HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #61
ElaineM

Wink Re: Cancer is back...I just knew it.

You seem to be doing a very good job of setting up the things you need and want.
Don't worry about your husband not being as supportive as you would like him to be. We women are strong and are very able to get important things done.
We are very good at finding help and support by ourselves when we need to do that.
I read Dr. Slamon is working with other doctor/scientists developing new drugs (targeted therapies) as part of the Stand Up to Cancer Project.
However, he might be willing to consult about your situation. In addition I wonder if making an appointment to see the breast cancer oncologist at the Johnson Comprehensive Cancer Center where Dr. Slamon works might be useful? You will get to see an oncologist who specializes in breast cancer. Dr. Slamon certainly influenced the way things are done at that facility.
Good luck. You are doing a good job putting one foot in front of the other. Keep going. Hang in there.
Feel free to share whatever you want to share with us.
Most of the members of this group have had alot of ups and downs with breast cancer and can be supportive whenever you want to discuss things with us.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #62
Linda

Re: Cancer is back...I just knew it.

Chelee:
I'm so so sorry to hear about your recurrence.
I wanted to pass on the name of an LA bc expert that I consulted when I was dx. I know she's a heavy hitter, although I don't know if she's still at this practice, since I saw her 4 years ago. But you can google her and see where she is now and if she's someone you might want to consult.
Dr. Silvana Martino
(as of '05) The Angeles Clinic
(310) 582 7900
I wish you the best
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #63
Becky

Dear Chelee

I am so sorry about this devastating news. Take a couple of deep breaths. Even though your onc hasn't been the greatest of personalities, she did state one fact - you will make it through this and it will be alright.

Please know I am here for you.

Love and hugs

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #64
charlotte

I want you to know there is a great deal of folks praying for you (me too)We are here for you.. I don't post a lot, because I hardly ever get any good news to share..We care about you and I hope you can get some rest, before you start fighting this #******
Cancer. let me know if I can help you in any way..You are a strong person... take care, please keep us updated as to your progress.. Charlotte
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #65
vickie h

Oh Chelee, @#$%^&%$#! I am so sorry to hear this latest news. I just found out as I have been away and dealing with my own stuff, but you are always here in my heart and prayers. Try to breathe deeply and know we all love you. Dr. Slamon is 2 blocks away from my Oncologist, on Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica. Dr. Kimberly Hervitz is seeing his patients and he oversees all of the cases, so please call them and see if you can see Kimberly. You'll be in great hands there...I just know it. In the meantime, my sweet sister, I love you and know you're going to get the right treatment and soon.
Love and Hugs,
Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #66
loveher

stay strong Chelee!!! you will get through this storm.
-Sue
Hi i'm Sue. I've been part of the her2support family since 08'. My amazing mother Hong was her 2 stage IV 9 years and bravely earned her wings, I still love this board and continue to her fight. Plz reach out if you want to connect:)
loveher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #67
sarah

how you doing Cheleee???
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #68
juanita

sending hugs and prayers your way!!!!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #69
schoolteacher

Chelee,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #70
Chelee

Sarah you ask how I'm doing? I am just feeling so overwhelmed and have so many things going thur my mind of what I need to do...and how I'm going to get it done. Plus all the questions my onc won't answer. I know I won't feel any better at all till I talk to a "couple" other onc. One is Dr. Mortimer that Joe referred me too...hopefully they will get that set-up this week! They are already past the 72 hrs they had to get it done. I called the case manager at my place & her excuse for why it's not set-up already is because I saw a different onc at City of Hope within the last 18 months so that onc has to release me to see Dr. Mortimer. Well that shold NOT take this long...I'm in a hurry. (What about laws...it said 72 hrs...period!)

All these delays and just more added stress. Then I am a bit nervous about starting Herceptin tomorrow "without" a port...but yet I want to get started now. They keep saying Herceptin one time without a port won't damage my veins like other chemo. (I hope that's true...my veins are shot as is.) I get my port Tues., the day after Herceptin. Seems they did this backwards.

I did go on Saturday & had my ECHO...couldn't get a read on the tech to see if my heart is in good shape? Last time I did Herceptin my EF was always high...70% & I believe 65% was the lowest it went...so I hope its still fine. If I had my game plan I'd feel better I think? Trying to figure out which onc's to get opinions from...& being realisitic about how far I can drive back and forth for chemo is just stressing me out. So many things to think about AND do. I want to get at least a "Consult" with Dr. Slamon if at all possible..that would really give me some peace of mind. I've had such a great response from so many of you on the board and via PM with good idea's and referrals to great oncologist's to see. I'm over whelmed...in a good way. But yet it's hard to pick which ones to go too. I still have to call my HMO directly because the case manager at the hospital told me flat out I could NOT have more then one 2nd opinion. I find that HARD to believe. They just don't want me doing that. I'm just at my wits end about now. This entire last wk has been a nightmare to me. My appetite has been gone & I'm dropped weight & having trouble sleeping since this all started.

Until I get a 2nd opinion I won't know anything and I think thats whats causing me the most anxiety. Navelbine & Herceptin was mentioned...along with Taxotere, Tykerb or Avastin to add to the Herceptin (alone) of course. Or a clinical trial. I first need to know if I really have chest wall recurrance...my PET/CT doesn't sound like it to me...it's my seroma that's been there forever! But right axilla does suggest neoplasms. I want to know what they can do about that since I can't have rads? This waiting for 2nd opinions is going to kill me first. I'm just rambling like always...not to stressed out. Sorry!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #71
'lizbeth

Chelee, I know you are understandably upset. But Herceptin is a targeted therapy not a chemotherapy. It won't damage your veins like chemo does.

You'll be okay with one treatment without a port, so don't worry about that one.

I hope that you get good news with your heart's LVEF. You deserve some good news and I'll be praying that you receive it.

We are here for you,

'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #72
harrie

Chelee, I am so sorry to hear of your news.
Ok second opinions. I was going to get a second opinion from a Dr. David Chan. I believe he is in Redondo Beach. I really liked the book that he wrote. I ended up not seeing him and was referred to Dr. Pegram for the opinion that I wanted regarding the HER2. If it were not for that particular situation, I would have consulted Dr. Chan. I was very grateful to Dr. Chan's office for going out of their way to refer me to Dr. Pegram. They didn't have to do that and they never me me personally.
I go to Breastlink down in Manhattan Beach and there is a Dr. Waisman who is my onco. He is amazing. Not only is he very smart, but extremely compassionate and on the cutting edge. Let me know if you would like more info.
Dr. W is so on top of everything with me, if I have ANY concerns or questions, he is always available via email, any day of the week and he gets back with me with hardly any delay at all, dispite his busy itinerary. Unbelievable.
I have had my share of experiences with bc and Dr. W is my guardian angel.
Email me if you want more info.
Take care.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #73
WolverineFan

Chelee,

I can't imagine how frustrating it is having to wait, as that is always the hardest part for me, but you can do this. I agree that you will feel somewhat better once you have a game plan and can start on that. Until then, please know you have a big crowd cheering you on every step of the way, and praying for a complete recovery for you!! Take care and good luck tomorrow.

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #74
sarah

glad to hear from you Chelee. Good that you're getting Herceptin right away. sounds like the board has given you good references.
If I were you, I'd go with Harriecanarie's advice. you need a very good doctor and a compassionate one.
once you start getting the chemo, you're feel better.
the waiting and deciding is the most worrying period.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #75
DianneS

Chelee,

Just wanted to chime in to say I had all my herceptin tx's with no port. They use a tiny pediatric needle - very painless and does not leave any marks.

Thinking of you & wishing you the best treatment ASAP!
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #76
WolverineFan

Chelee....any updates? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hayley

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #77
chrisy

Chelee,

Sorry to hear your news...I know it's scary as you gather information there's just too many questions swirling around right now. Chelee you are a fighter and although I know it feels like you have to hit it all with guns blazing RIGHT NOW...but you do have time to get the best information, go for that 2nd or 3rd opinion, and come up with your plan.

The big difference now is that you are planning for a marathon, not a sprint. What has not changed is that you need to remember to breathe.

You're not alone.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #78
agaperus

Hi Rhonda;
I was reading through and saw in your medical information that your doctor prescribed neurotonin. Are you still on it and is it still helping? My doctor has put my on Lyrica and although it has helped a lot, the weight gain it has caused has my blood sugars climbing. I'd love to know if you are experiencing any side effects from the neurotonin. God bles and thank you.
agaperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #79
Trish

Oh Chelee I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I am glad though that so many of us on this web site are right behind you. I am confused though. I thought Joe , the Webmaster was Joe Christine's husband who recently died. Was I wrong?
I am hoping that you will soon get better news.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #80
KDR

Sorry to read your upsetting news, Chelee. Stay strong, there are so many new and good treatments available now. I think UCLA is one of the best places, too. Warm thoughts your way,
your new friend, Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote