HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
*_celina_*

My sister finished the last of her 10 WBR a week ago Thursday. She was feeling surprisingly well...much less fatigue then we had anticipated. Two days ago, almost a week after the last treatment, she feels incrediably weak. She can barely walk up a short flight of stairs. She said that it feels as though her "legs are giving out". For those who have had WBR, did symptims start after the treatment? How long did it last? Did you have similiar symptoms as those I've described?
I want to be able to call her and reasure her that this is normal, (if there is a normal when it comes to cancer treatment!). Thanks in advance,
Celina
Old 02-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Christine

Celina
Your sisters fatigue is normal to a certain extent. The trick for getting your strength back is to eat and drink often high nutritive value snacks often. She also needs to take frequent naps whenever this overwhelming fatigue occurs. Her legs being weak is temporary.
I was told before my WBR that the well nourished patient under the stress of brain radiation is the best survivor. Good Luck

HUGS
Christine
Old 02-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Kitty D

Celina,

I am sure your sister was on steroids during this treatment and they will give you a false sense of energy. I know during my 15 wbr I felt fine but noticed I was more tired when they started lowering the dose of Decadron. A week later I had my stereotactic brain surgery and they gave me a large dose via IV of Decadron the day of the surgery and increased my daily dose for a few days, then lowered it for another week. Another thing is that if the steroid dose is too high it can make your limbs feel very heavy - something to check out.

I think what Christine said is very important too - good nutrition is vital to one getting through treatment. Exercise is proving to be as important as well - even if it is limited to walking around.

I'm sure your sister will be back to normal very soon.

Kitty
Old 02-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
*_celina_*

Thanks, Kitty and Christine...I read the posts to her. I know it made it feel better knowing others have been though it. We dicussed her eating habits, which by the way, are very good. She doesn't eat large meals, but has very nutritious snacks thoughout the day...no meat and all organic. The decadron dosage is slowly being reduced and she should be completely off of it within a week.
Happy healing to all,
celina
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
StephN

Hi Celina -
You continue to be a source of strength and information for your sister. You really touch my heart this way!

AS for getting off the Decadron - I can speak from experience being off of them now for a little over 2 weeks. What a DIFFERENCE! I am still a little tired and have the weakness in my legs, but not as bad.
My digestion and elimination are back to normal (without needed a stomach acid blocker), my taste buds are almost back to normal, and the puffiness is going down a lot by now.

Your sister does need protein to rebuild the muscle tissue that the drug ate away. Make sure she gets eggs and milk with acidophilus - this kind of milk will add back some enzymes for good digestion she needs. I noticed a difference when I got the idea to get some.

Hope she will have good results from the WBR - she will be in my thoughts and prayers.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote