HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Kim in DC

Please find below the results thus far for the PA vaccine. The article points out that the 2 women who reoccured had a poor response to the vaccine

Clinical Trial Results of a HER2/neu (E75) Vaccine to Prevent Recurrence in High Risk Breast Cancer Patients

George E. Peoples, MD1,3, Jennifer M. Gurney, MD1, Matthew T. Hueman, MD1, Mike M. Woll, MD1,
Gayle B. Ryan, MD1, Catherine E. Storrer, BS1, Christine Fisher, BS1, Craig D. Shriver, MD1,
Constantine G. Ioannides, PhD2, and Sathibalan Ponniah, PhD1

Running Title: HER2 Vaccine to Prevent Breast Cancer

Funded by the Clinical Breast Care Project, Congressionally funded programs of the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (Rockville, Maryland).
Supported by the United States Army Medical Research and Development Command,
and the Department of Clinical Investigations at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or reflecting the views of the Department of the Army or the Department of Defense.

1Clinical Breast Care Project, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC and Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD. 2University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
3To whom correspondence should be addressed. Department of Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20307-5001. Voice 202-782-9692. Fax 202-782-0759. Email george.peoples@na.amedd.army.mil.

ABSTRACT
Purpose: E75 is an immunogenic peptide from the HER2/neu protein that is highly expressed in breast cancer. We are conducting a clinical trial of an E75 (+GM-CSF) vaccine to assess for safety, immunologic response, and the prevention of clinical recurrences in node-positive breast cancer (NPBC) patients without evidence of disease.
Patients and Methods: Fifty-three NPBC patients have been enrolled thus far and HLA typed. HLA-A2+ patients (n = 24) have been vaccinated while HLA-A2- patients (n = 29) are being followed prospectively as clinical controls. Local/systemic toxicities, immunologic responses, and time to recurrence are being measured.
Results: Only minor toxicities have occurred (one grade 3 (4%)). All patients have demonstrated clonal expansion of E75–specific CD8+ T cells that lysed HER2/neu-expressing tumor cells. An optimal dosage and schedule have been established. Patients have developed DTH reactions to E75 post-vaccination compared to control (33 vs 7 mm, p<0.01). HLA-A2+ patients have been found to have larger, more poorly differentiated, and more hormonally-insensitive tumors compared to the HLA-A2- patients. Despite this, the only two deaths have occurred in the control group. The disease-free survival (DFS) in the vaccinated group is 85.7% compared to 59.8% in the controls at 22 months median follow-up with a recurrence rate of 8% compared to 21%, respectively (p<0.19). Median time to recurrence in the vaccinated patients was prolonged (11 vs 8 months), and recurrence correlated with a weak DTH response.
Conclusion: This HER2/neu (E75) vaccine is safe and effective in eliciting a peptide-specific immune response in vivo. Induced HER2/neu immunity appears to reduce the recurrence rate in high-risk NPBC patients.
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
*_Cynthia_*

Kim, Do you know the date of this article and where it appeared?

I participated in the Walter Reed study (node positive) at Walter Reed, not Windber, completed the vaccines, and, knock wood, remain NED. I have been looking for something to be published and was very pleased to see this article.

Thank you for your post.

Cynthia
Old 03-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Kim in DC

Cynthia,

I got this from Maureen ,the trial nurse at Windber. If I'm not mistaken, these results include you and the ladies at Walter Reed as well. This article was published last year. When I go to my other computer, I'll forward the email to you.

Kim in DC
Old 03-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
*_Julie_*

Can a stage 3 person taking herceptin treatment simultaneously participate in this trial?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
*_Cynthia_*

Kim, Thank you. When I was at Walter Reed a couple of months ago for my final visit I was told that a new paper would be published in the next few months outlining the findings to date. I thought perhaps that this was that paper but I guess not. The nurse at Walter Reed said she would let me know as soon as it is published. I will post information about it when I get it (unless someone gets it sooner which would be great with me). Good luck to you in the trial.

Julie, I don't know the criteria but urge you to contact either Walter Reed or Windber for more information. I do believe, however, that you must be NED. Best wishes to you.

Cynthia
Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Kim in DC

Julie,

As of Jan. 2005, Herceptin can be used concurrently. The trial nurse in PA said that studies are showing that the herceptin treated cancer cells are responding better to the vaccine

I am stage IIIB. Right now I am taking herceptin/navelbine. I have six more weeks and then I start radiation. You have to wait 2 months after you complete your treatment before you can enter the trial.

Kim in DC
Old 03-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Kim in DC

Cynthia,

This abstract was submited to the Journal of Clinical Oncolgy In Dec. of last year. The data could very well include you
Old 03-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
*_Julie_*

Hi Kim,

How long you will be on Herceptin? I found out from windber trial that thay don't allow concurrent usage of Herceptin with vaccine. Am I missing something.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
Rozebud

My understanding is that subsequent to herceptin is ok but concurrent is not (unless maybe you are stage IV??) Kim mentions that she has to have "completed" treatment in her post - maybe that's where the confusion lies. Maybe it means you can have had herceptin, just not at the same time.
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
Kim in DC

Let me double check with Maureen and I will get back to you guys.

Kim