HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
*_Christine MH_*

Hello everybody,

Just to remind everyone: I was treated for primary BC starting in October 2003: 6 rounds of FEC surgery (still 9/18 nodes with vascular invasion, argh) 4 rounds taxotere, radiotherapy. No signs of recurrence yet. Heard about the results of the HERA trial and went to see onc in May and to my surprise he suggested that since, in his words, I don't have a single thing going for me as far as this cancer is concerned, a year of herceptin would be advisable even though it is a bit late. He let slip that I am his highest risk patient. Oh joy. Live in UK where herceptin is widely not available yet for early BC and have to pay out of pocket, but oncologist found a supplier and I will be having herceptin three-weekly, with the first two sessions in the hospital, but after that a nurse will come to give me the herceptin at home. The whole thing has taken forever to set up.

The thing is that I rather liked having all that medical support staff around when I had chemo in the hospital. It made me feel really safe.

Has anybody else out there had herceptin at home?

Best wishes,

Christine MH
Old 09-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Sandy H.

I have not known of anyone to get it at home. I would love to get mine at home as I find that the oncology department can be very busy and hectic at times. Some days I just don't want to be there as I prefer it quiet. I get tired just watching the nurses and doctors hurrying trying to get every thing done. That is only me and we are all so different and yet experience the same emotional rollar coaster with this disease. Good luck with your Herceptin. I am in the U.S. so makes a difference. Sandy
Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
jjfromcanada

I too am late to Herceptin (chemo completed in Nov 2002) and I have a poor prognosis (2 tumours, largest 4.5 cm, ER/PR-, 4 positive nodes and Grade III) and my onc feels it is my best hope.

When I was searching around trying to get it prescribed, my surgeon recommended I look into home care. There is only one private clinic in Ontario which will infuse it.

I ultimately went with the clinic, but the home care person I spoke to felt her nurses were well-trained and capable of dealing with potential problems. She did insist though that I have the first one with a doc present in case I had a severe reaction. The reason I selected the clinic was partly due to the idea that I wanted to support the availability of this kind of care here. Last year my only choice would have been to go to the States.

It certainly is convenient and if you tolerate it well, and are sure the nurse providing the infusion has the appropriate drugs to help with an alergic reaction, try it. I imagine, if you feel uncomfortable you can change your mind and go to a clinic for future doses.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Gina

I'm in the states and oh, so fortunate to be able to walk to the onc's office where I get the herceptin. Usually, two nurses, at least, are involved as one needs to be there to double check dosing etc., by law, here, I guess. After the first dose, so long as you don't have any bad reactions, I would say, GO FOR IT...how nice to have them come to you..smile...wait till I suggest my onc start making house calls at my next appointment hee hee hee...she will throw me out of her office so fast, she won't be able to stick me for my blood...smile... Of course, I always enjoy my time onsite as I get to meet many folks in a similar circumstance as they try to not mix the herceptin patients with the other folks getting chemo, if they can help it--something about cross-contamination or something...but I think this is just a pre-caution. I always enjoy getting my infusion as it is painless and I feel fine until about 4 to 6 hours later...then, it "hits" me as it were. When the fever elevates and the flu-like pain sets in, I just try to go to sleep...usually the fever will break at least by the morning after and though I might feel a bit tired, I can get through the day after ok. By taking it at home, you will avoid unnecessary exposure to nosocomial infections and if you should feel a bit dreary afterwards, can curl up in your own bed and get some shut-eye. Best of luck to you...herceptin is really a good drug. Take care, Gina