HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Rich66

Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Baltimor

Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Baltimore

http://asbp.org/siterun_data/news/do...305215314.html

Quote:
Dr. Thomas Seyfried–“Ketone Bodies and Cancer”
  • Most brain tumors are untreatable and patients die from the pressure build-up
  • Calorie restriction is necessary for treating brain tumors
  • The mitochondria are dysfunctional in human brain tumors
  • Otto Warburg noted that cancer leads to irreversible damage
  • Tumor cells are unable to shift from feeding on glucose to ketones
  • Cancer is more of a metabolic disease than a genetic one
  • There’s an 80% reduction in tumor weight when calorie-restricted
  • Calorie-restriction one of the most powerful therapies for killing cancer cells
  • As glucose is decreased, cancer cells reduce as well
  • A low-carb, calorie-restricted diet is better than the best drug therapy for cancer
  • Ketogenic calorie-restricted diets have reduced brain tumors in mice and humans
  • Blood glucose remains too high on an unlimited calories low-carb diet to treat cancer
  • Calorie-restricted low-carb diets create adequate ketones for treating brain tumors
  • Ketogenic, calorie-restricted diets don’t cure cancer, but they come close
  • Tumors can’t grow when calories are cut to create ketones
  • Limiting carbs and calories puts you in the zone of managing tumor growth
  • Brain cancer in children can be treated with ketogenic diets by reducing glucose
  • Avoid radiation therapy if all all possible–ketogenic, calorie-restricted diet is best for cancer
Dr. Eugene Fine–“Reduced Carbohydrates in Aggressive Resistant Tumors (RECHARGE Trial)”
  • Not all cancers are dependent on glucose for growth, including prostate cancer
  • Hyperinsulinemia is a major cancer risk factor–that’s why reducing insulin in paramount
  • It’s plausible that reducing insulin secretion could inhibit cancer growth
  • The typical American diet contains 300-400g carbs daily–spiking insulin
  • Cut the carbs and you’ll cut the insulin and reduce your cancer risk
  • You don’t want an insulin knockout (Type 1 diabetes), but rather an insulin knockdown
  • A low-carb diet provides the proper control of insulin without eliminating the good it does
  • Reduced carb diets have not demonstrated adverse effects up to 2 years as a medical therapy
  • Humans were built as hunter-gatherers to be in a ketotic state most of the time
  • Fasting is in our ancestral biochemistry with no ill effects
  • There is no known dietary requirement for carbohydrate in your diet
  • Grains and vegetables are only a relatively recent addition to the human diet
  • A very low-carb diet changes the metabolic environment where cancer would grow
  • Too many people are living outside of a sustained ketogenic state leading to more cancer
  • RECHARGE Trial used very low-carb diet on 10 patients who failed on chemotherapy
  • The study placed the participants on a very low-carb ketogenic diet for 28 days
  • Average daily intake consumed by study patients was 27g carbs and 1236 daily
  • All of the study participants were ketotic
  • Future direction of research will be a larger study using ketogenic diets–funding needed

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Balt

And then there's this:

Studies target link between prostate cancer, excess protein

Quote:
Dr. Luigi Fontana is the chief investigator on the study, "Does Protein Restriction Inhibit Prostate Cancer Growth?"
He's also co-director of the CALERIE Study, a national, federally funded look at the health effects of calorie restriction — eating 20 percent to 30 percent fewer calories.
While working on the CALERIE Study, Fontana said researchers examined men who had reduced their calorie intake quite substantially. They found that protein intake was more important than calorie intake in regulating the circulating levels of a key hormone called insulin-like growth factor 1, or IGF-1.The hormone has been linked to the risk of developing prostate, breast and colon cancer.
The normal job of the hormone is to help cells grow. It's one of the reasons protein helps rebuild muscles.
But too much protein produced too much of the hormone, Fontana said. That extra hormone potentially helps prostate cancer cells grow, as well.
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/h...033ee21e3.html

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
sdstarfish

Re: Take-Home Messages From The 2011 Nutrition & Metabolism Society Symposium In Balt

Thanks for posting the info from the conference, Rich. I found it interesting to hear that prostate cancer does not depend on glucose for growth. I also appreciated the info on ketones.
Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Hopeful

My single most important take-away:

Quote:
Cancer is more of a metabolic disease than a genetic one
We need endocrinologists involved in our care from the start.

Thanks, Rich.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Rich66

Been interested in the carb issue for some time. The 2nd link suggesting "excess" protein triggering insulin growth factor was a surprise to me. Armchair analysis suggests good fats like olive oil might be one of the best sources of energy/calories.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
radiant

Wow Rich - this seems B.i.g.

thanks, Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Rich66

Some research on Alpha lipoic acid and hydroxycitrate (carb blocker) might make it easier to control carbs:
http://www.searcheeze.com/ibrii_public_collection/WdSuX

Radiant,
That's a unique regimen you're on. Looks like a multiprong attack.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Elizabethtx

Thanks for this link and information. I have always felt my diet contributed to the growth of cancer in my body, considering I have no other risk factors. I've grown up and lived on a high carbo diet, moderately overweight. Even after completing treatment, except for Tamoxifen, I still don't feel "well". Can't explain it, but of course I wonder if it my body still fighting cancer cells. More research for me AND get away from the things that turn in to glucose!
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear