HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
*_Cheryl_*

Like many others who have posted, I am attempting to make an educated decision about receiving herceptin at this time. I'm almost 2 1/2 years post dx and chemo. Initial dx was Stage 2b w/ 1 node +. Have been NED since surgery. I'd like to get an opinion from a her2neu expert in So. CA. Anyone have specific names out of UCLA, City of Hope, or San Diego?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
LANI

Her2 expert out of UCLA (pradtices out of Santa Monica Hospital affiliate, I think) is Mark Pegram who has worked many years with Dennis Slamon, who first described her2neu and was instrumental in the discovery of herceptin. Dr. Slamon no longer sees patients, but refers patients to see Dr. Pegram.

The oncologists have gotten together and come up with a "common policy" since there is no time to come up with a Clinical trial as to what to do with people already started on, in the middle of, or already finished with treatment, so don't expect to hear anythiing much different than the "common dogma"--but perhaps he will be thoughtful. The reason for this "common policy" is that NOONE REALLY KNOWS and it is not practical to start a trial now to find out.

So...Good luck!

Lani
Old 07-13-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Easilyannoyed

You might also want to check out The Angeles Clinic in Santa Monica. In particular, Dr. Silvana Martino.

"She is presently serving a four-year term as a member of the Oncology Drugs Advisory Committee (ODAC) for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

In addition to her practice and research responsibilities, Dr. Martino spends a significant amount of time educating the public about early breast cancer detection and breast cancer treatment options. She is the co-author of over 150 scientific publications and abstracts on breast cancer. Dr. Martino was the 1997 recipient of the Philips Medical of Public Service award, has been listed in The Best Doctors in America in 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2002. She speaks throughout the nation on breast cancer-related topics."

Most of the Clinic's doctors are affliated with Saint John's in Santa Monica.