HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
dede10

How in the World

Can we just keep going??? I have had so much chemo, and constantly on Herceptin til Nov...and its acting up again!!!! In the past 22 mos, I have had 12 mos full of chemo...and felt like crap the rest of the time. This next go round will be chemo #6...starting tomorrow.

I am mad, upset, nervous, sad....and I wonder if I really want to continue? I'm not even me anymore...I am ...I don't even know who I am

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Dum spiro spero
(Latin: while I breathe I hope)
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Sheila

Dede
It is hard sometimes to keep our chin up when we can not see the end....it is very hard always being in treatment, and truthfully, some of us will always be in treatment....I hope the next combo will do the trick for you...it seems like everytime I go off, it comes right back.....I had excellent success with Avastin and Taxol, but I did have lots of B/P problems and am now off it.....I hope tomorrow looks brighter for you.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
dede10

I am going to be one of those always on chemo, I'm afraid.....

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Dum spiro spero
(Latin: while I breathe I hope)
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Please Do Not Despair. All Is Not Lost...

I was told, in '98, that what I had was INCURABLE, INOPERABLE AND I WOULD BE ON LONG TERM CHEMOTHERAPY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

I was devastated. Mind-numbing ideas! Then I saw another onc who told me -- cancer is incurable right now, true, but it is controllable. It is a chronic condition that has flare ups and we have many weapons in our arsenal to combat it. They continue to come out with new tx practically every wk.

He added that I don't want to operate on my extensive liver mets. It would weaken me for the chemo, which I would have to have anyway b/c it could be microscopically present.

As for longterm chemotherapy, this onc told me that there are kinder, gentler drugs that I may have to go on for maintenance.
After 9 mnths of hell w/Taxotere I reached remission and, for me,
HERCEPTIN, is my longterm chemotherapy (that is really a monoclonal antibody) for the rest of my life.

I see myself living for a very long time, and feel I can *live* w/this sentence. I am so happy for each day and each grandchild I have lived to greet into this world.

Please read my post in Havah's LIVER METS thread...for more.

There are different ways of looking at the same situation. You can believe there are no miracles in Life, or you can begin to see that everything is miraculous! (Borrowed from Einstein...)

Whatever stands before you -- YOU CAN DO IT! I BELIEVE IN YOU! Remember -- you are never alone. Never. Tap into the powers that lie at your core. They are there, even if you haven't yet found them.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Bill

Wink

Hi Dede! I know how tough long-term chemo. can be on you. Please take comfort in the words of the awesome warrior women who have posted here, and please realize that just because something has been a certain way in the past does not mean it will continue into the future. Amazing and wonderful new drugs are being approved all the time. Technology is marching forward at an ever-increasing rate, so, in a sense, the rate of advancements in effective treatments is ever-increasing as well. Some studies and breakthroughs that used to take years to complete now sometimes take months, due to the the whirlwind of computer technology and new studies. You hang in there. The best is yet to come. Offering Prayers and Comfort to you. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
dhealey

My heart goes out to you Dede, but as Bill said there are many new treatments on the horizon. Don't give up, have the odasity to have HOPE! Look at Andi still going strong since 1998. Praying they find the right combo to bring you to NED.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
madubois63

Dede - I truly know what your going through as do so many other people here.I've had a little bit of a tough time trying to get over this latest relapse (My third fight with bc - and don't forget I got leukemia from too much chemo and my liver rejected my bone marrow transplant dropping me on the threshold of deaths door this past summer)). It sucks. You won't get an argument from me on this one, but I have no other choice at this time but to keep fighting. I am not brave, courageous, blah, blah, blah...I am greedy. I want more time, and I do not want a world without me in it!!! I know I can continue to do this for as long as it takes. It is my objective to stay one (or several) steps in front of cancer until that cure comes along!!!! Please keep posting your feelings and don't keep them inside. I have embraced the fact that I am depressed right now. I tell everyone that asks. People take me out shopping, to movies and out to eat to try and cheer me up. Hmmm, not such a bad deal...I think I may be depressed until I have a nice new wardrobe... I hope you find your happy place, hang in there. It's worth it!!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
sarah

Yup, sometimes it's a drag and limits what we can do. I'm on Herceptin (3rd year) and hope to be on it always but that obligation every 3 weeks sometimes is hard, still I realize what a gift it is.
What you're feeling now will pass.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
chrisy

Hi Dede,
Many of us can relate to how you feel. It is really daunting to contemplate being on chemo for "the rest of your life". On the other hand, we find we are so greedy for life that we do it anyway. As Andi said, some of the treatments available today are much kinder than in the past which makes it more tolerable. More tolerable to the body - but it still can be a strain on the spirit at times.

What we do tho, is press on - because our spirits are stronger than this disease and a helluva lot stronger than the chemo!

Hang in there, sister.
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Sherryg683

I have been on Herceptin every week now for 2 years and it does get old. My weekly trip is a reminder to me that I am still fighting the cancer even though I am NED. I go get my scans this week and am scared to death of having them turn out bad and having to go back on the "hard" chemo. That period of time for me was like the black hole, that's what I call it. It was a time when I realized that all was not great in my life. Many people showed me sides of themselves that just wasn't pretty. When I needed compassion, I sometimes got the opposite. I am seeing the same happening with my brother who is in the final stages of cancer. It's heartbreaking to realize that you just don't matter as much as you think you do, to those you would hope you matter to. I have tried to file away those memories but they are always in the back of my mind. God, I don't want to have to go through that again. We fight to survive, we do what's necessary, we have good days and awful days. Our reality is realizing we won't live forever. I miss the days when I thought I would...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Dede

Hoping you are feeling better today. I know how hard it can be to remain positive through this all. Sending love and wishes that you are doing well my Friend>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
tousled1

dede,

I know how you feel. I've been on some kind of treatment except for 3 months since I was originally diagnosed. What was our normal no longer is. We develop a new "normal." Hang in there and keep fighting.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Becca

Yes, Dede, it is hard to continue with treatments, but now after several days you have likely found a reserve within yourself that is giving you renewed strength. These treatments, the side effects, the pain, makes us different from what we once were and from our "normal" friends. As Sherry pointed out in her post above "Our reality is realizing we won't live forever. I miss the days when I thought I would." I also liked what Maryann posted " I have embraced the fact that I am depressed right now" and she wrote it with a sense of humor! Like you Dede, and many others on this site, I long to be normal again--to not have so many facets in my life focused on this disease. Kate wrote we have a new normal. I garner courage from these BC warriors dealing with continued treatment just as I am. Dede, I hope life looks brighter for you today. As Chris said above "Hang in there sister".
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
tricia keegan

Dede I'm stage 2 and can only imagine how difficult this is for you to come to terms with and continue, I just wanted to send you hugs and hope you're feeling better today with renewed energy. Keep going girl!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote