to God and let it go. That is/was the hardest part for me. I have had to go back in for a nodule they found on my sternum and it is fat necrosis. But I found it, told my onc and we did an MRI of the breast. When you find something, the waiting is horrible and then you hear the all clear sign and you feel great. It gives you peace of mind. Hang in there. It's a tough haul, but doable. This board is great for listening and supporting and getting you information if anything does come up. This board is a plethura, a place of information from these women and men that are undoubtably the most informed people I know. My best to you.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
LisaJ

Thank you

Thank you so much for the messages. Kristen, I cried when I read your response. It gives me so much confidence and hope. I am going to take every bit of your advice. It is so valuable. Thank you. Thank you! You don't know how much this helped!
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote