HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #21
katsc49

Herceptin/taxol

Hi, Welthy,
I have been on herceptin/taxol for almost 2 years now and taxol is the first chemo to keep my counts normal, but after the first year, I have started to have side effe cts, like itching right aftrer treatment. I lost my hair, and there are taste issues with food and drinks, of course I am on the dreaded decodron and it actually cause more side effects than the chemo but my onco has lowered it to the lowest.
I am node positive and on Herceptin once every week and taxol is given on the 3 on and 1 week off protocol.
Hope this treatment is good for you,
hugs,
kathy
katsc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
Savta

Hi, Welthy,

I did the 12 weeks of Taxol and Herceptin. I just finished the year course of Herceptin.
I had a mastectomy after the 12 week course--just 12 days later--and the pathology report came back clean! So it obviously did the job!
I didn't feel any side effects, except for a little tired and run down--until the 9th week. Then I began to feel the tingling in my fingers and toes, and some joint pain. But, since it did the job, I took it with a grain of a salt. Small price to pay to get rid of the tumor!
All the best, and hoping for your complete recovery!
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
welthy

Kathy, There is so much I don't know about the length of chemo. Guess it just depends upon the oncologist, etc. I thought radiation was all I needed, but now the year of chemo. Just going one day at a time. Thanks for the hugs..

Hello Savta,
Were you on a clinical study? Good to hear that you did so well. It is good to hear a posative result. Sorry you had to have the mastectomy. I had a reaction to the first chemo, but it was quickly taken care of. The second dose went well except for my blood sugar going over 270. Think it is the steroids. I plan to hang in there.
welthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #24
Savta

No, I wasn't on a study. This was all mapped out for me before I started treatment. I am seen by a wonderful oncologist, and as I told her the first time we met "You know you're my new best friend!" And I just had faith in her advice from the beginning.
Are you getting any medication to fight allergic reaction to Taxol?
They gave it to me with each treatment from the beginning, since apparantly quite a few people do have a reaction from the Taxol.
Keep the faith and know that each treatment brings you closer to health.
Praying for you!
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote