HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Joanne S

Exclamation Fruit Vegetable Juice Smoothies for your health.

I highly recommend juice smoothies for everyone who wants to eat healthier and consume more nutrients. Ever since I purchased a VitaMix 6 months ago, I use it 1 to 3 times everyday. I absolutely love it!!! I eat much healthier now than ever---I know I could never eat this many fruits, vegetables daily without my juicer. The juice smoothie is very refreshing and I feel better too.

This morning I made a smoothie using : banana, apricot, apple, frozen blueberries, baby spinach, broccoli including stems, carrots, cabbage, tomato and water. No - it doesn’t sound very appetizing, but surprisingly- it really is. I try to use organic foods as much as possible. Every time I make a smoothie, I use different ingredients. One of my desert favorites is simply: apple, pear, pineapple, cottage cheese, cinnamon and water. Yummy!

I have even made pure vegetable smoothies and used them as a soup base with beans or rice or meat/chicken. You can add just about anything to your recipes; for example, Boost, Ensure, Protein Powder, Almond Milk, Cocoa Powder, Hemp Seed, Flax seed, Hemp Oil, Olive Oil, cheese, nuts, seeds, spices, cooked rice, cooked beans, and even cooked meat. Avocados are the only thing I’ve tried that did not work well for juice. So I'll stick to using them in salads and guacamole.
You can even make sherbet, ice cream, soup, daquiries, peanut butter….in the Vitamix. The more you use it, the more you realize what combinations of fruits/vegetables go together well and which taste better to you. And an extra bonus is, the clean-up is easy with the Vitamix. Using only fruits is not recommended ---too much sugar, but lots of green vegetables are highly recommended. Here are a few video examples:

Vitamix and Blentec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxH1weVf-0

Vitamix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Qq6YcCk8o

Ninja Mega Kitchen System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u3vccUrof8

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-mega-kitchen-system-bl770/cpc/ogviiia/ogviiiabundcpc.shtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium= cpc&utm_campaign=Offer8FreeBookNoFSHBL7701594Pay&u tm_term=%2Bkitchen%20%2Bninja%20%2Bmega&utm_conten t={campaign}

https://www.vitamix.com/Discover-Vit...t-You-Can-Make

NOTE: There are many juicers/smoothie makers available. Some juicers take out all the pulp and fiber so make sure to determine which type you want. And not all of them work as well as others, so I suggest you do your research before deciding on which one to buy. Again, I have the Vitamix that I purchased from QVC for $400. (I wasn't sure if I was going to like it - with QVC I had four easy monthly payments and knew I could return it within 30 days for a refund if I don't like it). My daughter has the Ninja Mega Kitchen System which costs about $175. She purchased at Target, and she is satisfied with it. She thought the Vitamix was a little better than the Mega System, but didn't want to spend more than $200. There are so many different brands available that you can shop for and research online too. Additionally, you can find many juicer reviews and recipes on youtube.com , as well as, customer comments on Amazon.com.

Wondering if you already juice or if you're considering it?
Eat healthy---Hugs, Joanne
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 02-07-2013 at 01:34 AM..
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
IrvineFriend

Re: Fruit Vegetable Juice Smoothies for your health.

Joanne, your timing is perfect! I'm so on the fence beteen the Omego Juicer (Nutrition Center) and the Vitamix. I like the Omega's slow speed cold press so enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants are maintained and for longer storage but not sure I want to give up the pulp and fiber the Vitamix offers. I think I heard that while I'm going through chemo all the fiber might not be such a good idea and go with a juicer to get the nutrients and eat the foods for fiber.

Here is the omega. Both my sisters use it daily and LOVE IT (but one has the Vitamixer as well).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C412

I'd love to have both but want to start somewhere. My diet is 180 degrees better and I want to keep improving my health - we are what we eat!

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Joanne S

Irvine Friend, Good for you! Let me know how you like it. I'd love to get a juicer too so I'll keep the Omega in mind. I wonder what's involved in the clean-up with the Omega. Thanks for sharing, Joanne
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Joanne S

Exclamation Re: Fruit Vegetable Juice Smoothies for your health.

Please be sure to check with your oncologist before changing your diet - especially if you are in treatment.

Juice or smoothies???

Both juicers and blenders are fantastic for different reasons.

When you juice, you drink the liquid nutrients of fruits/vegetables, since the pulp/fiber is left behind it's lighter and less filling than a smoothie. Since juices are cleansing/detoxing, your digestive system gets a break because there are no solids to break down.

Smoothies leave nothing behind – you drink the whole food. Smoothies are more filling than juices, but not as filling as normal meals. While smoothies are easier on your digestion than solid foods, they are not quite as cleansing/detoxing as juices.

If you really feel your digestion needs a cleansing and you want to lots of nutrients, go with a juicer.

If you’re looking to incorporate all of the nutrients and fiber, go with a blender for smoothies.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
ashleybrook05

I love smoothies! Glad to know the beneficial effects of it in our body. Thanks!
ashleybrook05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
sdstarfish

Smoothies are definitely a good thing. I would just recommend putting a higher amount of veggies into the smoothie than fruit. Fruit is good for you in moderation, but remember that it contains much more sugar than most veggies. True, fructose is natural sugar, but it still affects our bodies the same way re: blood sugar level spikes/drops and pH acidity - whereas veggies are alkaline, which is great for keeping cancer away

One thing I add to my smoothies is chlorella powder - just a tablespoon. Chlorella is packed with cancer-fighting nutrients. I also like to use some coconut milk, which gives the smoothie a fluffier texture without adding sugar. And I generally throw in some chia seeds, too.

7 years NED on September 19, 2014. Hooray!
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Jeepster

I have a blendtec and love it! Use it two to three times daily, fresh organic produce delivered to my door every other week helps a lot!
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Jackie07

Purchased a blender several years ago after 2nd Sister came help with my recovery from the double mastectomy. Never used it very much as my brain does not encode well new tasks/procedures. So I just eat fresh ...

My breakfast usually include a big bowl of oatmeal topped with 1/4 chopped apple, 1/2 chopped orange, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 cup of sliced strawberry+blue berry, 3-4 pieces of black berry, 1/3 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup of chopped walnut, 1 Ts flax seeds, and 3 TS yogurt.

It's been doing the job as I don't experience much problem from the diverticulosis anymore.

The oatmeal diet also helped me to lose weight (involuntarily... [Gained about 10 lbs at Father-in-law's place as I continue to eat my oatmeal/fruit mix besides the regular meals FIL put on the table. I needed the weight (now 125 lb. for a 5'7" frame, yippy!)]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-24-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
ElaineM

Wink Re: Fruit Vegetable Juice Smoothies for your health.

Count me in among the juicers. I have 3 blenders and use them often.
I also eat healthy solid food.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
DragonMom

I'm not getting enough vitamins, as the pills make me violently sick and have since I was a kid. Know of a "recipe" that would get what I need that taste good to have 1-2 times a day? I have the NutraBullet and really like it.

Thanks-kelly
Her2+++
Mastectomy Nov 22, 2011
Dec 15 2011 Begin FEC x 4
Mar 8,2012 1st of 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin
Rad's 36 zaps July 1st-August 16, 2013
Herceptin April 8 2012-March 1st 2013
Not recommended for Reconstruction April 24, 2103
Found 6 Tumors in Ovary and Uterus
=Hysterectomy March 8, 2013

DragonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Jeepster

I love to use lots of kale as the base of all my green shakes, then add fresh Ginger, a medule date, (adds sweetness) and what ever fruit I have either an apple, or pear, or banana.fill with filtered water or a treat coconut water. Blend and enjoy! I try to make sure that the portion of veggie is more than fruit.
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote