HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
*_DonnaLee_*

Hi all,

My mom really needs your advice on something. She has been on herceptin since late January (of this year) for Breast Cancer that spread to the bones in her back and her ribs. She had radiation in November 2004 , which made her very ill and landed her in the hospital for 22 days. She lost alot of weight, she is now about 94 lbs and she is 5"5 . She had her right breast removed in the fall of 2003 and an expander was put in at the same time for reconstruction. But before she could have the implant put in we found out that the breast cancer had spread. Last week her Onc. said she is doing very well and if she wanted to have the implant put in , now would be a good time, thier is no cancer in that area. She just dosen't know what to do. First of all she is ery thin as I said . Second she is afraid that having the implant put in and being opened up will cause the cancer to begin spreading agaiin and more rapidly (the air hitting it and all). She dosen't know if she should just have the expander removedand wait to have implant put in after she has gained some weight. Or have the implant put in now while Dr saya all is ok. Or just leave well enough alone?My mother is avery nervous person, she has to take Xanax everyday just to function. She watched both her parents die of cancer(back in the 70's)She was curious if anyone here had to deal with a similar situation? Also any advice or information you mave have would be appreciated and welcomed. Thank You and God Bless !
My e-mail is HighPockets803@aol.com if you wish to e-mail me.

Donna
Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Lisa

Thank you for supporting your mother.

First, let me say that surgery does not cause cancer to spread. If all it took for the disease to spread was air, we'd surely have a cure by now.

Second, the decision to have the implant put in is a very personal decision. Remember that if her weight continues to vary, she will always have one breast that's a different size from her other one.

Personally, I can't imagine having more surgeries than I need. Although I pray her mets are over, more than likely they aren't. The road ahead may be tough enough without dealing with an implant.

I don't know how large her breast is, but wearing a form--or even going breast-free-- is not such a big deal. Remind her that she's beautiful with only 1 breast.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
madubois63

Donna - I answered this question on the"other" board, but just in case you did not see that I will post my answer to you here.

I am glad your mom is doing well enough now to be thinking about an implant. I did not have implants, so I can't give you any advice there; but I would like to say that I think she should wait until she has gained some weight and is stronger. Several months ago, I was scheduled to have my ovaries removed. Everything was good to go. My Gynecologist, my oncologist, my thoracic surgeon and pulmonary doctor all gave me clearance for the surgery. I did the pre-admission testing. My mom drove me to the hospital. I put on the stupid nightgown. The nurses put the IV in me. They were ready to wheel me in to the operating room. Then the anesthesiologist came in and refused to put me under because I had a small plural effusion (we all knew about this). The surgery was canceled right there and then! Mind you, this happened not once but twice!! I decided to not have the surgery and now get a shot to solve the problem. My point being...your mom's doctor may think she is all set to go, but it is all in the hands of the anesthesiologist that doesn't know your mom. He will see a 5'5" woman with medical problems that is way too thin. This is just my opinion and of course, her doctor has the best answers for you and your mom, but I truly believe your mom will do better if you can fatten her up. Good luck and God bless you and your mom.

Maryann
Stage IV IBC 1/00
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol Tamoxifen
MRM 24nod/5+ Her2+
Rads 32x
Stage IV Mets to lung/liver/nodes 10/04
video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) surgery w/pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carboplaten Femera Lupron
4/26/05 NED
Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
*_denise99_*

I agree with the other ladies. Your Mom should gain some weight and not be in a hurry. I am also stage 4, but when my liver showed as NED, I opted for reconstruction. All went well, even with my radiated side, but when I had implant surgery, I got an immediate staph infection in the incision of my radiated side. After 2 1/2 months on antibiotics, I lost the implant. Now I have to wait for a couple of months to heal, and then I will try for a LAT flap. But that is a lot of surgeries, and if your Mom has any complications, she will have a harder time fighting off the possible infection.
My chest wall on the radiated side was damaged by the rads, and my PS had to cut away a lot of the muscle. I would think that she should probably just keep the expander in for as long as possible, as I don't know if she would be able to be re-expanded. When I had my implant removed, my skin shrunk back to me being flat again, so the LAT flap is now my only option. That is a much harder operation than the exchange to implants.
Good luck to you and your Mom,
Denise in PA
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
*_DonnaLee_*

Thank You and God Bless you all for your advice, my mom agrees that she should wait untill she is stronger and has gained some weight. She was leaning that way anyway. Thank you again , I will let you all know how she is doing . God Bless!