HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
weezie1053

Smile Hello Again and Thank You

After almost 2 years of being treated by my Oncologist, he is moving on to another hospital. He is a Fellow, and he is completing his Fellowship. I had a mammo in Feb, and I am scheduled for a MRI in Aug. Our visit will actually be more of a social visit as it is time for both of us to move on. I am really nervous as he has been everything I could have hoped for in a physician. He gave me his email address, and he made him accessible to every question or concern I ever had. I am really apprehensive about seeing a new Oncologist. For 2 years I have travelled 1 hr 45 minutes because it felt like I was in the right place. I am so nervous about this change because he was always there. Don't know why I am writing about this...I guess because I can write anything here. I have been off the boards for a while. Since my recovery, I have thrown myself back into my job and raising my grandson. I am also happy to report my daughter successfully completed rehab in Sept, lived in a recovery home
for 6 months, and she continues to work her recovery. I will continue to raise my grandson because she needs to concentrate on her recovery which will be ongoing.

I have no more lingering affects of Neuropathy. My Onc once told me I was the textbook for side affects. I am on weight watchers, and I am slowly losing the added "steroid weight." I have a full head of hair with highlights. Nails are improving thanks to all of the good advice, including tea tree oil. (Need to update my photo...ugh!) My energy is increasing, and I can once again enjoy working in the yard.Hard to believe so much has happened. I am actually in a better place having "survived through it all."

I am working with our local health care provider and a national restaurant for the third annual "Postively Pink Parade" which will be held at the mall I manage in late September. Survivors will march one lap around the perimeter of the road, led by a local high school marching band, dressed in the wildest pink outfits imaginably possible. The proceeds from the sale of "pink" bagels from 4 of their restaurants during the month of October will go to the "Every Woman's Life" program which provides breast cancer screening for women who cannot afford the tests. The mall will challenge the merchants to decorate and "think pink." It is time for me to pay it back to increase BC awareness. I feel blessed to be on this committee and to make a difference.

To the newbies, hang in there. Fight the fight. This website is the most helpful antedote I ever found for my recovery.

Just wanted to say hello and let you all know that I think of you gals often even though I may not be as active as I once was. The Journey was doable knowing there were others who had walked in my shoes and were willing to help me get through the darkest days. God bless you all and I'll try and not tp be a stranger to this site.

Louise

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Louise! So glad to hear from you. It must be scary to shift to a new onc. and another location. But you had him when you needed him most!
You sound so good and I'm so very excited to hear about your daughter. What a blessing and what a girl! She and her son are so lucky to have you as their role model and mentor. God bless and keep us posted. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
schoolteacher

Louise,

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am a newbie since February.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Mary Jo

Hi Louise,

I, too, am so happy to hear from you and to hear how well you are doing. Praise God. I also was happy and thank God that your daughter is doing well. May God keep her on the road of recovery and may her spirit be filled with love and peace as she walks forward in healing.

Louise, I, too, "lost" my oncologist so I understand how you feel. My oncologist has been gone now for over a year (she moved on to Mayo in Jacksonville Florida) and I remember how devastating it was for me to have to say good bye. She was a breast cancer survivor also - a very brilliant woman - a little "spit fire" I liked to call her - believed in being aggressive and all 100 pounds of her rode a Harley (my husband REALLY loved that about her) I was "assigned" another oncologist but after doing some of my own research chose a different one. My new oncologist is very nice and very brilliant as well but he isn't my first. I think because she "carried" me throughout treatment and was my "lifeline" in a manner of speaking - well, I think you feel a special attachment to them.

BUT, now I am well. Surviving and thriving and GOD WILLING this onc. will never have to walk with me during treatment. As a matter of fact, after our 2nd visit together I remember saying to him "you and I hopefully will never have a real close relationship because I won't be here that often." He said "that is always what we hope for."

God's prayers for continued healing........to both you and your daughter.

Love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Hello Dear Friend

Louise, I missed you Sweetheart. So happy to read your post. I will continue to pray for not only you & hubby, but your daughter and grandson as well. What an accomplishment for her, I am so proud. Do not be a stranger Love, keep us posted and visit us when you can. Will keep you in heart>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
weezie1053

Smile

Thank you for all of the emails. Had my last visit with my Onc today. It was actually a happy occasion. He is a Fellow so this is a big deal for him to finally move on to private practice. He encouraged me to have the MRI annually as long as the insurance will cover it. He encouraged me to stick with UVA vs. the local hospitals. He commented that even reading the MRI's takes someone very skilled in that area, and UVA is top knotch. He is making the arrangement for August, and I will see my surgical oncologist for the followup. I will get with her for a referral for an Oncologist at the same hospital for my next trip in Feb for the mammo. . I'll see the surgical Onc. after the MRI in Aug and the Onc after the mammo in Feb. He agreed that the highest rate of recurrence is generally in the 2 year mark; however, he remains optimistic that the Herceptin may have been my miracle drug. Let's hope so.

It's amazing how far we all have come on our journeys, and I am grateful we do not travel this road alone.

Amelia, you have found the best web site and resource out there for us HER2Neu'rs. The diagnosis can be earth shattering, but this web site is an integral part of our journey to recovery. Take it a day at a time.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Jean

Dear Louise,
Thank you for your update...you sound so strong and beautiful. Please keep us updated it is wonderful
to ready your joy.

I am sure your new dr. will prove to be perfect.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Paty

Dear Louise,

Please keep in touch. I love your posts, specially when your dx is so similar to mine. I will be reaching the 2 year mark late this month and pray to God that everythings keeps stable as up to now. I know how you feel now, as I am also entering the return to a 'normal' life after treatments, though life will never be again the same to what we used to call 'normal'. Our life is now enriched by blessed experiences and with a new path to follow in the struggle to fight bc and to help others in the way of the pink ribbon. God bless you, your daughter and your entire family. I'll be looking forward to your posts.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote