HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
dberg

breast cancer and melanoma

I had a very benign looking freckle removed on my leg, at my insistence because it grew so quickly. I just got the message from my PCM that it is melanoma in situ. I was completely dumbfounded because didn't look anything like the pictures of melanoma that you see in textbooks. Has anyone else experienced this?

I just googled breast cancer and melanoma and apparently there is a connection.
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Montana

So glad to see this post. I have had the same diagnosis this week, melanoma in situ (stage 0) on the lower leg. Mine passed the A, B, C, & D criteria so I had it checked. I also have a squamous cell on one hand. I've had many (approx. 20) basal cells removed, but this is my first melanoma. Excisions are scheduled for next week.

What exactly IS the connection? Pre-breast cancer was all ordinary basal cell. Are my cells running amouk....basal cell carcinoma, DCIS, IDC, squamous cell and now the melanoma? What's next?
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Soccermom

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...39/ai_n6114053

additionally,

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/ar...h=09&year=2004

Hoep these articles are helpful...
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Montana

Maria, thanks for the interesting links.
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Gerri

This is of great interest to me. I had a melanoma removed over 12 years ago and have always wondered if there was a connection between the two - I've actually had all three types of skin cancer removed through the years.

Thanks for posting this. It is just the push I needed to make that appointment with the dermatologist for a thorough exam - long overdue!

All my best,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Lolly

Yikes, I'm scheduled to see my dermatologist next week for a weird looking freckle on my lip of all things. I think it's cancer of course, but hoping not. Didn't know about the BC/Melanoma connection, but I do know that some of the newest clinical trials for new melanoma are focusing on the immune system. Having any type of cancer and going through chemo puts our immune systems at a disadvantage if melanoma is immune disfunction related.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Stephanie

I've read that melanoma can be caused by the BRCA gene, so that's one place where there's a connection with breast cancer. I'd be interested if they're also seeing melanomas in bc patients who are not BRCA carriers, though.

Mom:

dx 2002 age 62
Stage IIIB, triple positive
FACx6, tamoxifen
2004 Stage IV, started Herceptin
mets to pleura, lungs, bone
tried Arimedex, Faslodex, Zometa, Navelbine, Taxol, Taxotere, Gemzar, Carboplatin, Abraxane, Xeloda
June 2007 new mets to nodes and pericardiam
Switched from Xeloda/Herceptin to Xeloda/Tykerb
September 2007 Failed X/T. Switched back to Xeloda/Herceptin, added Gemzar
Jan 2008 Taxol/Tykerb
Feb 2008 Tykerb as a single agent

Me:

dx 2007 age 38
Stage IIA pleomorphic ILC ER/PR + HER2 -
FACx6, tamoxifen
Mom to 2, ages 6 and 9

Trying to find a new hobby besides going to the cancer center.
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Yorkiegirl

Now all this really scares me, as I have Dr. appt on Monday in reference to a raised mole, that is red/brown looking on my arm. It feels like it has knot underneath it. So I guess I will see what they will do with it.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
dhealey

I recently had a rather large irregular edged freckle removed from my chest near my port at my onc's insistance and it was melanoma in situ. This arose about 4 months after I finished chemo. And yes there is a corralation with breast cancer and melanoma.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Karen W

I recently went to my derm and had her give me a skin cancer check. I am going to do this annually. I didn't realize there was a connection between bc and melanoma.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Lida

breast cancer and melanoma

I had an early melanoma removed from my leg a few years ago. My dermatologist believes there is a genetic connection between breast cancer and melanoma. He has me do monthly skin exams, sees me periodically for skin exams and asked me to have my first degree relatives come in for a skin exam. If melanoma is caught early (pre-melanoma or early stage -I was stage 1) , it can be removed with very high cure rates. Lida
Lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Kim in CA

Haven't been diagnosed with a melanoma yet, but have had many basal cells and two squamous cells removed recently. Having grown up in Southern Calif. and spent way too many summers trying to tan my fair freckle faced skin, I fear it is only a matter of time for the melanomas.

It hardly seems fair that we get to deal with bc and get all cut up with that, (at least those scars are hidden) but now I'm having to deal with scars on my face, neck and legs from the skin cancers. It's the PITTS!

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
harrie

Since I am a BRCA2 carrier, I am told my risk of melanoma is a bit elevated therefore annual skin exams by a dermatoligist is recommended.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Kimberly Lewis

brca too..

Yes, i read about the connection and visited a dermatologist last year. Didn't have melanoma but did have squamous and beginner stuff removed. Now I go every 6 months. Wow, another Dr. to visit... can't believe it!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
weezie1053

I saw a genetic counselor who educated me on the genetics of melanoma and BC. My maternal grandmother had melanoma which spread to her brain. She later was diagnosed with BC, but she died from the melanoma. My brother also has prostrate cancer which is another genetic red flag.

My mother died of leukimia @ age 57, and my father died of colon cancer. Neither of which are known to be genetically linked to the BC. Go figure...

I too have annual exams by the dermatologist. Isn't it amazing that some of us procrastinated (guilty!) on having annual mammos, but now, we seek out the best of the physicians to check us up one side and down the other.
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
SherriT

I haven't posted in quite some time--trying to get back to a bit of "normalcy" but you got me on this thread. Very interesting.

For YEARS I had a large "mole" (so I always called it) on my lower leg/ankle area. In 2004 I had a dermatologist look at. He felt it looked fine but as a precaution biopsied it. The test results came back 'normal' but I decided I would remove it anyways (as a precaution because it was large--about 1/2 inch in size). Of course time got away from me (partly because in the back of my head I thought everything was "normal") I didn't get around to having it removed. Then in December of 2005 I was diagnosed with IBC. I had chemo/surgery/radiation) and figured I'd try to "start over with a clean slate" and got the mole removed too. Test results came back as an early stage melanoma. Hard to believe that a mole that had been there for so many years had, in less than two years, changed from being "normal" into a "melanoma". I would be interested to know the connection between the two--and what the chances are for either of them ever coming back. Unfortunately this seems to be just one more 'nasty' to worry about. Like we don't all have enough to deal with.

Take care everyone.
SherriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Beverly

Exclamation Breast CA and skin CA link

Wow, I am finding so much more in this support group than I expected. I am fair, freckled and a Florida native, so precancer and basal cell skin cancers at 53 (had my first at about 30) are not too alarming. But in 2006, during a solid year of chemo of various types, I noticed a tiny spot at the outside edge of my eyebrow that came and went. I was not in good enough immunity shape to even have it biopsied. When my white count returned to normal in mid-2007, I had it checked and it was squamous cell, requiring a huge area of excision using MOHS surgery.

My oncologist and dermatologist denied a link between breast cancer or chemotherapy and skin cancer, yet my own research and the reported experiences here tell me that there is something there. I will remain vigilant. It helps that my dermatoligist has me on 4 month checkups-so the appointment is already made.

1999 - Recurrence in same breast. Estrogen+, tumor with invasive and non-invasive components. Mastectomy w/TRAM flap reconstruction, chemo Adriamycin/Cytoxan.
Port malfunction caused vascular damage, chemo discontinued.

Oct 2005 - recurrence at edge of TRAM flap. Biopsy showed aggressive HER2+++ tumor with lymph and vascular invasion. Chemo regimen of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, Dec to May 2006.

May 2006 - reversal of Tram flap reconstruction (radical mastectomy). Cancer cells still active. DNA analysis resulting in 2nd chemo regimen of Epirubycin/Cytoxan (Herceptintemporarily withheld) from June to Sept 2006. Herceptin resumed in Sept 06, started Femara.

PET scans negative until Oct 07
MUGA tests 63-65.
Extravasation of port diagnosed Jan08.
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Jackie07

My neurosurgeon had told me in 2003 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer that "people who have one type of cancer are more likely to have another type of cancer." I guess we are just predisposed to different kinds of illnesses because of either gene defects or 'weak' genes. I was born premature and was in the incubator for several months before I went home. I am sure it had something to do with my brain tumor and breast cancer since none of my 3 older brothers and 2 older sisters have had any health problems like mine.

But they don't have as exciting a life as mine, either. And I am the only one that truely have 'a connection to God'. I have to. Because Faith is the only thing I can depend on. I praised God when I got my first brain tumor diagnosis because that explained why I had come to this country and stayed - because I had a life-long brain tumor to take care of (like I had known it beforehand I praised God when I got my first breast cancer - it was during my 2nd unemployment. What better time to take care of a life-threatening illness? And the recurrence - how fortunate that I had found it and got it treated just in time (the surgeon had only a .5 mm
margin from my r. pectoralis muscle.)

I had whole bunch 'keratosis' on my back after the infertility treatment in 1998. The dermatologist took them off out of my insistence because I read somewhere that they could turn into cancer. Thanks for sharing, now I am going to be more diligent.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
R.B.

There are several trials suggesting COX2 omega 6 products including PGE2 are a factor in BC. It is also reported to be a factor in melanoma.

Reducing omega six intake and increasing long chain omega three (EPA and DHA) is reported to assist in reducing PGE2 [Omega 3 fatty acids in clinical nutrition - Heller and Koch]

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...&highlight=cox

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cg...tract/61/1/303

Expression of Cyclooxygenase 2 in Human Malignant Melanoma
Carsten Denkert, Martin Köbel, Stefan Berger, Antje Siegert, Anja Leclere, Uwe Trefzer and Steffen Hauptmann1

Institute of Pathology [C. D., M. K., S. B., A. S., A. L., S. H.] and Department of Dermatology and Allergy [U. T.], Charité Hospital, D-10117 Berlin, Germany

"All melanoma cell lines produced prostaglandin (PG) E2 between 468 and 3500 pg/ml as determined by ELISA. Treatment with NS-398 (50 µM), a specific inhibitor of COX-2, suppressed PGE2 production of all melanoma cell lines by 50–96%. The IC50 for inhibition of PGE2 production by NS-398 was determined as 4 µM, indicating that NS-398 acts via inhibition of the COX-2 isoenzyme. We could show that proliferation of melanoma cell lines was not influenced by treatment with NS-398 in concentrations up to 100 µM. However, NS-398 reduced Matrigel invasion of all five malignant melanoma cell lines by 50–68%. Our results indicate that COX-2 is expressed in malignant melanomas and may be involved in regulation of melanoma invasion. It remains to be investigated whether selective inhibitors of COX-2 might be useful for prevention or treatment of malignant melanoma."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote