HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Les

melanoma?

Hi, I have not been around much lately my computer got a virus and is being fixed so I'm borrowing a friends. I am a stage 1 4.5 year survivor and last week I had a spot on my cheek biopsied and it came back .9 mm melanoma ,Dr said this is borderline between stages and is going to send me to an ent. dr I called my onc and have not heard back because he didn't get the path report yet.I will probably have to have more of the area removed and sentinal node biopsy. Has anyone had this? I also live on the cape and am thinking of going to Boston Dana Farber Does anyone have a Dr there that they like?
Thanks Leslie
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
dhealey

Leslie,
My son-in-law was diagnosised last Oct. with stage III melanoma it has spread to the sentinle node in his leg. He first found a mole on the inside of his foot where it hasn't been exposed to the sun. His was very deep and into the 3rd layer of skin. Since then they have found several on his back and chest all were deep and stage 3. The lymph node in his leg has been removed and he now suffers from lymphedema. They first treated him with IV interferon every day for 1 month and felt that would be enough. He finished up in January and in Feburary 3 more moles showed up on his chest all positive for melanoma. He is now giving himself interferon injections 3 times a week for ll months. We are trying to get him into 2 different clinical trials in MD. One is using the drug Gleevec and another is using some kind if immuno therapy. If the melanoma is caught early and only on the top layer of skin, your chances are very good for cure rate. Unless they come up with something new, my son-in-law has about 5-7 years. He is only 35. This has been so devastating to me. I am constantly researching alternate treatments or trials to get him into. He went to John Hopkins and Pittsburg for second opinions. He lives in Lancaster, PA. Recently they have had success with treating a 79 year old woman with end stage melanoma with the drug Gleevec. Her tumors started strinking after being on the drug only 2 weeks. She is being treated in Boston. I believe a Dana Farber. Article was published in the AMA Medicle Journal in April of this year. Best of luck to you.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Les

Hi Debbie I am so sorry that you and your son have so much to deal with. My daughter found a report on the drudge web site that talked about a man being treated with his own Tcells and having success, have you heard of this?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
dhealey

Les,Yes I have heard of this trial. They cloned the man's Tcells and put them back into his body, it did put him into remission. They tried this on 9 patients total and he was the only one to respond. The article was very interesting and I have passed this along to my son-in-law. Thanks so much. Please let me know the outcome of your melanoma. It sounds like it it is very small. Be sure they do a whole body check for other areas.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Les

hi just got back from my onc.The path report said T1b with a clark scale of 4 not so good there. so the decision has to be made .more surgery and sentinal node this is on my cheek so do I have surgery here on the cape or try to go to boston and What hospital Mass General or Dana Farber any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
chrisy

I have no expertise with melanoma, but my experience with BC says get a second opinion, quickly, from whoever is the best. As a first step, ask your current doctor who he/she would recommend, who he would send a family member to.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
kcherub

Ugh. I wish I had more info for you (and me). I just had a scary looking thing cut off this afternoon. The doctor is a friend's husband, and he looked a little concerned. He said it would take a week or so to get the results, but that they would only call if it was "bad".

Good luck, and keep us updated when you can.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
dberg

I had a very benign looking thing removed on my leg earlier this year, by my choice, and it ended up being melanoma. My dermatologist was not impressed, but I followed the "ABCD" and insisted it be removed. Thank goodness it was just in situ. I had Mohs surgery, which left a big honking scar on my leg, but after reconstruction, it's nothing!
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Gerri

Hi Les,

In 1993 I was diagnosed with melanoma on my arm - Clark's level III and Breslow thickness 1.7 mm. I had additional surgery with a 2 cm clearance from the original biopsy excision just to make sure the margins were clear. My surgeon did not feel it was necessary to do a biopsy of my nodes. I am happy to report that I have had no further problems. I have however had all three types of skin cancers removed through the years so I try to keep an eye out for any changes in my skin or numerous moles.

A good friend of mine (also a bc survivor) had a melanoma removed from her face several years prior to her bc dx. She had a plastic surgeon do the surgery (it was quite extensive) and he did a wonderful job. You would never know she had surgery done on her face. She has not had any additional problems related to the melanoma. I have always wondered if there was a connection between bc and melanoma. I tested negative for BRCA 1 & 2.

Good luck with all of this. I know it is pretty scary but I hope I have helped in some small way.

All my best,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Les

Thank you all I will keep you posted I am so grateful for this website. I found the report tonight from 2005 when I had this same spot biopsied and it came back as nothing I wish that it had been removed then and I wouldn't be here today.The Dr that removed the lesion is a plastic surgeon and very well respected I just don't know anything about the ENT he wants to have help him and how often they do this type of surgery . so many questions Leslie
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
weezie1053

Gerri,

Last year, I had the BRACA gene tests, and my tests were negative. The Genetic Counselor, however, diagnosed me as "high risk" for recurrence due to my family history of both melanoma (maternal grandmother) and brother's prostate cancer. My grandmother had both BC and Melanoma; however, they say she died as a result of the Melanoma which was actually diagnosed first. This was, of course many years ago (1972). I lost both my grandmother and my mother at the young age of 19. Thank goodness I was blessed with older sisters who took me under their wings. As a result, I have an annual checkup with the dermatologist at UVA.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote