HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
*_Cathy_*

Hello to All- I have two questions. 1) Do you still have to get a mammogram is you had a recent catscan and petscan?
2) My husband bought some vitamins through the mail. They are Advanced Omega-3 Fish Oil---650mg EPA---500mgDHA Are any of you taking this. I eat hardly any fish. Also, are you taking calcium pills? (I guess that's three questions) Thanks so much for your help! God Bless You All- Cathy
Old 08-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Kristen

Hi Cathy,
I am not familiar with your history, or if you are on chemo or past.

I would discuss with your surgeon if she/he still wants you to get a Mammogram with a recent PET or CT scan. My knowledge is a PET/CT only picks up 1mm so if it's smaller than that, yes you might want to get one.
Vitamins, I don't know about the specific ones you are talking about, if you are on chemo, please discuss them with your onc. If not on chemo, I think it's fair game? Vit C, My onc, put me on Falsodex because she didn't like what chemo does to young bones and I am osteopenia, I take calcium citrate and Vitamin D along with it.
I am sure Al will get on here, he seems to be a guru about vitamins.
Hope some of this helps. Take Care and Best to you, K
Old 08-27-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Gina

Hi, I am certainly no guru, but I always advise Her-2 folks NOT to take FREE calcium...it is a long complex story but has to do with the way calcium is absorbed in the gut. You can look it up on the internet under calcium magnesium homeostasis to find the ins and outs...but basically, no matter how much calcium you down --say as in a pill--the only part that will presumably make it into your system will be equal to the amount of magnesium you have there already. Meaning, as American diets anyway are traditionally mag poor, lets say you have a whopping 25 mg of Magnesium in your gut...guess what..of say 1500mg of that calcium pill you just took...only 25 mg will go through the lining of the gut and into your bloodstream...all this calcium crockery just angers me. If you want to build your bones, increase your magnesium intake. We get plenty of natural calcium from almost everything from orange juice to spinach...not to even mention dairy and fish with bones. Also, magnesium as well as Co-Q10 will protect the heart, which is important while on Herceptin...there is a lot to learn regarding supplements and the story changes every other day, so in the end we must fend for ourselves. I think your husband did some good research though...my regimen contains similar things...I take A &D in fish oil tab, evening primrose, a wee bit of kelp, lots of PLAIN MAGNESIUM, olive leaf (oleic acid rich...and anti viral, anti bacteria and anti fungal...all in one little capsule) and zinc. I also take a good multi that does not have hardly any calcium in it..hard to find...but take the extra mag just in case...plus Magnesium is necessary for more than 300 enzymatic functions throughout your body and helps the heart muscle relax and other muscles as well and is great to help you get to sleep...and sleep deep. Best bet is to start somewhere and then add or subtract things until you find the regimen best suited to your own chemistry...said "regimen" will give you good energy, long deep sleep, and keep you in general good health while fighting her-2...best of luck, Gina