HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Sue C

I was wondering how long it takes for the markers show that the chemo is working? Does it gradually come down? How long does it take to see the actualy drop in the number?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Lolly

Hi Sue,
I think it probably varies depending on the marker used, how advanced the cancer is, whether there are other medical conditions contributing possibly contributing to an elevated count; in other words there's no right answer...My onc uses the CEA on me, it's the only one which was elevated when I recurred the first time, and within 3 months of starting Navelbine/Herceptin it was normal.
I tried to find some studies that would show a recommended length of time to use as a gage, but didn't find anything useful. I think most of the ladies have noted that their oncs use clinical observation, scans and markers to watch for response. Hope this helps.

Love, Lolly
Old 10-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
eleanor

Like Lolly says, it just depends. Some people see immediate results, others it takes months. Try not to focus too much on those numbers, they're more of a guide. You want to pay attention to the scans, those are a better judge of activity. My onc uses the cea and the ca15-3. If you are not seeing results in a few months and the dr is not ordering tests, then speak up and express your concerns. You need to know if that combo is working for you.
el
Old 10-27-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Lyn

Hi I have always used the CA-15 marker and I was always thrilled that I was way under the 30 and coming down, last flare up I was 6 before starting my chemo and then found info that for cases like mine it was dangerous to have low markers because the disease can go undetected, and I have been lucking that I have always had lumps that I could feel so I new I still had mets but according to tests I had none so now I don't really bother but listen to my symptoms and body.

Love & hugs Lyn