HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
TriciaK

"Pets, not pills"

I wonder if some of you saw the article about England offering prescription money for long-term ill people to buy pets! It really surprised and tickled me, since I have long believed that having pets keeps people healthier. In fact my husband says our playful little Basenjis Keesha and Kintu are better than Prozac! The article was written by Dr. Marty Beck, and says "at least one health authority has adopted the plan in the hope it will keep patients out of the hospital and save money." I wish I knew how to send the whole article, but I don't. It does say that pets not only make us feel good but are good for us, "provide an incentive for people to exercise and be social, deter depression, increase the feeling of general well-being, decrease doctor visits, shorten hospital stays and greatly reduce prescription drug use." The article says that general practicioners southeast of London will give regularly hospitalized patients $1,750 to spend on buying and caring for a pet. It quotes a 1991 study in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine that found that only one month after acquiring a dog or a cat, seniors had 50% fewer medical problems such as painful joints, insomnia, constipation, anxiety, indigestion, colds and flu, palpitations, breathlessness, back pain and headaches. Another recent US study of nearly a thousand Medicare patients concurred, according to the article. So all of us who have beloved pets (including horses!) are on the right track! I love reading or seeing pictures of your pets and I know what comfort they bring to each of us. The pounds are full of abandoned animals---now if we could just get them together with all the sick and lonely people who need them! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Patty H

I got my dog, Olivia in the 14 month period before my first reoccurence. She has brought me such joy. She is the one, at less then a year old, told me about the new cancer. She kept coming up putting her nose under my one arm, not both arms just the one. I had recently discovered a new lump there, but I thought it was just scar tissue from my surgeries. But she wouldn't let up. I finally told her to let up I had an appointment with my breast surgeon soon. I told all my friends about it then, I hadn't told anyone but my husband about the new lump. I told them I was pretty sure it was scar tissue but just in case it wasn't, I wanted it on record before hand not as an after thought that my dog had been nagging me about it for awhile. And she was right, it was a lymp node completely replaced with cancer. I told my friends they could all come over and my dog would give them a phyisical but crotches didn't count because she is a dog. LOL But no one took me up on it. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Sandy H

Smile

I have read several articles of dogs doing this. I have a friend who tells me while she was going through her chemo her dog never left her side! Yes, I believe pets can be a big part of treatment for us people. I have recently purchased a pug puppy, have never or ever wanted a dog! Five years ago if anyone told me I would have a puppy now I would have said they were crazy. How our lives do change and for the most part for the better. His name is Yoda and he has already at 14 weeks, given us so much joy. My husband and I cannot imagine being without him!! I will try to post some pictures of him in the Photo Gallery.hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Cathya

I have also read that dogs can find cancer. Funny isn't it with all the tests we go through, our pets can sniff things out. I don't have a pet....our cat went to live with my daughter when she got her own apartment...she was lonely and loves Daisy. Perhaps I should consider a dog!! Maybe we should do a little research on this...
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Becky

I read a story about a dog sniffing out a melanoma on her owner and not letting up so I believe. I have a 4 year old bichon-poo named Chloe. She just knew how to be with me depending on what I was going through. During breast surgeries, she would lie down by my side near my hip so she wouldn't hurt me and during chemos and zometa/herceptins, she would lie right beside me and even follow me to the bathroom to make sure I was always okay (Taxol made my blood pressure drop badly and once I was walking into the bathroom and started to faint and she went nuts. My husband ran in just in time to stop me from cracking my head open on the sink).

She is always looking out for me so I think if I get a recurrence (or even a bad cold) she will let me know that something is very wrong.

Love to all pets

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

I to believe that pet's have a wonderful and calming effect on people that are sick. I am also postive that one of mine knew I had cancer before I did. She would always cuddle up on my chest on the side that had cancer and she was one to not cuddle at all.

I know my Fur Kid's have me so much thru this journey. These are my babies that help me thru every thing. My hubby is in Kuwait until 2007, and my Fur kid's keep me sane. LOL

Vicki

Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote