HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2004, 03:23 AM   #1
Kristen

I have Aol, and most of the news I get comes from the start up page.
In case any of you missed it Vioxx is being pulled from the market. They said they were using it for colon cancer patients and it seemed to increase heart malfunctions.
I remember we have had discussion on Cox-2 inhibitors and I think some of you were on that. Just an update, with my kids, all I see is the Disney Channel. take care k
Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Steph N

Yes, Kristen, that also got my attention on my AOL welcome screen.
I have been taking Celebrex for the COX2 inhibition factor for 2 years and 3 months. I still get Herceptin and between the 2 drugs do not seem to have any heart problems that I or my docs have noticed. (I spent 5 hours outside cutting bushes with my nephew today!)
They do not seem to think that Celebrex would have the same negative effect on the heart as Vioxx from everything that I could read on that today. Maybe more news on this subject to come ...
Old 09-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Lyn

Hi, like every drug, we are all different, Celebrex affected my heart,it was great for my shoulder but I ended up with heart failure in 3 valves so Ibpruphen in moderation for me and I am now permanently on Dilatrend so I don't need a valve replacement yet.

Love & hus Lyn
Old 09-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
Anonymous

I work for Pfizer the makers of Celebrex and Bextra. Since it's launch there has not been very many problems. Vioxx has had o change their package insert several times and many would not use it. If you look at Vioxx sales vs. Celebrex there is no competition. It is because of even though in the same class of drugs they work differently. Lipitor is a very successful statin used for cholestrol which probably many of you are on and again no problems but our competition Crestor is new and seems to have problems. When I saw a post for Vioxx the other night I wanted to weigh in but felt it would be too biased since I work for Pfizer.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
Lyn

Hi there, here in Australia they haven't even waited for the jury to be in, they have placed an immediate urgent reccall on all of the Vioxx, that will cause a lot of damage to the drug company.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 10-02-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
Barbara

Lyn:

I am sorry to hear about your heart damage. How long were you on Celebrex before you suffered the damage to your heart valves? Were you on any other drugs or chemo that could cause heart damage? How did the cardiologist determine the damage was from Celebrex versus a virus or bateria?
Old 10-02-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
Lyn

Hi there, I had no problems before because I always took Ibruphen for inflammatory pain but not strong enough for my fractured should pain, which I did in the February and I went into heart failure in September but really hit in the October, the heart warning was on the package leaflet so they stopped the Celebrex immediately and now I can only have Ibruphen occasionaly so all anti-inflammatories are now dangerous to me. I did have left mitral leakage before this but apparently pretty common and not considered a worry. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 10-03-2004, 02:27 AM   #8
Barbara

Lyn:

Thanks so much for your response. I just went on Celebrex. I have a trival amount of mitral value leakage which has not changed in the last ten years. I have had two very good muga scans one before sharting my dose dense and the other before I started Herceptin. However, going on Celebrex did cause me to worry some. Thanks again for responding.