HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Chelee

Changes to my Navelbine & now side affects...

My onc started me off on wkly Navelbine. Did it that way for 3 wks. Counts tanked quickly so she did reduce dosage a couple times. But I had no problems at all with it and felt pretty good for someone on chemo. (Navelbine/Herceptin/Zometa)

But now my onc is on vacation for a month and she decided to give me a 2 wk dose of Navelbine. This was recommended by the 2nd opinion onc I saw at City of Hope. Since I went from wkly to a 2 wk dose I feel awful. Main complaints are nauseated, constipation and jaw pain.

My onc wrote a script for "Lactulose" for the constipation. But I have doubled what it says to take...on top of taking Senokot and nothing works! I'm sick of taking this Lactulose because it's like drinking pure syrup. Makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. But I wasn't having any problems with nausea on the one wk dose...now I feel sick all the time. Started feeling nauseated 4 days after my infusion. What's strange is I'll feel hungry...then I'll go eat something that's very bland and safe...then I get really sick. I've had absolutely no food today at all because I feel so sick. But it's making me weak not eating. I need to find a way to eat because I feel sicker when I've had nothing. I'm playing heck even drinking my water...I'm a big water drinker normally. (I started taking Zofran & Compazine yesterday & it helps for a while...but I still don't feel up to eating.)

Did anyone else on Navelbine have these problems? Especially the "extreme" constipation and nausea? I'd rather go back to wkly because this is awful. (Plus I have bad jaw pain on both sides. Is this from Navelbine or from the Zometa?) Worries me.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Changes to my Navelbine & now side affects...

Are you taking pain killers? They can cause constipation. If they are opiates, look into Relistor.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Colleen007

Hi Chelee,

I get Navelbine weekly unless I am going on vacation (have to live life, too!). I have had severe problems w/ constipation in the past and my miracle cure is Miralax. When I first started taking it, it was only available by prescription. It is now available over the counter (and I am now seeing generic versions of it). I usually only need it for a couple of days after treatment...and by then, things are moving right along. I get Zofran through the IV before I get my Navelbine, so I haven't had many issues with nausea (but that probably contributes to the constipation). I do, however, have serious heartburn after treatment, so I have learned to not eat a heavy meal for a couple of days, don't eat dinner too late and chew up some Tums before I go to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Colleen
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Carolyns

Hi Chelee,

I am sorry to hear the Navelbine is giving you such a hard time. It was difficult for me too. I had to drink smooth moves tea nightly and I still had problems. I was on Zofran and got extra IV liquids.

Eventually I ended up with Prevacid too. Navelbine was not easy for me.

I wish I had some better answers for you. Thinking of you.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
LoriG

Chelee,

I had only one dose of Navelbine to hold things in check while I was getting a second opinion at MDA. I can't speak to the constipation, but I can tell you that I had awful jaw pain. It lasted about 5 days and then resolved since i did not get another infusion. I read jaw pain is aside effect about 5% of the time.

I hope you find a way to tolerate your new schedule.

Take care,
Lori
*Taxol x4 with weekly herceptin
*Breast MRI 12/09- no improvement
*PET scan 12/09- no evidence of mets
*Tykerb/Xeloda 12/09
*Bilateral MRM 4/10
*Twice daily rads to both chest walls and both axillas 5/10-6/10
*9/10 PET/CT- NED
*Tykerb/Xeloda until 12/10
*Tykerb and Tamoxifen 12/10-current. Bye bye Xeloda
*2/11- malignant pleural effusions bilaterally (likely lymphangitic lung mets) and skin mets
Herceptin and Ixempra
LoriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Cal-Gal

Hi Chelee--

I was always constipated until I started taking my Cal-Mag-Zinc liquid supplement at night w/Keifer and Pomegrante juice--

I mix 2-3 Tablespoons of the supplement w/a half cup of Keifer and a quarter cup of Pomegrante juice--

It works wonders and is very healthy and tastes great too!!!

Good Luck--
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
Chelee

Colleen, I get pre-meds too...one is the Zofran along with Pepcid. I didn't feel nauseated at all when doing the wkly regimen. Changing to this 2 wk dose is awful...I can't believe it's made such a big difference in how I feel.

This not being able it eat isn't making me very happy. I feel so hungry but if I eat then I feel sick. I think I need to go back to wkly because this sucks. I read you can have severe problems with constipation on Navelbine...they certainly have that right. When I was on Taxotere which caused constipation I just took my Senokot nightly and no problems. But I take both the prescription my onc wrote for me and senokot and it's a joke. But I do take pain meds which I'm sure has added to the problem.
I did have a bad case of heart burn last night & took some Maalox which usually works wonders fro me. But this time it only worked for about 20 to 30 minutes. I'm going to be dehydrated and and really sick if something doesn't change by tomorrow. Maybe I will start taking some Protonix again like I did when on Taxotere...maybe that will help?

Lori, Thanks for letting me know you had the jaw pain...that has been worrying me. I hadn't heard of that being a side affect but I have noticed it's happened every time I have had an infusion. I'll just think positive and tomorrow will be 7 days since my infusion so things will start getting better by morning. Thanks for all the feed back.

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Lien

Hi Chelee,

You poor thing! One thing after another. I never had Navelbine, but perhaps some of these tips can help a little:

Eat some ginger or drink ginger tea. It helps for the nausea. Soak some grated ginger root in hot water and sip.

Start the day with some tepid water. As much as you can tolerate. It helps with constipation.

Sip small amounts of drinks. Nothing carbonated though!

Try rooibos tea, honeybush tea, chicken stock,

Try mate (South American tea used by the Inca's to combat nausea, hunger and fatigue)

Try to take a spoonful of liquid every ten minutes. That way you stay hydrated.

Try reflexology. Check this chart and rub the area in the middle of your left hand. You can use a little ball and roll it over the area if you like. http://painfreelikeme.net/images/hand-small.gif

Call your doc if things don't improve within 12 hrs.

Hugs!

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Sheila

Chelee
We are all so different when it comes to side effects....I always had Navelbine every 2 weeks, and I was the one who had diarrhea from it...almost unheard of, as constipation is the big problem. Surprised to hear about the jaw pain, I would think that was more Zometa related....and now find out its related to Navelbine....I never got any pre meds, and took an occasional Nexium for indigestion....have then put you on the schedule you feel best on.....its a no brainer...same benefit, less side effects!!!! You tell 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Rich66

Try Navelbine infusion as late in day/evening as you can get it. (B ting ded hoarse)

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Chelee

Shelia, we are the weird ones it looks like. The rare side affects of Navelbine are diarrhea & jaw pain. I can't even imagine having diarrhea on this stuff...it would almost be a blessing at this point. lol (Just kidding...I really don't want that problem either.)

I do feel much better today & was able to eat without feeling ill. So looks like if I stayed on the 2 weeks dose there would be 3 days of feeling bad. But on the one wk dose I had no problems so I will re-visit that one. Although I'm due for a PET/CT towards the end of this month and if Navelbine isn't doing it's job I'm not sure what's next? But I'll take one day at a time for now.

Rich, I actually do get my Navy Beans last part of the day. I got my Navelbine at 3:30 PM last time. By the time they run a little saline via IV I'm usually leaving about 4:10 PM.

Jacqueline I'll give the ginger a try next time if this happens again. I haven't heard of the rooibos tea, honeybush tea...but love to try new teas so I'll gladly look into that too. Thanks for the tips. I'll try anything verses feel like that.

Chelee
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
ElaineM

Wink Re: Changes to my Navelbine & now side affects...

Sorry to hear you are having problems again.
I don't know much about the conventional main stream remedies some of the other members have suggested.
My solutions were similiar to Cal Gal and Lien. You may also want to try to sprinkle coconut on fruit for the constipation. I heard natural licorice is good, but you should be careful with that if you have high blood pressure. I also heard aloe vera works for constipation.
Digestive enzymes might work if you have heartburn.
I cook with fresh ginger or put ginger in my oatmeal almost every day. I eat yoghurt (kefir is similiar to yoghurt) everyday. I drink alot of water.
I hope you feel better soon.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Rich66

Ok..that's mid to late afternoon. Any chance of getting it later in evening, in ER or on oncology floor?
FWIW, when my Dad gets really backed up, the only thing that works is enema for lower bowel followed by magnesium citrate for upper bowel. Both available at Walgreens. I have also been told that water alone is very important.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
Ellie F

Chelee
One thing England has going for it is we can get hold of lots of different types of tea!! Think it's historical. Let me know if you want me to send you any particular type if you can't get it in the States
ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Jackie07

Chelee,

Hope you are feeling better today.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Ruth

Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better!
Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
flynny

Thinking of you and hope it continues to get better.

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
Adriana Mangus

Dear Chelee: Hope you are doing better!

I never experienced any problems while on Navelbine.

Just like Sheila, I had a little problem with loose BM's, but nothing too serious. I do remember having jaw pain on the left side, -- did not pay much attention to it, did not bother me much either.

I am also someone who does not experience nausea, early on -- in 1995 I did have problems with vomiting. A lady I met at a support group meeting, suggested for me to try licorice -twisters-, 7up, crackers, and cheese. It worked for me; licorice would take care of it right away. I still have it, at least once a month.

Hopefully as the therapy progresses your symptoms will diminish.

Good to hear from you.

Love,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
WomanofSteel

Chelee I am sorry you are having a nightmare of a time of it lately. I too have constipation problems. I put the lactulose in a cup of tea. It sweetens the tea and makes it easier to swallow and I think the warm beverage helps.
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Chelee

WomenofSteel, I always start my morning with two cups of tea & since the bc dx I quit using suger in my tea. But that is a great idea to use the lactulose in it. It is SO sweet...should work perfect. That's really a great idea...will try it tomorrow morning.

Rich, I about died laughing about your ER comment, and using the oncology floor. Maybe I'll request one of the chemo nurses to come in around 11:00 PM that same night for my Navy Beans. I'm sure once I explain why it's so important they will gladly agree to do this. I'll let you know how that goes? lol

Adriana, So your another one that had jaw pain with Navelbine. I'm finding out it's more common then I first thought. I love the licorice twisters idea. Black licorice is one of my favorites. What a great excuse for me to buy licorice....yummy. Thanks!

Chelee