HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
*_Cathy_*

If anyone here has chest wall lymphedema, could you please describe what it feels like? I have lymphedema in my left arm and sometimes the left side of my upper chest hurts and feels swollen. After I massage it, it goes down and feels better. Would the inflammation show up on a petscan and if so, how could they tell it apart from cancer? Thanks to All- Cathy
Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
*_JoAnn_*

You didn't say how long it's been since your arm lymphedema started. You should certainly mention it to your onc as it could be that something else is going on that triggered it. However:

I have lymphedema in my rt arm and chest and, sometimes, a pocket under my rt shoulder blade. I have no idea whether it would show on a PET scan--it's not actually inflammation, but fluid) but I know if it feels like yours does (mine did), and goes down when you massage it out it is lymphedema. The PT told me it is often the first sign of arm lymphedema and indeed I had the chest/back sx a long time before the arm swelling developed. (And my oh-so-'good' plastic surgeon, a technical wonder but with all the interpersonal skills of a procupine, didn't have the faintest idea what was going on--) I had great trouble wearing any kind of a bra as it seemed to worsen the chest/back symptoms; finally found a camisole works best and recently, on another site, found out about the NancyGanz camisole, "What a Lift" (#3310, I think--) which has 'control' built in--slims the midriff nicely, gives a nice smooth shape, and is comfortable. Wearing this has pretty much controlled the chest/back problem--the snug fit seems to give constant 'massage', as it moves the skin every time I move. I wish it were a little fancier (some lace, a slightly lower cut) but believe me, I'm not complaining!! There is also a regular support garment for the chest made of the sleeve material that you can get through your PT but I haven't needed that.

Hope this helps--good luck! Jo