HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
*_Christine MH_*

Hello everybody,

In January, articles appeared on the her2support website about Dr. Javier Menendez discovering that oleic acid (found in olive oil) helped herceptin work at the cell level. I was curious if this has worked in people, in part because there was also a discovery that a low-fat diet aided survival in ER-negative women with primary BC, or at least in node-negative ones (they didn't include node-negative women in the experiment) and I want to get the balance right. I was wondering if anybody had experienced anything unusual after using more oleic acid, such as an unexplained shrinkage of secondaries.

Best wishes,

Christine MH
Old 07-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
al from canada

Hi Christine,

I can't respond to your rely other than: Linda is taking Oleic acid and has been for over a year and has beat the odds and Onc's predictions as she is still alive and doing well. (that's a long sentance)

Regards,
Al
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
*_Cathy_*

Hi Christine and Al - How much olive oil do you need to take? We use it in our cooking, but do you take more? God Bless- Cathy
Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
StephN

Hello -
I am using more high quality olive oil than ever, and seem to have all my mets under good control (as in nonexistent!). Whether this is somehow due to the synergy reported with herceptin and olive oil or not, I will keep it up as I am enjoying the increased use of this and less butter.

I am user I ingest more than a tablespoon per day including all meals. Probably more in the summer time as we eat more salad or have it with a variety of the heirloom tomatoes I buy at the farmer's market.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
eric

StephN, can you be more specific as to what you take and how much?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
Laurie S

eric, I also use alot of olive oil. Some of the ways that I use it is as a salad dressing. I mix a tbl. of olive oil with 1/2 tbl of balsamic vinegar and toss it with the salad. I saute vegetables with a tbl. of oil. I even use olive oil when Im making eggs, french toast, etc. for my family and I. I toss pasta with olive oil and a little parmesan cheese. I marinade fish or chicken with olive oil mixed with some spices, or even just brush some on it before grilling or broiling it. Whenever a recipe calls for vegetable oil, I substitute olive oil. (except for baking cookies,cakes etc.) I buy organic mid priced brands at the health food store.
Hope this helps Laurie
Old 07-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
eric

Laurie, it does help. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Roz

Hi, I'm taking a teaspoon full of extra virgin olive oil morning and night. No idea of the dosage required, but 10mls per day can't possibly make you fat, surely?? Take care Roz