HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
mts

"Thin" blood anyone?

I finished my chemo in May 2005 - had rads, currently taking herceptin -42 yrs old. I have noticed lately that if I cut or nick myself shaving, or "pick" the most minute little scab; that I bleed for a long time... I accidentaly scratched between the bridge of my nose and my eyelid (just like babies do when they have long fingernails), and the darn thing bled for over an hour. I know this is kind of a mundane question; but has anyone encountered this? My next visit to onc is in two weeks.

Thanks!

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Maryanne

Maria,

I was told by my nutrionalist at Sloane's that herceptin is a blood thinner of sorts which could very well be the reason.
Hope you are feeling well,
Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Sheila

Maria
I have been on Herceptin 2 yrs & I have the same problem...I have been asked by the nurses if I am on blood thinners because i bleed like crazy when they remove the IV, from any cuts, scratches etc....must be the Herceptin, i even quit taking my daily aspirin. hope you feel better...it is probably the medicine.
Hugs
Sheila
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
al from Canada

I have found that my wife bruses very easily since starting chemo. Not sure if it just the herceptin....

Al
Old 10-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
sassy

Use of an electric razor was recommended to me, possibly for this reason.

Sassy
________
HotStella live

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:32 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Gina

Arrow Ok, this is an easy one...

Usually, the core problem is low platelets. Cancer patients get a double whammy of this because many of us at some time in our treatment have taken platelet depleting chemo's. If your platelets are below 300, you will bleed easily, profusely, and could have a life - threatening internal hemorrage, are susceptible to brain bleeds and will bruise a lot, in general.

Fortunately, low platelet count is one of the easiest and safest blood problems to correct. At its core, it is caused by magnesium depletion. One of the roles of the platelets is to supply the ATP energy with one molecule of magnesium needed for each unit. ATP is the cellular currency of life, the life force or energy spark that makes cellular respiration and all cellular work possible. It is ubiquitous throughout the body. Usually chemos, especially the carboplatins and cisplatins, work by knocking out magnesium, which is a shame as most her-2 folks are already magnesium deficient long before they are ever diagnosed. Best remedy is to eat more magnesium -rich foods such as whole grains, nuts, cocoa, etc. PURE magnesium supplementation, especially magnesium orotate or magnesium with horsetail, will often resolve the platelets and thus, stop the dangerous bleeding. Also, keep in mind, if you are menustrating, your blood will naturally be thinner just before your period starts and if you are having herceptin on that day, you may just naturally bleed more. Also, remember certain tumor markers, especially the CA 125, will also be naturally elevated the week just prior to your period, so if they take your counts and they come back high that one week, don't freak out. The main thing to watch out for with any tumor markers is steady or rapid continued INCREASE over time. Likewise, steady dropping of markers over time is a good indication that your treatment is proceeding in the direction you want it to go.

Good luck to you,
Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote