HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
mmoons

Decided to post...because I know you will understand...

Hi all-

I am unexpectedly becoming very emotional and weepy (in a packed train station in Toronto heading home from a business trip) as I type this. I have debated posting. But why not? I know all of you will understand like no one else can.

As you can see from my signature, I am done with all my treatments. What a wonderful thing. I am so grateful...every day! I have been determined not to let cancer rule my thoughts. I am following my exercise efforts. I am on a strict diet of more veggies and less alcohol. I let the little things go. I am getting on with my life. I have also done my best to not let the aches and pains of my healing body worry me. But now...

I'm scared.

There...I said it. Very difficult for me to admit. My fear comes from some pain I have had for ever a month. I have a back ache that is probably nothing more than that: a sore back. It started over a month ago in my lower back. The last couple days the pain is farther up my spine but still very sore around my lower back. Not down my legs, like a sciatica pain. More like a constant, steady ache in my lower, and now middle, back.

Add to all of this that I lost a dear friend this week to this wicked disease. Leah was as special as they come! This video gives you a tiny peek into her spirit. She held my hand and taught me so much. She was my friend first then became a cancer buddy at the "Baylor Spa". I'm so sad.

http://cbs11tv.com/video?id=56287@ktvt.dayport.com

I have scans on Monday. They are regularly scheduled. I have not called my onc about these aches because I knew I was due for scans.

By the way, I wanted my port taken out back in May. My oncologist, who I love, asked me to wait until these August scans. She felt confident they would be fine but is just goosey enough about Murphy's Law that she wants to wait to see scan results. Leave it to me to overanalyze that too.

I'm sorry I am all over the place with this post. But I already feel better. I guess this is just a part of it, right? This fear is a part of my new, boobless normal.

Thank you for being here for me.

Love you all,
Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Decided to post...because I know you will understand...

Maureen, you had a special friend in Leah which comes across in the video so much so, that even the newsreader was emotional. I'm so sorry she passed, she looks like an amazing lady.

As to your back pain, my own experience earlier this year may help inspire you with some confidence I hope. I had the same persistant pain in the same area you do, the bone scan lit up, the mri was inconclusive and the pet/ct was negative! I did'nt know what to think and nor did my onc, it was too small to biopsy so had to wait two months to repeat the mri which thankfully was negative

Weird thing is, I did'nt even notice the pain again once I heard those words lol...

I really hope your own scan will show the same, soon after all this I developed a severe bout of sciatica so maybe that had something to do with the bone scan lighting up, I dont know but just glad it was'nt cancer.

My best wishes to you, I wont say dont be scared because I know you will, but know too that many of us have gone though this with a happy outcome and you may too!!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Jackie07

Maureen,

I've been keeping my port since summer 2007 because the technician always had trouble accessing my veins. My left side was paralyzed one time back in 1990 after my brain surgery and my right side has had 11 lymph nodes out. A year ago I let one of the 'guys' try 'not' to use the port, they ended up have to make a cut on my fingertips to squeeze out the blood. I showed my bandaged fingers to my oncologist a couple of hours later during my routine appointment. He agreed I should keep my port. "Flush it every six weeks," he said. [He had implied in my previous appointment that I might have been too attached to my port because I had kept it for so long...]

My oncologist probably thought that I was worried about recurrence too much to let go of the port. But I only did it for the convinience - so that I wouldn't be poked so many times everytime I had a blood draw. Plus I do want to reserve some useful veins whenever I am having scans that requires dye injection or IV.

The standard practice (I've been told) is to keep the port for one year after completing all the treatment. I know you can't wait to get rid of the 'stuff'. Just thought I would let you know that your doctor was just following the general practice regarding the port situation.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-29-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Mary Anne in TX

Maureen, you've earned the right to be afraid, goofy, whatever comes. I'm hoping your back pain is related to the sadness you feel about your friend...totally don't understand that, but hope it is. Sometimes fear washes over me & I have to have long ridiculous conversations with myself to get through the nuttiness, but it seems to work for me.
I still have my port and am not interested in losing it as yet. The last try to access veins was awful, so I think I'll just keep getting it flushed and hang on to it for a while.
I think you're terrific for sharing how you really feel. Love and prayers, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
BonnieR

Yes, "the new boobless normal"!! We would all react the same way as you, I think. I expect it will always be that way. But we need to remember that even cancer patients get other regular ailments like sciatica (or whatever). Everything just takes on such gravity once we have had cancer.
I have learned to try not to assume too much until I have facts. There will be plenty of time to be upset later, if ever. So don't do it prematurely! Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
CarolynME

Maureen,

I was following Leah's blog postings on Caring Bridge and she seemed like such a wonderful person with a great sense of humor. I sobbed a number of times when reading the postings of the last couple of weeks, and I am really sorry you have lost a great friend. I have to admit I have been feeling fearful too because my platelet counts were too low to receive treatment, so I understand.

You have received great advice from the Tricia, Mary Anne, and Bonnie, and I am praying and praying and praying that all your scans will come back NED.

Love,

Carolyn
4/10 Pet Scan showed another node .07mm positive on the internal mammary area
4/10 ALLTO Trial - randomized for Arm 4 - Taxotere/Carboplatin and Herceptin only (no Tykerb) Began 6 cycles Taxotere/Carboplatin (every three weeks) and Herceptin weekly for eighteen weeks and then every three weeks until the end of April 2011
Radiation to begin 9/2010
CarolynME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Laurel

Ditto to Carolyn's (whose Doggie is darling!) post....praying and praying!

I am so sorry about Leah. Sometimes when we are hurting emotionally our bodies mirror the pain in our hearts. I am hoping this is one of those times.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
lkc Gumby

Smile Re: Decided to post...because I know you will understand...

Hi Maureen. I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.
and I am sorry that you are in such a fearful state. I can tell you that since Chemo I have had back and bone pain that I have never had before " BC"/ of course I worrried and felt somehow ut was realted and the beast was back. The reality is that back pain is very common and not always a bad sign. Sometimes it simply residual effects ot the cytoxic chemo.
After over 5 yrs and clear PETS very yr, I know now that my back pain is simply that.
I hope you are back to a better place soon!

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Jean

Dear Maureen,
Thank you for sharing the video on Leah, what a very special lady and great loss for all.
Is it any wonder you are in the train station feeling weepy? Not at all, as I viewed the tape and thought of you in the train staton filled with busy people going about their business you are in the middle of all this life and dealing with the loss of your friend. As we are among so much life and energy we realize how precious everything is while at the same time dealing with the dx. of cancer.

You just completed treatment and are still adjusting to that. I remember when I completed herceptin I was nervious about not having the treatments.

The only answer is time - time to adjust, feel and heal. Be kind and patient with yourself. Each day then months, and finally a year or two brings peace and confidence back.

Keeping you in my prayers for great news on your scans.

Hugs,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
sassy

Maureen,

Once treatment ends, we all feel a little lost, very vulnerable, and as if we are no longer doing anything to actively fight. So its normal for fears to increase. I went through something similar--only my hip. I wouldn't tell anyone--didn't want to validate the fear. Waited until my next apt., told the onc, went straight to x-ray--and found a bone spur on the upper portion of the hip socket!

The fear will lessen in time. I will keep you in my prayers, praying for clean scans and aches other than cancer.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to come here and voice our thoughts, fears, doubts, troubles and know everyone understands and cares!

Deep breaths, we're right there with you.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
imdavidson

Maureen,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Leah. And I hope that your back pain will prove nothing to be concerned about.

I see that you're in Dallas and so this may be too far away for you to consider, but there's a wonderful program in Southern California through a nonprofit organization called, "Healing Odyssey." Every few months they hold weekend retreats for women who have been through cancer. I went to one while I was going through chemo and the experience helped me cope with many of my fears. To learn more about Healing Odyssey, there is a video on their website.

Best wishes to you.

Idelle
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
SoCalGal

Hey Ms Moons,
Just wanted to weigh in and say that it is very common to think the thoughts you are thinking and to feel the fear you are feeling. Been wrestling with this subject for 14 years.
It's good you wrote & got the thoughts out of "you" and contained for the moment.
Logical action - you will get a scan and get the information. In the meantime, you must have talks with yourself and say, "self, do not torture me with un-necessary worry and doubt!" It's always work to keep the mind from creating more fear than necessary. I'm sure your back is just sore. Regarding your port - if that is not okay with you - have it removed. I'm all about taking control of stuff. I don't know if it's an effort to save you a procedure "just incase" or an insurance thing but I know I'd want it out and wouldn't care.
Hope you are feeling better after reading the great responses...love, hugs, Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Pam P

Maureen -
I am so sorry about your friend. It's a hard loss.

I have a book to recommend. "Dancing in Limbo: Making Sense of Life after Cancer " by Glenna Halvorson-Boyd and Lisa Hunter. I don't know if this book has been sited on this forum before or not. I was given this book by someone at a cancer support group years ago when I was right where you are at today. Having finished all the treatments, scared, not knowing where my life would go next. It is written by 2 survivors, not breast but other kinds of cancers, but I thought they had gotten inside my head and knew exactly what I was thinking and feeling. I know I felt much better after reading the book. I'd forgotten about it, but might have to read it again.

I'm going to be waiting to read about your scan results and praying that they are all clear. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
Emelie B

Hey Ms. Moons- you came to the right place. You know we all understand and have walked a mile in these heavy shoes. As the other ladies have suggested, try to read one of the books or attend a seminar. It is very, very hard to not think that every ache and pain is not cancer, but chances are it is not.
Get your scans so you know for sure what you are dealing with and then you can move forward.
For me it is always about moving forward. I will not let cancer keep me from my life. It is mine and cancer can not take it away from me with fear, treatments, or whatever it throws my way.
Listen it upbeat music, dance in the sun and go forward.
We will all be waiting to hear about your scans.
Praying everything is fine.
Enjoy your weekend with your family and DO NOT WORRY! It never ever helped anything.
Best to you,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
mmoons

Thank you all...so much! You have lifted me up! And given me some great ideas/tools to stay sane. Thank you for the book recommendation, the video, the loving words and for the non-judgemental shoulders for me to lean on.

Each and every one of you is such a blessing to me!

Love,
Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
bejuce

Oh, Maureen, I'm sorry about your friend and your stress and fears. I read a spiritual book recently written by a hospice chaplain that worked on ground zero on 9/11 and later had breast cancer. It is a book of essays beautifully written that helped me on my emotional and spiritual recovery. The title is called "The Voice That Calls You Home" by Andrea Raynor. I heard about the book on NPR and she is great. It may help you deal with your loss.

As for your stress and fears, I had the exact same thing happen to me a
month or ago. In my case, the pain was in my buttocks. I had clear scans and the pain went away. Just something that we have to
live with in our new boobless normal!

Good luck to you, I'll be praying for clear scans to you. I
follow your blog and you always bring a smile to my face with your positive attitude.

Big hugs,

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
Sherryg683

We are like shell shocked veterans. We put so much into fighting the battle that when it's over, we look back and wonder how we made it through it. I was on such a high when I was told I was NED but it only took a few weeks for the realization of what I had been through and all my fears to hit me like a rock. It's normal. I did a lot of crying in the shower, I would get in my pool and go underwater and just scream. It felt better to let these emotions out and I think it's more healty. As far as your aches and pain. Our body has been in a battle and it's going to hurt. Chemo is tough stuff. I hurt in places that I didn't think could hurt for probably 2 years after I finished chemo. When something would quit hurting, something new would pop up. For the first 2 years after chemo, I had scans done every 3 months, nothing ever showed up. Now being an old veteran of this, I don't freak out over every ache and pain anymore. There's life after this war, you just gotta take it a day at a time and deal with it the way that is most natural to you...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
Sherryg683

I just want to add, I also lost several people very close to me of cancer, while going through this. My brother and I was diagnosed a month apart. He with melanoma. We often did chemo together. He died 2 years later,I was with him when he passed. It was so stressful and heartbreaking to watch him deteriorate while I was getting better. It still hurts so bad when I think of it. He told me something once it was "I prayed to God that he not take the both of us, mom couldn't take losing us both". Now he also said that he didn't volunteer to be the one to go..lol. I often think that maybe God did listen to his prayers and that may be one of the reasons I'm here. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, she sounded like a wonderful person. I like to believe my brother is watching over me as I'm sure your friend is now....sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
ElaineM

Wink Re: Decided to post...because I know you will understand...

I am sorry to hear about Leah. I am sorry you have been feeling a little down. That is normal under the circumstances. We all get moments or days when grief or worry about our health interfere with our normal routine. Be extra good to yourself during those times. Try to enjoy the weekend. Try not to think about the upcoming scans. I have my fingers crossed for good scan results. Take good care of yourself.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote